Quantcast

Rage Cycles Completely Sux

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I need a new one, and my LBS had no e13 bash guards for me, so me and a buddy took a 20 mile ride to Rage Cycles on saturday after they told me they only had the MRP Fusion in a 4 bolt size 36. Here's how it went:

[Walk in and tell skinny dude with a Dangerboy shirt on what I called about, he reappears with said bashguard, and me and dude inspect the product...]

Me: "Will you take $40 for it?" (He was asking $45, and this is a common occurance at my regular LBS)

Skinny dude: "No."

Me: "That's lame."

Skinny dude: [Starts talking to some European sounding roadie and his friends]

Me: "Well, I don't have my pack, so you'll at least loan me a hex wrench right?"

Skinny dude: "mumble, mumble."

Me "What's that?!"

Skinny dude: "I dunno, I'm helping someone else."

Me: [Loudly]"You don't know if you can loan a customer a wrench to put on a part?!"

Skinny dude: [Looks away nervously as does the group of Europunks]

Me: "Hey dumbass, you can look up now, and watch 2 customers walk out and never come back!"

I was hoping to throw some business their way, since I bought 6 bikes from Slippery Pig last year, but this is the 2nd time I've met with some worthless bull**** at Rage, and have had others tell me the same thing.

So kids, if you need a decent shop with cool people and no bull****, I guess Slippery Pig or Cactus Bikes are the only 2 shops in town to choose from.

[Rant over]

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I don't think I've ever been in any of those shops. I mostly go to Performance (formerly Supergo) in Chandler mainly for their location (it's a 15 min ride) but I've always had pretty good luck with their staff, too. My fav shop is down in Tempe, Dominic's Cycling. It's used a lot by roadies and students wanting cheap cruisers but their mechanics are super friendly guys ... and they carry Cannondales.

Sorry you had a bad experience, esp after riding 20 f'n miles! Sounds like you ran into a roadie with a grudge.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
This does not sound like Rage at all. When I lived out there, I dealt with those guys on several occasions and they ALWAYS bent over backwards to help me and anyone else that was in the shop. Maybe the problem was that they usually only have 2 guys in the shop and they handle everything from sales to wrenching on bikes and answering the phones.
On the contrary, I visited many other shops in the Valley and usually had to track someone down to help me I would have to pry information out of them. Maybe its because I look like a scumbag, but my money is the same color as everyone elses and Rage never had a problem taking it and I never had a problem giving it to them.
It sounds like you really wanted the bashguard, but no one else had it except for Rage. If I had the latest and greatest and no one else did, I wouldn't be handing out discounts, either.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
macko said:
Sorry you had a bad experience, esp after riding 20 f'n miles! Sounds like you ran into a roadie with a grudge.
It wasn't too bad, cause we found a bunch of nice urban action at the Scottsdale Art Center, and then had many cocktails in Old Town. It's a fun cruise (Even on a 47lb bike).

I go to The Pig a lot and if I need a wheel trued, or new cranks installed (got some Saints friday - Yea!) they'll do their best to help me while I wait. I guess it helps to be a regular...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Potroast88 said:
This does not sound like Rage at all. When I lived out there, I dealt with those guys on several occasions and they ALWAYS bent over backwards to help me and anyone else that was in the shop. Maybe the problem was that they usually only have 2 guys in the shop and they handle everything from sales to wrenching on bikes and answering the phones.
On the contrary, I visited many other shops in the Valley and usually had to track someone down to help me I would have to pry information out of them. Maybe its because I look like a scumbag, but my money is the same color as everyone elses and Rage never had a problem taking it and I never had a problem giving it to them.
It sounds like you really wanted the bashguard, but no one else had it except for Rage. If I had the latest and greatest and no one else did, I wouldn't be handing out discounts, either.
I was willing to give the MRP a try, since I couldn't find an in stock 4 bolt 36 e13, and I was willing to throw Rage some biz. The big shops like Landis or "SuperPerformace" are very lame. The place was a little busy, and I waited several minutes before I interrupted his conversation, and dude was acting like a biatch for no reason, other than to pretend he was French.

Screw that place, how many chances do I give a shop, who is out of my way, and does not want my business...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Have you tried South Mountain Cycles?? Those guys have bent over backwards to help me out a couple of times, and I've never seen them treat anyone badly. Given it's a little far from your home, but if you hit SoMo regularly it's not too far out of the way.

I'm trying to send some business Slippery pig's way but they won't answer e-mails. I wanted to get some Pink CK hubs built on XM-819's for my wife, so it's not like I'm asking for a quote on a tire lever, it's a pretty expensive wheel set.

Vno

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
South Mountain
It's not the bike shop...it's that piece of $hit E13 that I told you sucked the day I met you at the swap meet! I replaced that piece of junk with a reliable race face and haven't had a problem since. Sorry... I hated that E13 about as much as you hate Rage.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Vno said:
It's not the bike shop...it's that piece of $hit E13 that I told you sucked the day I met you at the swap meet! I replaced that piece of junk with a reliable race face and haven't had a problem since. Sorry... I hated that E13 about as much as you hate Rage.

Stinkyboy = Own3d!

:thumb: :D