Quantcast

Rainy Day, SO I built a Bike

splat

Nam I am
Let the Haters Begin.

well I have been collecting the parts for this for some time , with day light savings time , means I can ride skinny tires to/from work. but there is still a lot of salt on teh road so I don't want to subject my good road bike to that so I built this up.

That Parts

First put in the New Cane Creek Head set. stem and Handle bars

Horizontal Dropouts

REdline tensioners

Bottom bracket, Crankset and chain.

And the fiinal creation

things that need to be done

a) Front brake , the one I planned to put on it is a short reach , too short of a reach.
b) Headtube spaces , and cut the fork

c) fix the Major screw that I only noticed as I was sitting here looking at the pictures!

d) Put pedals on once I can!!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
things that need to be done

a) Front brake , the one I planned to put on it is a short reach , too short of a reach.
b) Headtube spaces , and cut the fork

c) fix the Major screw that I only noticed as I was sitting here looking at the pictures!

d) Put pedals on once I can!!
e) tuck my scrotum up into some girl pants

j/k I'm probably going to collect some parts to build a fixie after I move into the city next month. I'm going to build it to ride ride from my house to the gym or grocery and plan on building it as cheaply as possible so if a crackhead ever steals it I won't be as pissed.

What's the frame?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Splat has enough years riding and enough bikes that I can give him a pass on this one. Don't think it is a douchebag fashion accessory in this case as Splat is neither a douchebag nor remotely fashionable.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Come out of the closet, Jason, you secretly lust after fixies.
Actually, I am lusting after a touring/commuter bike. I hate my road bike, there is no MTB around here. I respect Splat's fixie for it's utility, I was just giving him some hell.

Actually, I am lusting after a touring/commuter bike. I hate my road bike, there is no MTB around here. I respect Splat's fixie for it's utility, I was just giving him some hell.
I knew that... I would trade my road bike for a touring bike in an instant. Fenders would be awesome. I would also dump the dropped bars, the whole idea is an ergonomic abortion.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I knew that... I would trade my road bike for a touring bike in an instant. Fenders would be awesome. I would also dump the dropped bars, the whole idea is an ergonomic abortion.
12345. Slowly converting my Conquest into a proper commuter bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Funny, I find my road bike to be more ergonomic than any bike I have ever ridden. About the only issue I have ever had is some sore neck muscles for the first ride or two after a long layoff.

I almost never ride using the drops - too damned uncomfortable. I hold the bars on the straight section or with my thumb hooked around the brake levers - I suspect that either the frame size is wrong and/or the guys that set me up didn't do it right. So far I have been too cheap to go over the mountain to Fitwerx.

splat

Nam I am
Crank moved over to the other side. This is actually not the first Fixie I have had. I had one for a long time then sold it about 5 years ago, because I wasn't riding it enough. Lately I was kind of missing it , because it is fun to ride, when You want a short tourture ride ( or commuting in Bad crap )

was that on purpose?
Nope! it has a Flip Flop hub, SO I have to have it on the other side if I want to use it as a Single speed

Splat is lucky to put his underwear on correct
there's a wrong way to put underwear on ?

Splat has enough years riding and enough bikes that I can give him a pass on this one. Don't think it is a douchebag fashion accessory in this case as Splat is neither a douchebag nor remotely fashionable.
Thanks you, I take that as a complement. on both counts.

No hatin here...well done, now go ride!
Its pouring rain ! Thats Why I took the time to build this

Funny, I find my road bike to be more ergonomic than any bike I have ever ridden. About the only issue I have ever had is some sore neck muscles for the first ride or two after a long layoff.
:stupid:

you could use eggbeaters on that and just leave the chain on that side?
Never thought of that, But I use Look on road and this is getting look pedals ( SPD off road )

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
While the hub is a flip/flop you wouldn't be able to run it that way. If it was set up fixed you'd eventually unthread the cog and lock ring. If it was set up SS you'd be pedaling against the freewheel...unless of course freewheel side of the hub is left side drive, which I doubt.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
While the hub is a flip/flop you wouldn't be able to run it that way. If it was set up fixed you'd eventually unthread the cog and lock ring. If it was set up SS you'd be pedaling against the freewheel...unless of course freewheel side of the hub is left side drive, which I doubt.
Bingo. Its called a flip flop hub because you have to FLIP IT AROUND. They are designed for RSD.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Very nice Splat!
Back in August I bought a cheap steel single speed roadie - been having a blast on it. I ride that more than my mountain bikes now. Haven't gone fixed tho...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
:thumb: I did a little bike work during the rain this weekend too :) Still way too much crap on the road and potholes that could eat me so no skinny tires yet, but I should be up an commuting by Wednesday/Thursday (that's the goal atleast).

splat

Nam I am
Wrong side = bike pedals backwards, freewheels forward? how do clips fix this?
Just run the wheel upside-down and backwards.
Westy of course thinks of every thing .

But since it was in FIxed mode it doesn't mater which way it freewheel's since it doesn't. and toe clips you can just attach to the back sise of the pedal ( or upside down )