Quantcast

quick question about helmets!!!

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
ok, so im kinda more or less new at this whole gig!! i have a lot of bmx history and a LOT of dirtbike time in.... so, i just bought a new KHS xc-204 as my first FS. it seemed nice enough to see if i really wanna drop $3-$4k into a really sick bike! so, im just starting to ride and realize that i am a little too ballsy for my own good and have wadded myself up a couple of times already! so, i figured that my dumb-ass needs a brain bucket.. as far as "fitting in" or just plain not looking like a jack-ass is concerend....... does anyone ever wear thier dirt bike helmets when riding?? i've got a really nice kevlar(super light) moto helmet and im wondering if ill look like a fish riding trails with it on..... i wanna fit in so i can chat with super hot babes all day on the internet!!!!!! whatcha guys think.......?be easy and dont tell me if i bought a total piece of **** bike.....just let me figure it out for myself!!!! thanks a million!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
the only babes you will meet will think bikers are scum. so at least protect your head....

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
ROFL.. i really dont know why i added that in there.... i guess i had a few corona's in me.... i guess i need to bone up and go buy a purpose-specific helmet... unless wearing a moto helmet is common practice.. it just sucks cuz i have a different f-ing helmet for every day of the week.! hockey helmet, river helmet, street bike helmet, dirt bike helmet..... **** my firefighting helmet... now i need to go by a gosh dang ol' mtb helmet....

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
A moto helmet is overkill for a bike. Get yourself a good fitting bicycle helmet. It will breathe better than a moto helmet, which is a major consideration in warmer weather. Go to a bike store and try on a bunch of different helmets, and buy the one that fits the best.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
So let me get this correct you were not wearing a helmet at all ..??????????...with some dirtbike time I am suprised you have not noticed .......crap happens ....unless you are going to ride on a rail trail which would be as much fun as watching paint dry.. you are going to have a couple wrecks so chances are you are going to HIT YOUR HEAD.....

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
ok, so check this out! this morning i went into town and bought a 661 full face helmet that was on sale... i was kinda going to get a reg bike helmet for comfort, but knowing how stupid i can be at times, i opted for the full face.. it was marked $129.99 and they sold it to me for $68.?? after tax... not too bad.. so i went up and rode fat mans loop right after with an added sense of security with my new helmet and pads! I ate **** so freaking bad...lol i did a cute little otb maneuver off of a 2' step off that imeadeatly followed another approx. 2' step off. i got a little road rash all down my left side and ****ed up the paint all down the side of my new helmet, from the chin about 8-10 inches up the left side... my face would have been hash had i not bought the full face! I just thought that it was a little ironic! so, there ya go, i thought that i would share my day with you!

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
i use a motocross helmet, IMO they are better, and stronger, but they are probably the same..I use my chest protector made by thor, but i'm getting the pressure suit by 661 since i've had some really close calls...i did the same thing man, i was like motocross helmet or bmx..i took the moto, if i didn't i wouldn't be talking to you right now..woulda popped my temple wide open..

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Some DH racers who go really, really fast use moto helmets because they are designed for the high speed impacts. The general consensus is that if you are just rolling around, a MTB helmet is softer than a moto helmet and thus a better idea for slow speed stuff.

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
well, i was riding with my moto helmet, which is an exensive fly racing helmet. but this new 661 helmet is a little softer inside like mtn bike helmets mentioned before and vents a little better and the best improvment was the increased visibility out of the 661.... i am all about the full face! it does NOT take all that hard of a crash to mess up your face and/or jaw in a big way! I see trauma on a daily basis so im a little wierd about it all! and like i said, i would be in a bad way right now if i had chose comfort over saftey! And i was not going all that fast! i just went over the bars and down a little drop right into a freakiun rock! anyway, i guess this post doesn't even really have a point or purpose, so for that i appologize!

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
no its all good, but same, i was going fast(brakes really don't help in the air) its just your momentum and what you ar eriding..you can be riding a race bike(lance armstrong style) and fall at 30 and get up, and go dhing and fall at 5 and die..

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
werd! i wont ride with out a full face anymore after my accident the other day... **** happens! and it seems to happen to me all of the time!