Quantcast

Questions About Leg and Elbow Armor

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
I am in need of some cool armor because I'm tired of leaving my skin on the trails lately. I have some old Azonic knee/shin guards, but they are freakin hot! A few questions:

- Anyone ever heard of Mace Body Armor? They have a knee/shin set that looks pretty good. I've never heard of them.

- How about the new Roach Rally FR stuff? What's their sizing like?

- What are you wearing for trail riding (freeriding)?

Thanks!

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
The new Roach Rally stuff. DH if you want the most protection, but FR if you want a little more mobility. The new Fox 911 stuff is pretty good too, and Dainese is very comfortable, except when applied to your wallet. I am 6' tall w/ relatively skinny legs, and I wear Roach size L.
I have heard of Mace, and plan on getting their jacket, but I haven't checked out their leg stuff. I am so impressed with the Roach stuff though that I wouldn't look elsewhere.
And for the record, I do pedal-powered freeriding, but I don't strap on pads until I get to the top.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
After smacking my knees hard a few times, I just replaced my Fox 911 knee/shin armor with Roach Rally FR. So far it's awesome, more coverage around the knee (you can tell from pics that the knee cup wraps around more, plus there is more padding above the knee too) and the back is open for decent ventilation if it's hot where you ride. Plus you don't need to take your shoes off to get 'em on and off.

I'm 6' and built, er, solidly. The large size fits well in the shin and is a little loose in the knee. The mediums were too tight in the shins so I got the larges, so far after a few bails I've had no slippage. With sizing the only way to know for sure is to try 'em.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Originally posted by math2014
Any comments on the 661 4x4 and 2x4 armor? is it any good? i am trailriding, around 20miles per ride...
Here's a comment:
"You will want to shoot yourself"
The 4x4's are too hot, and chafe nicely on your skin, and offer very little impact protection. Sure, they're cheap, and better than nothing, but once you have them, you will want to get something else, especially if you're pedaling that far.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by erikkellison
Here's a comment:
The 4x4's are too hot, and chafe nicely on your skin, and offer very little impact protection. Sure, they're cheap, and better than nothing, but once you have them, you will want to get something else, especially if you're pedaling that far.
Cool, price is no issue here...i just asked since they looked nice.

My other options are Fox911, 661Race, Dainese...

Basically i could use some confidence boost from the armor, and ofcourse to prevent damage during a fall, but bear in mind that i dont go big, i trail-ride, with some FR/DH bias, which may sound pretty lame or easy to what you guys are used to do (which i want to reach as a riding-level soon...).

Erik, thanks for pointing me away from the 4x4

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Originally posted by erikkellison
Here's a comment:
I'm going to have to disagree. Yes, they are hot, but what pads are not hot? I never got chafed by my pads, and they do offer some protection. True, they are better for street, but I used mine for trail/FR too. and...... they protect against the worst thing of all: PEDALS!

Now, thats not to say I dont like my Roach pads better...........:)

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
i have the Mace leg armor, search the archives for a detailed description. They are pretty good and offer more protection than the Dainese/generic leg pads. Never sampled the Roaches, but they look pretty good and in the same league as far as coverage.

Ruprick

Chimp
Apr 28, 2004
kootenay
I've been using the dh roach rally pads for a season and a half and they work really well. With the holes in the plastic and air channels through the padding you can actually feel a breeze on your on your legs. They have lots of coverage and are not too restrictive to pedaling although they are stiffer than the old style roach's.

(edit) I'm 5'9 with thick legs and use the mediums.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
For just trail and FR the 4X4 pads are great. No chafing and breath alright. They are not for DH. They are a good for light crashes and tip overs. They are the perfect pad for the right person.

Dont get me wrong here I also have a set of the new Roach DH pads for shuttles and DH racing and charilift access.

The 4X4 pads are light so you can pack them in your pack for XC and trail riding. I use mine on every trail ride no matter how long. I just toat them to the top and pad up and then head DH.

It depends on what you are looking for.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by Kanter
For just trail and FR the 4X4 pads are great. No chafing and breath alright. They are not for DH. They are a good for light crashes and tip overs. They are the perfect pad for the right person.

Dont get me wrong here I also have a set of the new Roach DH pads for shuttles and DH racing and charilift access.

The 4X4 pads are light so you can pack them in your pack for XC and trail riding. I use mine on every trail ride no matter how long. I just toat them to the top and pad up and then head DH.

It depends on what you are looking for.
That is exactly what i ll be doing, trailriding with several road miles in order to get to the trail. I just wanted something for extra protection on potential crashed during a DH part of the trail, plus to be able to hammer singletrack without having to care about branches/bushed/thorns...
for the same reason i carry a Fox fullface helmet, in my backpack, and i wear it when i enter the woods.

You reckon that 4x4 is fine for this purpose? I am not looking for DH armor, just for something lighter with which i will be able to pedal freely (or almost) and for something that will be able to offer me "some" warmth during cold days at the same time.

Yours
Yannis

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Originally posted by Freak
I'm quite fond of the Rockgardn armor.:D
As I think everyone knows on here!;) I am partial to Rockgardn stuff, awesome products, awesome company. Airframe knee/shin fit awesome, stay in place, are fairly light weight, comfortable and good protection.

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by mplutodh1
As I think everyone knows on here!;) I am partial to Rockgardn stuff, awesome products, awesome company. Airframe knee/shin fit awesome, stay in place, are fairly light weight, comfortable and good protection.
Hey Matt,

You have chicken legs like I do, so what size Rockgardn do you wear?

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Originally posted by bikeguy100k
Jason,

Have you tried the elbow guards from Rockgardn? If so, what size do you wear?:D
I don't have the elbow guards, but for the leg armor, they have measurements on the site so you can determine which size you need.