Quantcast

Questions on a bunch of stuff.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
1st off, 510's, high or low top? How have peoples experiences been with them?

Any recomendations on flat pedals, light weight, good grip and concave.

Does anyone make a Fox 40 top crown with integrated stem?

Im planning on running Michelin tires this year, which one do you recommend for an all around tire? Some mud, dry, open slipe, roots, rocks....

Sram X.0 or Shimano 105?

Recommendations on cranks? I am mainly looking at Holzfellers, im looking for light but nice and strong.

Sorry about this post, im bored, and just figuring out what to get for the ucomming season.

Thanks, Dan

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
1) I have both. Low's for just about everything. High's for knarly rocks.
2) Sun pedals have worked well for me. Other's have had good luck with the Specialized low profiles pedals.
3) no clue. use the search function since I know this has been adressed multiple times.
4) Use Maxxis DHF's or High Rollers for all around.
5) Sram, Sram, Sram
6) Holzfellers - I have been using the same pair for 3 years and they are still straight. They are light too. For 2006 I am going to the outboard bearing version.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
rockymt21 said:

Im planning on running Michelin tires this year, which one do you recommend for an all around tire? Some mud, dry, open slipe, roots, rocks....

Sram X.0 or Shimano 105?

Recommendations on cranks? I am mainly looking at Holzfellers, im looking for light but nice and strong.

Sorry about this post, im bored, and just figuring out what to get for the ucomming season.

Thanks, Dan

1) Depends, I wear lows, but I also use ankle braces, If you need extra support, get the highs.

2) Easton flatboy or cullys.

3) Go-ride

4) Around here (Nor-cal) You see people with comp 16 and 24. Your milage may vary.

5) I would say 105. can you afford to replace an X.0 derail every time you rip it off?

6)Holzfellers are the tits.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
chicodude said:
1) Depends, I wear lows, but I also use ankle braces, If you need extra support, get the highs.

2) Easton flatboy or cullys.

3) Go-ride

4) Around here (Nor-cal) You see people with comp 16 and 24. Your milage may vary.

5) I would say 105. can you afford to replace an X.0 derail every time you rip it off?

6)Holzfellers are the tits.

those are pretty much the exact same answers I was going to post

Nov 9, 2005
yea go-ride sells a switch crown for the 40 and its $150. i have high rollers front and rear and love them. their good all around be excel on rocks and dry trails (sb trails)

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
Risse is also making a Fox 40 crownset with a pressfit steerer (unlike the zokey ones they didnt) and boxxer standard mounts. You can get em in ano blue too.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
2. speedplay drillum
3. go-ride
4. micheline 24
7. husafeller or the lx Fr crank form shiamno or saint or hone

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
rockymt21 said:

Sram X.0 or Shimano 105?

Thanks, Dan
I've only tried the low 5-10s, but they worked well for me.

For flats, I've had good luck with Azonic A Frames, Shimano DX and Wellgos can be pretty decent too. The best performing pedals I have used are Atomlab Aircorps- just amazing grip.

I have used Michelin quite a bit. If you want one set of tires for everything, I'd go with Comp 16s. The 16 2.5 is a decent all around tire but the knobs are a bit much for hard/dry conditions but perfect for intermediate and soft-but-not-mud stuff. It could be made better for dry by trimming the knobs. The 24, in my experience, is terrible in the wet but very good in dry and hard. The 32 is decent everywhere but is a bit big for most people. I like it as a front tire especially when the course is intermediate or rocky and generally rough. For damping out the ride a bit, there's nothing better.

Why only X.0 or 105? One is probably 5x the cost of the other...For DH, I'd go with 105. I have owned both and would pick the 105 just because it works well and costs much less.

For cranks, I basically always recommend Shimano. I have had very few problems and have had many sets (admittedly none of them being the new 2 piece style). I use the previous generation of XT on my DH bike and it works perfectly. Spindles and bearings last longer than ISIS in my experience and are cheaper as well.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
rockymt21 said:

Sram X.0 or Shimano 105?

