Quantcast

Quick Release Skewer and Disc Brakes

What side is the Lever of your Quick realse on on your rear wheel ?

• On the brake side

Votes: 27 93.1%
  • On the Derailer Side

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

splat

Nam I am
Ok When using standard Quick release I have always kept the on the non drive so it doesn't interfere with the Derailer .

now throw disc brakse into the equation. Omn the front I now that the lever on the side away from the brakes . but in the Rear ? which side do you have the lever on ?

Deraileur or Brake side ?

J

JRB

BikeGeek said:
Some QR levers come pretty close. The Salsas come to mind.
Mine don't come close to hitting. They are a bit of a chore to open when they are super tight, but I run them on the non-drive side.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I put it on the brake side, but it's out of habbit and I have no idea why I started doing it to begin with. Sort of like the whole valve stem/tire label thing. Just sort of happens that way.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I always had the QR on the disc side. No interference issues, but gotta be careful after a long descent if you need to open it up: don't brush up against that rotor. Ouch!

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
jimmydean said:
I put it on the brake side, but it's out of habbit and I have no idea why I started doing it to begin with. Sort of like the whole valve stem/tire label thing. Just sort of happens that way.
Likewise, never been an issue. That's a b!tchin' new avatar you got there Splat.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Bike one: Neither side (10mm axle w/bolt)

Bike two: No choice but the drive side (flaoting caliper mount)

In the past I always ran the QR on the drive side and never experienced deraillleur interference.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
a lot of bike shops dont like to put it on the disc side, because people who dont know any better use the rotor as leverage for their fingers to mush the lever closed. So to prevent people from burning their fingers or bending their rotor we always put it on the otherside. It is a little harder to do with the derailleur in the way

moral of the story: as long as you arent retarded and grab the rotor when you close it, the disc side is easier.