Quantcast

rack for pickup?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

Anyone have the instructions I've seen online to make a bike storage/rack for the back of a pickup truck? I know there was one floating around made with PVC pipe but wood would do fine too. I'd like to do this instead of tying all the bikes down. Just easier to get them in and out.

Just wondering

andym

Chimp
Mar 30, 2004
va
Here's mine. I'm going to change the mounts for the quick releases. The wood ones wobble a little so I'm going to make some out of metal. If you don't have a bed liner similar to mine it won't help much but it could give you some ideas.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
A friend has a Dodge Ram. He made a 2x4 rack like King's pic. Works very well. So well that he uses tie-downs only as an insurance measure when driving on the highway.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Originally posted by Repack
A friend has a Dodge Ram. He made a 2x4 rack like King's pic. Works very well. So well that he uses tie-downs only as an insurance measure when driving on the highway.
That's not my rack, I was just posting the link that I had bookmarked for the info that he requested.

I just use moto tie downs if the bikes are in the back of my truck. I think it is more secure than PVC and bungies. I do have a rack made out of steel that bolts to a flat bed snowmobile trailer for shuttling up to 9 bikes at a time.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Originally posted by ChrisKring
I do have a rack made out of steel that bolts to a flat bed snowmobile trailer for shuttling up to 9 bikes at a time.
Mine started life as a 1976 Datsun truck, then became a 120" x 80" flatbed. Rack holds 14, 15 if it has too.

I also have a 2x4 rack in the bed that holds 5 bikes, no straps needed. At least for "normal" driving.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
sportworks are expensive. I think it was $100 per wheel holder. Just seems alot (though I know they are nice)

I mainly wanted something to put in the truck bed or in the garage to store/hold the bikes.

The PVC idea looks like it might work though for what I need and it seems cheap enough to make!