Quantcast

racelink fork

Jan 3, 2006
Hi,maybe it,s a stupid question ,buy why not; I can mount a mx fork like showa,kayaba ,ohlins o other brand on my bmw racelink ?
tanks.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
no. don't. the racelink is meant to be a race bike. not some super moto huck bike with pedals. you'll just rip the head tube off with such an idea.

just because it says brooklyn machine works on it. doesn't mean its a heavy, huck bike

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
Pretty sure Craig at Avalanche, sells custom valved Ohlins forks with custom crown and steerer so they can be mounted on a MTB.

My understanding is normally MX bikes have 1 inch steerers. So you would need custom crowns and a 1.125 steerer to mount MX forks on a MTB. Alternatively you could run a 1" headset but thats probably not a great idea given that a MX fork is going to be very long and will put more stress on the headset than a downhill fork.

Also keep in mind that MX forks are very heavy. The Avalanche MTN8 is basically an MX fork custom tuned for a MTB and built with lighter weight construction. It weighs something like 12lbs. Also most MX forks have 10+" of travel which will make your geometery totally whack.

Basically there is really no point in putting an MX fork like that on a MTB its too heavy and too long and without being modified internally will be way over damped and over sprung for a MTB.
You can buy the Avalanche MTN8 or MTN10 which is basically a modified MX fork.

If you put some ohlins stickers on the MTN8 most people will think your running an MX fork :brows:

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
just get the DHF-8 2lbs lighter then the MTN8 and feels almost as good. if not better, cause its not a boat anchor

i personally run a boxxer world cup. feels freakin great.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
I've seen guys with custom mounted 80cc dirtbike forks before. Bit of a freakshow, but it worked. Those have about 10" of travel, big bikes have close to 13". I do believe that they have 1.125" steerers too.