Quantcast

Race Face Atlas FR with Shimano BB?

cubebiker

Chimp
Apr 9, 2008
Anybody tried that combo?
Does that save some weight? If, how much?
Are Shimano BB`s better or even worse than those delivered with the Atlas cranks?
I recently ordered the Atlas to replace my Saint 83/165. Just because of the weight. Now I heard that combining with Shimano's BB saves quite some...

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Should work fine since they're both 24mm spindle.
The Shimano external BB's tend to last a little longer in my experience. (Higher quality bearings, better seal, really tight tolerances, etc)

Not sure how much weight you'll save........
(although I'm sure there's a weight weenie on this forum who has an answer to that question...)

DaveyIntense

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Berwick
the only thing i know with shimano bb is they will last longer than the Race face ones, how much weight are you trying to save anyway's your talking like grams mate i don't think you will notice any difference besides its goo to have a bit of weight at the lowest point of your bike :)

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Yes it does work, thats what I run on my Sunday.

Didn't do it for weight though, did it to get rid of the dogsh*t X-Type BB.

cubebiker

Chimp
Apr 9, 2008
Well quality is even a better reason than just weight.
So normal installation, nothing special and did you apply that high torque that those Race Face cranks need?

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Yup, just stick it in like you would normally.

Nothing special at all. Mine appears to be fine thus far (5 months & counting).

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Big key to getting the RF bbs to last (or any bb with RF cranks) is to get the preload right.

Unlike shimano and Gravity that allow infinite and continious bearing adjustment, the RF cranks use a stupid shim system in 1/2mm increments. Try to add a half turn to your headset after it is properly adjusted for an equivalent.... It is VERY easy to overload the bearings and not notice due to the mass, leverage and friction in the system (bb, chain, guide, etc).