Quantcast

Racing at Bisbee and Gila

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Sitting in the hotel in Bisbee, AZ, just back from a Prologue/TT course preview for the stage race here. Tomorrow we have a 1.8 mile prologue, which is a steady climb and kicks up near the finish. Saturday is a 90 miles road race with a 7.2 mile TT in the afternoon. Sunday is an 84 mile road race. It should be fun, as United Healthcare and Fly V Austrailia both have full teams registered.

It's a bit chilly here, and there is a solid 30 mph wind and scattered showers.

After Bisbee we head to Gila, which has a stacked field(Lance et al.). Should be fun.

I'll update this thread after each stage, and I'll add pics once I get them uploaded; the scenery here is pretty sweet.

Seacrest out

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Did you get 15th or 50th? Those were the two Mikes I saw in the results

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
50th :(

Probably shoulda used my road bike, instead I opted for the TT bike.

Just finished the RR, it wasn't too bad. Now I gotta rest for the "real" TT.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I'll keep an eye out for him. What team does he race for?

I had a pack finish today in this morning's road race. There was a break up te road that our team missed. I took 35th in the afternoon TT, which moved me up to 38th on GC.

Hopefully I'll be able to hang tomorrow, we shall see.

I snapped some pics, just need to upload them.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Well I'm now here finally in Silver City. Sunday's road race was easy but hard. Our team's plan was to get in a break, because the yellow jersey had a huge lead and we figured Fly V would let a break go. I attacked a few times in the opening 20 miles, as did a couple of my teammates. Once I was back in the group, I noticed my front brake was rubbing on the rim. I tried to reposition it, but it went back to its same spot; it had come loose. Fvck.

Eventually, a teammate got off the front, and a few guys bridged up, so the pressure was off me to get in a break and I was able to try and figure out the brake situation. A bunch of riders stopped for a nature break, so I saw my chance and flagged the wheel car down...which didn't have an allen key. Balls. Back up to the group I went. The course was rolling for the majority, but had a 5 mile climb, which blew the race up in the closing miles. I got dropped near the top of the climb, and was able to find a group to descend with into town. I felt like I could have stayed with the leaders, but with Gila still looming, and the brake issue, I sat up. The final straw was when I heard the brake dragging on the rim, more of a mental thing probably, but it killed my motivation.

When we finished, I picked up my wheel and gave it a good spin and it stopped after about half a revolution. Not sure how much drag the translated to, but it still sucked. I ended dropping to 43rd on GC.

And, with no further ado: pics!

The whip

Loading up.

Riding through town. The prologue and both road races started here.

The team at the top of a climb

The town has some pretty cool buildings

We also prerode the TT course

There is a B on the hill for some reason

The town used to mine copper, silver, and turquoise. Mining operations were halted in 1976 when the value of copper dropped.

Another shot of the B

The town of Bisbee from above

The day of the prologue, we woke up to this; luckily we had another 10 hours 'til the race start.

The mine pit just south of the town

Here is a shot headed into Silver City, right near the turnaround for the out-and-back TT course of Gila.

An old log cabin near downtown Silver City

Our accommodations weren't quite ready when we got into town yesterday, so we parked at a park and went for a spin.

We just got back from riding the TT course. It's gonna be effing hard. Tomorrow's stage is a rolling 94ish mile road race that ends with a 6 mile climb that tops out at 19% in one spot. :shocked:

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
It's like some weird southwest thing. Alpine, TX has a big "A". I'm thinking, how can I not know I'm in Alpine??? Weird deal for sure. It's like, look at me, I can make letters with rocks. Or one letter anyway. :rofl:

I'll be watching news on you two this week. Good luck, Mike.