Quantcast

Radar gun for DH?

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
THRILLSEEKA said:
We just asked our local Sheriff and he gleefully accepted to come out and "shoot" the racers. Top speed of the day won a new Boxxer WC. Pretty good day!
That's awesome - good way to raise interest in dhing and make it a more spectator friendly sport.
What was the top speed?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
manimal said:
it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to pick up a bike with a real radar. not enough metal for the beam to bounce off of.

trust me, i've tried..... A LOT
lol

They(race promotors) had a speed trap on the Kamakazi course at Mammoth Mtn for the Finals in 2000.

You went RIGHT BY them....I don't think we got to know how fast we were going :think:

It would have been fun to know.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
manimal said:
it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to pick up a bike with a real radar. not enough metal for the beam to bounce off of.

trust me, i've tried..... A LOT

I always ride past speed moniters around my area and they clock me... isn't that the same thing as a radar gun? Just built into a big box on the side of a street?

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
best way is just a GPS. i rode w/ a guy who hit 47.2mph at plattekill, tracked w/ a gps, going down some killer loose rock trail down a ski run. plus theres nothing much more accurate than GPS, other than maybe radar

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
jcook90 said:
best way is just a GPS. i rode w/ a guy who hit 47.2mph at plattekill, tracked w/ a gps, going down some killer loose rock trail down a ski run. plus theres nothing much more accurate than GPS, other than maybe radar

It seems like GPS could potentially give false readings, I don't know for sure how they work but I would guess they map speed as if the earth were flat. If you jumped off a cliff would the GPS say your speed is zero because you are falling straight down or would it actually measure your speed? If you are ridding down a steep hill it seems like the GPS could estimate your speed significantly slower than it actually is. What's wrong with a cycle computer, that's about as accurate as you can get.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Actually, civillian GPS is NOT very acurate. And computers are a friggin joke. Everytime you lift your front wheel it accelerates, therfore throwing off your time.
And whoever said radar guns don't pick up a bike???? WTF??? Try not to forget the 160 pound average rider ON the bike? I've gotten TWO speeding tickets on a bike. And the baseball comparo was right on. Nice job.

Sbabuser: Top speed was 44 on a grapefruit sized boulder field. Wasn't too shabby at all. Considering everyone was too scared to try and pedal as rims and tires were constantly being demolished on the run down and if you dared change your balance you lost your footing. Clips were the shizznit that day! too bad i don't run 'em!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
THRILLSEEKA said:
And whoever said radar guns don't pick up a bike???? WTF??? Try not to forget the 160 pound average rider ON the bike? I've gotten TWO speeding tickets on a bike. And the baseball comparo was right on. Nice job.
i did. typical police radar will only pick up a small signature of a bicycle, barely enough to lock in. if you've ever run one, it is based off of the dopler principle and it has a speaker so you can hear the tone. a small car has a weak signature even if there are no other cars around and a bike will come and go. i've had coworkers try to pick me up on it when i was doing well over 30 down a hill and they couldn't get a lock on me and i've never been able to pick up riders myself. i usually can't even pick up a moped unless it is the ONLY thing moving in the area.
baseball radars are not the same thing as police speed detection radars.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
THRILLSEEKA said:
Actually, civillian GPS is NOT very acurate. And computers are a friggin joke. Everytime you lift your front wheel it accelerates, therfore throwing off your time.
i think something isnt quite right with that impression.

unless you lift your front wheel by swiftly moving your mass center back while pushing the bike forward, at the same time you raise the front wheel.
and even then, i wonder what the magnitude of radial force exerted on the wheel would be and how much energy you´d be actually converting into the wheel´s I.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
ALEXIS_DH said:

unless you lift your front wheel by swiftly moving your mass center back while pushing the bike forward, at the same time you raise the front wheel.
and even then, i wonder what the magnitude of radial force exerted on the wheel would be and how much energy you´d be actually converting into the wheel´s I.
Unless you manual the entire course a computer will be very accurate, How much could the wheel actually accelerate/decelerate in the few moments its off the ground? If you're really concerned about it put the sensor on your rear wheel, it spends more time on the ground. Oh wait, if you skid alot your speed will be zero, so I guess that wouldn't work either. LOL

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
well i was just thinking it would be fun to try for sh!ts, giggles and braggin rights.
I wouldn't expect any accurate results from a 30 dollar kids toy.

The Boxxer WC giveaway idea is pretty good though.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
There was a radar speed trap set up at Snowmass. It was one of those you see along side of the road that tells you your speed. It picked up every rider I saw come down.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
That's funny, drunk friends of mine entertained themselves by running past a speed monitor on the side of the road. It was parked outside their house for awhile. I don't see how putting a bike underneath somebody makes them invisible.
44 is pretty good - I think the highest we found by speedometer at Snowmass was ~40mph.
And anyone who thinks gps is accurate needs to take a few classes. Civilian gps does not use enough satelites to accurately locate position within 3 meters.
Speedometer would be my 2nd choice for accurate speed measurement behind radar. It would read a little slow, if anything, as the wheel would decellerate whenever it was lifted off the ground, wouldn't it?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Kornphlake said:
Unless you manual the entire course a computer will be very accurate, How much could the wheel actually accelerate/decelerate in the few moments its off the ground? If you're really concerned about it put the sensor on your rear wheel, it spends more time on the ground. Oh wait, if you skid alot your speed will be zero, so I guess that wouldn't work either. LOL
lol, the other day i was at the djs, and there was this big double some guy was mussing to gap, and i heard the big shot of the djs on velocity and conservation of energy.
"dont worry, you dont need much speed... as soon as you get off the land you´ll pick up a crapload of speed while airborne". :rofl:
i wish i had stayed to see that guy try.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
ALEXIS_DH said:

We got that "impression" by running a course 4 times. Two of them I hit every booter and gap and two ladder drops. The other two I bypassed all the airborne obstacles. Due to the way they had the runouts for the gaps, bypassing was much faster, yet the comp showed that apparently hit 54mph on the airborne runs. 54 off a 15' double or a 5' ladder drop? Maybe that guy at the DJs and his "crapload of speed" is onto something? lol...

And for the radar guns not working? I GOT TWO TICKETS. Two different guns, two different cops in two different little small towns in South Freakin Dakota. So I highly doubt that we have the new Super Duper Radarnator 2000s yet. And the Sherriff was pretty confident in his times as well. Enough so that they waged a new WC on it.
It doesn't really matter and it's not worth an always enjoyable Interfight. But who knows, maybe your town's cops just need to clean the donut glaze off the guns. My town's cops eat first, THEN play cops and robbers.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
They had a speed trap at the snowmass nationals, like the ones you see on the side of the road, I couldnt believe how far it was tracking people, it was pretty cool