Quantcast

Race catagorys

Pow pow

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
Scotland
I’ve just read that thread on getting another race category. I didn't realise you guys over in the USA have two courses at a national race! How many categories do you guys have?
For comparison we have (In the UK)

Juvenile 12 & 13
Youth 14 & 15
Junior - 16 & 17
Senior 18 - 29
Masters 30 - 39
Veterans 40+

We then have Expert and Elite, you have to qualify through the British cycling rankings to get to these categories and there are generally about 45 elite riders and 80 or so expert's.

To race a national you have to own a British cycling race license.
To gain points for a regional race series you need to own a race license.

How many riders are you likely to get at a race? (about 300 here and they always sell out really quick)

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I moved to Canada last year from the UK and I was surprised that they had no senior category as such. They have novice, which ends up being similar to "open" at a UK National, as it's for unlicensed riders and riders holding their license for their first year. Once you've held a race license for a year or more you're automatically "Expert", then you have to qualify for "Elite" on a points basis. It is usually possible to get bumped up to Expert even if technically you should be in novice though. This is what I've done this year.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Not sure where in canada you are, but those are not CCA categories. Canada uses the official UCI categories.

Sport, Expert, Elite, Masters. All categories except Elite have age brackets, as per UCI regs. No CCA sanctioned races have an unlicensed class due to insurance issues.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
And over here, the Juniors can race when they are 18.

And we get about the same amount of riders at the smaller, big races. Nationals, you can get easily in the upwards of 500 riders.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
In Quebec, Canada.

Classes are:

Cadet 15 & 16 year old

Junior 17 & 18 year old - two divisions Expert and Sport

Senior 19 to 29 year old- three divisions Elite, Expert and Sport.

Masters 30 +

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
In the US we have pro, semi-pro, vet pro, extra pro, transvestite, junior sport 12.2-13.7, junior masters, expert, expert and a half, and footrace