Quantcast

racing with a banshee Scream v2

stinkyboy58

Chimp
Feb 2, 2006
CA
hey guys i am on the verge of ordering my new banshee scream frame. i was just curious if ever got into downhill racing could i race my scream? and why or why not?

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
You can race any bike. Its not like they will self destruct upon riding them in a DH race, just like a Sunday won't explode if you 'huck' on it. It boils down to the rider, for the most part.

The Scream is not a good race bike. It is heavy and the suspension design isn't the best. If you want to race competitively you should get a different bike that is more race oriented, or at least lighter than the Scream.

Good luck.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Not ideal, but do-able. Why not look at something more oriented for what you're doing or at least more all-around?

SOil

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
matt12 said:
You can race any bike. Its not like they will self destruct upon riding them in a DH race, just like a Sunday won't explode if you 'huck' on it. It boils down to the rider, for the most part.

The Scream is not a good race bike. It is heavy and the suspension design isn't the best. If you want to race competitively you should get a different bike that is more race oriented, or at least lighter than the Scream.

Good luck.
Yes not ideal due to weight and geometry.
Nothing wrong with the suspension design tho, Barel seems to do ok...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I heard NORBA was going to ban the Scream, as it gave the rider an unfair advantage in cornering and pedaling in rough sections. Banshee is trying to take legal action, but going up against USAcycling takes a fair bit of $ and paper work. :dead:

Watch out for the headtube junction, there's a lot of pics floating around with that bike in two pieces.

SOil

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
bikenweed said:
I heard NORBA was going to ban the Scream, as it gave the rider an unfair advantage in cornering and pedaling in rough sections. Banshee is trying to take legal action, but going up against USAcycling takes a fair bit of $ and paper work. :dead:

Watch out for the headtube junction, there's a lot of pics floating around with that bike in two pieces.
I thought it was beacuse it was crushing poor litle moles that lived under the track :)

Haven't seen any of the pics of broken banshee headtubes

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
You can definitely race the Scream, anybody can race any bike, like matt12 said it boils down to you. If you really want to get into DH racing get something more like a DHR or Sunday, but if you're only going to race once in a while the Scream will be fine.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
bikenweed said:

That is the STUPIDEST argument i've ever heard in my life.

How does a bike that anyone can get at any bike shop give someone an unfair advantage?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
BigMike said:
That is the STUPIDEST argument i've ever heard in my life.

How does a bike that anyone can get at any bike shop give someone an unfair advantage?
Someone needs their sarcasm meter calibrated. :rofl:

Reptile

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Colorado
stinkyboy58 said:
hey guys i am on the verge of ordering my new banshee scream frame. i was just curious if ever got into downhill racing could i race my scream? and why or why not?
From the Scream tech manual:

With the 26” rear wheel set to the rear of the dropouts, the longer wheelbase is best at carving up high
speed DH tracks. In this wheel position, the suspension’s rising rate becomes more linear, which allows it
to rebound quicker from high speed hits. Use this set up for DH racing.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Unless its under 40lbs its not Ridemonkey approved.

Sure you can race it, it will be harder to pedal, and won't handle as well but as long as you have fun, keep it up.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
stinkyboy58 said:
Can you fix your signature so it says:

BOYS HAVE PENSISES GIRLS HAVE VAGINAS

Please? For some reason it's really irritating me.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Bicyclist said:
Can you fix your signature so it says:

BOYS HAVE PENSISES GIRLS HAVE VAGINAS

Please? For some reason it's really irritating me.
Nothing like extra plural penises and vaginas. :banghead:

Jun 18, 2004
stinkyboy58 said:
I'll sell you my scream and you can race it... let me know how it works out for U.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Reptile said:
From the Scream tech manual:

With the 26” rear wheel set to the rear of the dropouts, the longer wheelbase is best at carving up high
speed DH tracks. In this wheel position, the suspension’s rising rate becomes more linear, which allows it
to rebound quicker from high speed hits. Use this set up for DH racing.

wow thats a lot to digest in two contiguous sentences.