Quantcast

Race/Comp at Country Park?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Sounds like a fun idea. I will see if Michelin has any thing they can throw in for a prize. Dave and I may come up tomorrow to ride at CP if the weather is going to hold out. What time do you guys normally get there on Saturdays? Plus what is the best way to get there coming from I-85 South?

danW

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
Greensboro
motomike said:
If you guys are serious about this, come to the build day and talk it over with Mark and Crusher, then Bill(park manager).

Moto is correct - build day could be very productive, we'll get the course fixed up, and hopefully handle park/city logistics..."entry fees" have a way of bringing unwanted attention to issues of liabilities/insurance etc. - all the more when your on city/park land...still I hope it can happen!

On build day - I'll bring a cooler filled w/bottled water...

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
danW said:
Moto is correct - build day could be very productive, we'll get the course fixed up, and hopefully handle park/city logistics..."entry fees" have a way of bringing unwanted attention to issues of liabilities/insurance etc. - all the more when your on city/park land...still I hope it can happen!

On build day - I'll bring a cooler filled w/bottled water...
Thanks Dan. That's exactly the idea I'm trying to get across. Entry fees will bring unwanted attention. I don't see why it can't just be a big group ride where we give out some random donated prizes and stuff. A couple of stopwatches and we're set.

I think if we want a full-fledged race, we could do a pre-season DS race at Hobby Park like we talked about at the last race there.

danW

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
Greensboro
No doubt!

Actually only one other "local" knows about this, but there was an idea like this that we were going to put together - we were even willing to put up some of our own capital...the short of it is while planning it out, I consulted a lawyer friend of mine (who happens to be heavily involved with city affairs) strongly suggested against it...the basis of which had to do with the "backing entity" ...in other words who gets sued when something goes wrong:nonono: !

It would really suck if our beloved Bar Hump friends were held responsible for someone screwing up!...

Having said all of this - I'll still support Brandon/Tubby and be one of the first to put in whatever legwork needs to be done...Tubby's is a great guy, very well liked - I think he'd be a great guy to inspire and head this thing up - I'M GAME! :thumb:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Just talked it over with Dave and we are going to wait a week or two to come up. He has family in town for the next two weeks. We are going to hit up the Greenville jumps on Sat and do so DH runs at Paris Mt. Sunday around noon. If anyone want to come down we will hook you up with a place to stay. Saturday night we can always watch some of many MT. Bike videos I have on the 80" x 45" screen. Let me know.

Cecil

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
ummm...so if we do it w/ no entry fee and just keep it low key as a "group ride" then how would the insurance be any different than it is any other day at the park?

the only reason i was suggesting an entry fee was to cover the cost of the shirts...which we don't have to do...or we can take orders for them that day and just deliver them via recycles or something.

why not just change this to read: "Fun day at CP Ride with Prizes"

i really don't see any need for extra permission if we just keep it that way. we all agree to meet on a certain day, yet to be determined, and bring some dontated schwag/gag prizes. make up some judges to sit at the picknick table and viola! we have an underground comp. we can avoid the liability by making it more of a "i'll give you some schwag if you have the fastest run ....."
people are so liability petrified....this is no different than a bunch of us getting together and upping the ante in the name of fun and progression. so what if we can dish out some prizes for the winners.

wishihadmoney

Monkey
Dec 1, 2005
Boone, NC
im in if i get my p2 built up...by the way;),i need...a sc fork (mayb trade fer 03 jr t) a 32 toof chainring...4bolt pleeze, pedals, possibly rear wheel and sum kind of bashguard or chainguide...pleeze pm if u got nething u wanna sell(or give) me...thankee:D

danW

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
Greensboro
manimal said:
ummm...so if we do it w/ no entry fee and just keep it low key as a "group ride" then how would the insurance be any different than it is any other day at the park?

...then we're golden...no money no worries!...Lets do it - just let me know how I can help?!...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
danW said:
just let me know how I can help?!...
um....a glass of lemondade and a ham sandwich would be great sweety :D ;)

i'll have a better idea about a date later this evening. we may have to keep it flexible for weather concerns. maybe plan an alternate weekend if the first one is rained out.
is sunday better than sat for you guys or does it matter? if on sunday, we could start after 1pm for us church going types.

do you guys think that a PA system would be allowed since rule #3 of the zone is "no amplified music"? (remember that one mike? easiest one and you barely got it out down the trail :D )
if a PA is a problem we could just use walkie talkie's to do the timing and organizing.

srphillips89

Monkey
Jan 29, 2006
Boone NC
I don't hold much power at the shop, you know being in charge of waste management and all, but I'll try and see if Paceline can throw something in as far as prizes go.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Lets organize and make this thing happen, possibly late Spring or Summer if anyone thinks that is do-able. I would be glad to try and find some outside "sponsors" to donate prizes as well as food & drink for the competitors and "Event Staff".

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
WKC said:
Lets organize and make this thing happen, possibly late Spring or Summer if anyone thinks that is do-able. I would be glad to try and find some outside "sponsors" to donate prizes as well as food & drink for the competitors and "Event Staff".
i was thinking more of a pre-season, early spring time frame. summertime will be busy with regular season races. of course, we can pretty much have it as often as we like but i don't think the whole "event staff" deal would be in line with keeping it low key. this has to be completely off the radar.