Thanks, Dan
-whatever type shoe you normaly wear
-welgo B-37
-dono
-dono
-XO
-hollow-tech saints

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Why someone would use an X.0 derailleur for downhill is beyond me. Get X.9. It's the cheapest Sram derailleur available in a medium cage and it shifts just as well.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
WheelieMan said:
Why someone would use an X.0 derailleur for downhill is beyond me. Get X.9. It's the cheapest Sram derailleur available in a medium cage and it shifts just as well.
Ive used them for the past 2 seasons and havent had any trouble. I don't understand how you guys rip derailliers off so easily.... Plus the x.o is the most rigid, its sick but ive heard good stuff about 105 too.

Dan

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
rockymt21 said:
Ive used them for the past 2 seasons and havent had any trouble. I don't understand how you guys rip derailliers off so easily.... Plus the x.o is the most rigid, its sick but ive heard good stuff about 105 too.

Dan

I broke a 105 short cage and I wasn't sad because it was 30 bucks.

Nov 9, 2005
yea i run a crappy shimano lx right now and i ride on very rocky trails and have never ripped it off or as far as i kno com very close to. is the XO worth the extra hundred bucks is the big question

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
rockymt21 said:

Sram X.0 or Shimano 105?

Thanks, Dan

2) Tioga MX Pro! These are so under-rated. Awesome grip and light weight. I've tried tons of flats and these are the best.
5)105. Cheap, high performance, and you can worry about riding your bike instead of protecting your carbon derailleur.
6)Holzfellers all the way. Light and strong, you can't go wrong.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
rockymt21 said:

Dan
I don't actively destroy deraillers, but the thought of doing it to one that cost's as much as an X.O. makes my skin crawl.

I had an XO on my xc bike a while back and it worked awesome, but for the money, I'd stick with X9.

I've recently become a shimano re-convert though. Even though their deraillers are super clanky/noisy compared to SRAM, I like the rapid fire shifters.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
1) I have only used the low tops and I have never had a problem with hitting my ankles so I do not see a need for the high top. if you have sensitive ankles or you would like more ankle support then it would probably not be a bad idea to use them.

2) I have allways run Easton Cullys and loved them. They work espeically well with 5-10 shoes. But be carefull your first few days using new shoes and new pedals at the same time. You will feel like you are glued to the pedals and that can be scary until they break in. Didnt your new bike come with some Funn pedals? I would give those a shot they look nice and you allready have them.

4) Michelin Comp 16 2.5 Awesome all around Michy tire for the stuff you will usually see in the Northeast.

5) Not really a fair comparrison. Hopefully you will get better performance out of the X.0 I have exclusively run SRAM stuff the past few years but had alot of trouple with reliability. I really liked it when it was working but I had some troubles every once in a while and it is making me want to look around and try other options again. I used to run 105 and it was cheap, reliable, and worked well and quite frankly that is all I care about when I am picking out parts for my DH bike.

6) For Cranks I really like the Shimanos.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
heikkihall said:
2) I have allways run Easton Cullys and loved them. They work espeically well with 5-10 shoes. But be carefull your first few days using new shoes and new pedals at the same time. You will feel like you are glued to the pedals and that can be scary until they break in. Didnt your new bike come with some Funn pedals? I would give those a shot they look nice and you allready have them.

nope thats mine

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Just a note: I was riding at Mtn Creek this season. I remember thinking earlier that day about getting DH specific SPD shoes like Hematomas or something as I was using XC race shoes (thin all around, carbon sole etc). I figured it was a waste of money. Later that day I crashed in the woods and smashed my ankle directly. At a collegiate race this season I also hit a drop and my foot flew out of the pedal right as I went over the edge. The bike bottomed and my foot slammed into the ground. Hurt like a bitch for about a week. In either case, I think high top shoes would have meant reduced or no injury.

