Quantcast

Questions about running

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
My wife and I recently started running.
To start out the shoes that I had were horrid. I had to stop all physical activity for two weeks because my knees hurt so much.

So I got fitted for a pair of running shoes and what a difference.
Well after a couple weeks of running the muscles on the front of my shins start cramping up hard as a rock and it hurts to run.

What should I do? I have read that raising the heels with insoles will help is this true?

thanks

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Too much to fast - just starting running is the clue. Stop running until the pain is gone and then start back with a slower pace and shorter distances. Just because you can run fast does not mean you should - your average effort should be fairly comfortable at all times. :)

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
You should also try ankle rolls. We used them during XC and track season and they seemed to help. Basically sit down, one foot elevated, point out toes and bring back in, it's a circular motion. 20-40 in each direction for each leg is a great warmup. You can also do them at your desk.

If you had pain in your knees it may have been cause by pronating(in or out). I assume that is what the fitted shoes helped with. Keep an eye on that knee pain as it will probably come back as the shoes wear out. As for elevate heels, never heard of it, but if you have already shelled out cash for fitted shoes you might not want to screw with the position of the foot. Best bet is take it easy and wait until the muscles, bones, and tendons are ready for more serious effort.

The Ito

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
CrAckErKorEan said:
To start out the shoes that I had were horrid. I had to stop all physical activity for two weeks because my knees hurt so much.

Well after a couple weeks of running the muscles on the front of my shins start cramping up hard as a rock and it hurts to run.

What should I do? I have read that raising the heels with insoles will help is this true?

thanks
Ice is your friend.

CrAckErKorEan said:

thanks
I can't mountain bike* anymore** because of some bad injuries I've had in my neck, so I just started running, and this caused all sorts of bodily havoc.

Anyway, the sage advice I've gotten from my really hot physical therapist*** is don't increase more than 10% time (or distance) each week to your run.

Too much too soon is the cause of your knee and shin pain.

Also, if you do some really light stretching of your shins and 5 minute walking before you run reduces the pain.

-Another halfbreed.

*apparently, I fell on my head too often as a child/drunken college coed.
**this is really depressing, since I had just learned to mountain bike, and am now confined to rail trails and other boring crap.
***he's really, really, hot. and married. dammit.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
dirtgirl said:
I can't mountain bike* anymore** because of some bad injuries I've had in my neck, so I just started running, and this caused all sorts of bodily havoc.

Too much too soon is the cause of your knee and shin pain.

Also, if you do some really light stretching of your shins and 5 minute walking before you run reduces the pain.
I wondered where you've been. Sorry to hear your singletrack days are over. :(

Good tips on the shin pain. I've always wondered why my shins ache when I run.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I remember reading somewhere that the primary cause for shin splints is the lack of proper arch support. Try getting a decent insole to help you out.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
CrAckErKorEan said:

thanks
It could be shin splints or compartment syndrome.

That's why I started biking, because it was either get surgery or cut down on running for me. Compartment Syndrome of the Anterior Tibialus muscle, the muscle that works in opposition to your calf muscle can sometimes become too big for it's space and cause a ton of pain. After running I can see bumps the size of quarters that stick out of my shins a good 1/8 of an inch (like little nipples :help: ). This is caused by the muscle pushing and breaking through the surrounding tissue.

Running hills and on hard surfaces ( such as pavement) further aggravates it.

Go to a Doctor. It can be dangerous if your muscles seize into a spasm it could make walking difficult at best.

Winder is in the sticks! Fort Yargo is nice though!

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
Its been a while since I have been on RM. I am working full time and going to school in the evenings.

The fitted shoes took care of the knees and I was able to run for two weeks without problems. After that the shins started hurting. I did some poking around on the net and somebody suggested on raising your heels just slightly. I took a cheap pair of insoles and cut the heel off and it seemd to work. But I didnt get to finish my whole run. I hit a root and twisted my ankle 90 degrees and came down on it. OUCH needless to say there is no running well at least tuesday.

Hopefully its not to much to soon because I would be running a whopping 1/2 mile to start out with.

Is it possible that my weight ( just at 2 bucks) compressed the heels in the shoes enough to make a difference and to cause my shin pain?

Thanks for hte help and suggestions
MAybe some super feet are in order

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
I really don't have anything to help.

Just wanted to replay 'cause it was 10 years ago that I had to stop running because of injuries & pain & starting biking...

Funny-that.

:monkey:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
ET_SoCal said:
I really don't have anything to help.

Just wanted to replay 'cause it was 10 years ago that I had to stop running because of injuries & pain & starting biking...

Funny-that.

:monkey:
Almost 10 for me too! Dr.s said :nope: to running and :thumb: to cycling.