Quantcast

Quick boxxer question

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
Just took the spring out to change it in my 07 boxxers and the oil is super thick well youd all it oil but it looks like grease, it is quite cold but it certainly isnt that cold. I dont realy want to change it but should I? i do have some10wt that i could use but im not sure how i could get the old stuff out because its so thick. what weight do they use standard? and what weight if i change it should i put in?

also if i dont need to change it, will the amount of oil(grease) stuck on the spring make a difference because it is so thick theres no real way i could get it off and put it back in the fork

AlexYuen

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
What??
Here you go~~

Just took the spring out to change it in my 07 boxxers and the oil is super thick well youd all it oil but it looks like grease, it is quite cold but it certainly isnt that cold. I dont realy want to change it but should I? i do have some10wt that i could use but im not sure how i could get the old stuff out because its so thick. what weight do they use standard? and what weight if i change it should i put in?

also if i dont need to change it, will the amount of oil(grease) stuck on the spring make a difference because it is so thick theres no real way i could get it off and put it back in the fork

Attachments

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
that seems super thick for 15! do they put a thicker one in stock for some strange reason or somthing? also will the ammount on the spring make a huge difference?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
dont worry about it being thick, its only for lubrication.
the reason they use thick oil i think is so that it wont leak even if the seals are in bad shape.

just whatever oil on hand.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
dont worry about it being thick, its only for lubrication.
the reason they use thick oil i think is so that it wont leak even if the seals are in bad shape.

just whatever oil on hand.

well it being thick means it wont drain so theres now no oil on the springs because it had turned greaselike and there is a lower level also i hadnt noticed them making noises before and now suddenly they are.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
aah that makes sense, i did originally think it was but when i compressed the forks i couldnt see any oil so i assumed that was it. is it just a realy low level? also does the new one need greasing becuse i can now hear it inside the fork hitting the edge. Ive never noticed greased springs in any other forks though, is it just somthing they do in factory?

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
:poster_oops: ok sory being very stupid.:bonk:

read the serivce guide and it looks like i do need some grease, at the moment i only have mobil blue grease, which is a multi pupose, i have a feeling that it wont be right(it doesnt say what its soluble in) but i need a oil soluable one i assume that mprep is one of these?