As for the X.0 vs. 105 debate, wrecking deraillers is odd...I haven't done it in about 2 years but I've wrecked 3 in a month before. For any derailler, it's all about luck. I have not heard any convincing arguments for one brand being stronger than another because they all can be wrecked with one fairly low-impact hit to the right place. Once I had one break in half riding in the back of a car. The bike shifted and snapped the thing in half.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
1. lows with some 661 braces, gives ya better support.
2 Flats like thw a-frames and cullys myself when i use them.
3. Don't use michis no help there
4. I have the switch on my 888, great crown stem combo, i'm sure the 40 version is just as good
5. like the SRAM better, but use an x-9
5 Holzfellers are nice...i'm using v-drive extremes and they hold up plus they are like $60 and are easy to replace.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I like the hi-tops but I don't wear braces. My high tops have lots of scuffs and tears that would have been skin. Plus you get a little ankle support without needing a brace.

I ride atomlab aircorps and shimano DX flats, the bearings on the shimano's are better but the low profile of the aircorps is sweet.

Been rocking Kenda for a little over a year but I just bought a pair of Minion DHF because people rave about them and I want to find out for myself.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
rockymt21 said:
Low tops. I used to run high top intense shoes and i hated them. My ankles are pretty bad from playing rugby, but i find that the low tops have ample support.

Revells. Thinner in profile than Eastons, yet a lot wider and longer. Plus the bearings are very long lasting. If you're not too fussed about weight you could try the Azonic A-frame or the Funn soljam Viper.

Go ride do. However, i personally think its a very bad idea. From experience 40s are too stiff as is, even when running a conventional stem (hence why they crack at the arch), and i think the extra forces generated from the integrated stem make them even worse. I'd just stick with a low rise low profile stem like Dangerboy's AK47 or the Thomson Elite.

If you must, run comp 16s. They work well on hardpack and are very controlable on loose stuff in the rear. If it's loose (as in dry) run a comp 32 on the front- big in size but with loads of grip. For mud, the Mud 3 is the best mud tyre i've ridden... but hey, Maxxis are half the price and have more options.

Sram X.0 or Shimano 105?
Sram XO. The XO is light and stiff, and is the sturdiest Sram derailleur out there. I have broken several X9s but never bent or snapped an XO. However, the main spring in the XO body snapped on my derailleur, but Sram gave me a whole NEW derailleur free of charge, so i'm not going to argue.

Derailleur braking is pretty rare, i'm more worried about shifters braking.

Good choice. I'm running them on my 4x and DH bikes and they're perfect- light and strong. They're the cats pyjamas.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Daver,
here in the US Maxxis are actually $6-8 more than Michelin, which is shady since they seem to last 3 runs.
What didn't you like about the hi-tops? I run some 5-10's in the high, and they make a ton of sense to me. The only time I ride flats is when I need to push up, and I'm not very good at walking!

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
SuspectDevice said:
Daver,
here in the US Maxxis are actually $6-8 more than Michelin, which is shady since they seem to last 3 runs.
What didn't you like about the hi-tops? I run some 5-10's in the high, and they make a ton of sense to me. The only time I ride flats is when I need to push up, and I'm not very good at walking!
Sorry, i didn't realise the pricing was that. In Oz Maxxis are $50 for any tyre, michelins are $110 for the cheapest one. So basically, for a pair of comp 32s its the same as 2 pairs of slow reezay minions. Hence why i havn't personally touched another brand of tyre for the last season.

I didn't like the bulk of the high tops. I guess i like to be able to move my feet around a lot when i ride, hence why i'm still coming to grips with my hematomas while i corner. I used to run ankle braces too, but now without them i still like the low cut shoes.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Dan i just got 5 10s low top, absolutly love them, very sticky, not for everyone, if you like your inner ankle bone intact go with the high tops, if your going for steeze go low top:p