Quantcast

quick release to solid axle conversion?

Dec 30, 2009
hey guys, i have a shimano deore mtb quick release hub.
I want to convert it to a solid axle because it would hold my wheel better on a horizontal drop out. i called a local bike shop and they told me labor to convert would just be 10 bucks w/o the part. but i am afraid if i get the part from them... they'd charge me alot extra.

so what parts do i need specifically.
the axle needs to be 10mm i believe. and the width of the hub is 135mm if you need that.

if you guys can find the link to an axle i could use let me know :]

itd be very appreciative. Today i put on everything but the cranks, so it should look great. =]

thanks!

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
you need to factor in dropout width and the axle nuts / washers. another inch on each side of the axle should accommodate all that.

Dec 30, 2009
you need to factor in dropout width and the axle nuts / washers. another inch on each side of the axle should accommodate all that.
that link showed me like a few types of axles i should get.
theres a few that said solid, and then a few that said QR

which ones should i get?

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
If the shop is only charing you $10 labour to swap the axle just buy the axle from them.

You aren't going to get ripped off...

even if you buy the axle online it doesn't sound like you are able to do the work yourself anyways...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If the shop is only charing you $10 labour to swap the axle just buy the axle from them.

You aren't going to get ripped off...

even if you buy the axle online it doesn't sound like you are able to do the work yourself anyways...
They should charge you about $15 for the parts. $10 labor for a hub rebuild is pretty reasonable. Just take it to them.
Yup, something an axle and cones is gonna be pretty reasonably priced from your LBS.

FWIW I did this conversion on an old XT hub of mine, and it worked out fine. never had an issue with it.