Quantcast

Race News: New Zealand National Series (north island Rd.1)

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
No willy waving in this thread please! There is a sad, sad amount of sadness on this forum!

After Justin Leov won Rd 1 and 2 of the South Island series (Matt Scoles won round three in Nelson, but there was no Trek Racing press release for that, ha), now it's time for the North Island series/cup.

Rd.1 was run yesterday in Rotorua (home of the best mountain biking in the world possibly) and just like in Nelson it was the old school head master of NZ downhill who qualified fastest. Unfortunetly he didn't get the win come race time(after a race run crash), but that went to Glenn Haden, who is back on DH form after an extended break after his 2008 National Champs win. Hopefully he can get a ride in Europe for 2010.

Nathan Rankin

However the south island heavies of Justin Leov and Cam "Horse" Cole where not in attendance, with current Junior world champ and 1st year Elite Brook McDonald out with a broken foot!

The top four were seperated by just 0.52 of a second in the finals. With the big surprises being "Sizzle" in 2nd place and Des Curry in 3rd who is another old schooler.

http://www.vorb.org.nz/results-2010-cup-round-rotorua-downhill-t104347.html

Pic:www.wideopen.co.nz

Last edited:

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
I sold my downhill bike, not motivated to ride it anymore and I was just getting even sloooooooower. Watching and taking photos is just as fun anyway :p

Seeing Sean McCarroll out there racing again was a little bit of a surprise, he went alright too!

Last edited:

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
Sean McCarroll.... that guy is rad. Cool to see he still rides.:thumb:
Haha :rofl: hadn't noticed I wrote Steve......must have been thinking of Steve McQueen or something lol

Dunno where Red Dog racing was, I thought Dan might have made it down from AUckland at least, but I think a lot of guys are holding off for the final at least sonce thats all they need to do to qualify for the overall national cup title