Quantcast

QUICK FR/urban HT

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
I'm thinking its time to build up a bike specifically for urban, but would also be capable on the trail. I've ridden a couple at the shops -- last was the Fisher Bitter which was way too portly. I want something that's flickable -- something I can whip through Boston traffic, then careen off a set of stairs. It doesn't have to actually be light, it just has to feel like it is. And with a fork that doesn't sap the ride.

Pricewise I'd like to keep it reasonable. I'd be down for a used frame off here or fleabay and building it myself. There's a balfa minuteman on craigslist locally but it looks kinda eh.

And disc brake ready. Ever since getting my Hayes, I'll never go back.

Throw some suggestions my way. I'm willing to compromise on some things since this will be my first bike of this style.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
You sound like you are after a steep head angle and short-ish chainstays to achieve the feel you are after. I suggest you look at hardtails that are designed with 4X racing in mind. They will tend to have these characteristics. Revell bikes have some of the steepest head angles around, but you should look around for yourself.

As for forks, I like old Marzocchi Dirt Jumpers, but any fork you can pump up hard and doesn't weight too much will be great.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Think seriously about buying used. I got an Identiti Dr. Jekyl complete with a DJ3 and Halo wheels for $550. The trick is to not rush it and just wait around for the perfect bike.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
if it isnt a p.2, then maybe a p. series would be the way to go. also look at the cannondale chase. i rode one and loved it. If yuo get used components, or already have most of the build, you can get a kona scab frame from www.wheelworld.com for $179. i have one and love it. even though it is 4230 chromoly, it feels rather light, and nimble. not much tire clearance though. the biggest i could fit was a 2.5 hookworm. i doubt a 2.5 knobby would fit.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
good recommendation, the giant stp-1. as long as you dont know what spiking is (i wont go into detail) and dont ride super rocky/rooty trails, the fork would work super slick.

WOOT! TURBO MONKEY!

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
yeah, definately look at an Evil DOC. sweet frames. I've also heard that the Giant STP's feel really light/flickable.

really, the key would be to find some people or shops in your area and ride some of the hardtails... if you can, of course. But it would really give you an idea

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
Endless Lifetime

Steep headangle, short chainstays and roomy cockpit. The frame is light and flickable, yet still stable at speed.

I use it for everything, street, DJs and even for the weekly XC ride.

This frame lends itself to a light build. Everyone that rides my bike imediately notices how light it is. It handles really, really well and it's great to be able to just raise the seat and pedal to the DJs, the skatepark or whatever (the roomy cockpit allows for confortable commuting).

It's made for a rear 24" wheel, so if that's not a con for you, I recommend it :thumbsup:

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
For the kind of riding you're talking about I'm gonna throw in the Planet X Jack Flash in there as well. Fits your description perfectly. I just built one up and it's super light, VERY flickable.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Guys, Evils aren't exactly 'reasonably' priced...

Chase or P Series = Not bad, but he said he wants a fast feeling bike. Neither of those is a fast feeling as a 4x bike.

What about one of those GT Motos? They are cheap, and designed for 4x.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
buy a used EVIL imperial, the original owner couldn't break it, you willn't and the kid you sell it to willn't eather. that should drop the $ some. revel is a good idea to. a case is flickable, it might not feel fast but it feels tight which is what you want for urban.