Quantcast

"raked" out

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
So I was sweeping today, and I noticed that my broom kept unthreading itself from the little hole that was drilled into the wooden broom head, so I unscrewed it, and screwed the handle into the other threads. I immediately noticed that when I did this, the broom had a way better geo. It felt so slack. I could have swept over big piles of dirt so much faster and with much more stability. Anybody else have a shovel geo preference?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
our brooms keep breaking.

the ones with the bracket braces seem to do a little better.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Yes but you sacrifice so much stability when you throw the dirt. I think there is some kind of shim I can get to slacken up the angle of my broom stick a little more.
For novice diggers, yes. It takes a hardened pro digger to be able to use a steep shovel to its full potential.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
BuckoW posted up some pics of him and his boys building with these curved handled shovels that allow you to dig more upright.....kind of like some of the curved snow shovels out there.

Those things looked pretty cool.
If you're not breaking your back, you're not breaking your back.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
What about current ergo brands. I'd guess they don't do curved for durability/strength versus a snow shovel that doesn't do much digging.

STX:

Pro:

Last edited:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I want my shovel head to have a tapered fitting. I also want the head to made out of 4130. I like my "head" angle to be pretty slack so I can throw some serious distance at speed. Slack shovels are better for the east coast with all of these rocks.
Custom shovels? :think: You should talk to Mikey - think he was at the trails on Sunday with one of his self-built 20" frames.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
One of you guys should start a custom shovel company. Truetemper has a pretty big back stock of blades and shafts. I've been dreaming of building one with a butted carbon handle with an aluminum counterweight in the end and heattreated blade.

I can get someone in touch with the right vendors if they want to make one happen. I know I'd pay nearly $100 to have sweet shovels.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Light weight shovel heads are best. I can't stand heavy flat head shovels. No maneuverability.
So a dialed trail shovel would be:

- Light
- Non-stick Head design
- Locking capability
- Dampening (Mickey - that carbon handle could do the trick)

Maybe even a foldable version for those out in the middle of no where spots.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009

I don't want that divot in the middle of the shovel head either. Either that or a longer head so the divot would not interfere. But at the same time I like using the edge at the back of the shovel head to pack harder. When you use less of a surface area to pack, it packs harder.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC

I don't want that divot in the middle of the shovel head either. Either that or a longer head so the divot would not interfere. But at the same time I like using the edge at the back of the shovel head to pack harder. When you use less of a surface area to pack, it packs harder.
For packing? I took a sharp shooter shovel and got off the stop on the back.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Which one?

I think light and wide is the best way to go. But I particularly like the edge. So maybe an extended edge so you don't get the little notch in the dirt when the dirt packs into the handle mount.
Actually the one I found I have only seen one other of, I got it at ace hardware and it has since lost the labels. But where the recessed part was, instead was a bracket that was riveted on, just kinda broke if off then it became this perfectly flat shovel with no recess on the bottom.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
Actually the one I found I have only seen one other of, I got it at ace hardware and it has since lost the labels. But where the recessed part was, instead was a bracket that was riveted on, just kinda broke if off then it became this perfectly flat shovel with no recess on the bottom.
Hmmmm, sounds interesting. That rivet can really be a b1tch sometimes. I have also decided that I like a little bit of flex in the handle for some reason.

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
For the record, an asphalt shovel will stack like no other, but that **** aint for no little faggits in tight pants, these are staight up men shovels.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
almost a coal shovel hmmm....

I like the rigid brand because teh shank of the shovel goes quite a bit up the handle for more strength. plus the blade is thick too so its harder to crack in the middle like they do.

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
^^that, but be prepared to break a few handles, the blade is 16 guage steel and packs a punch, the handles cant take the shock.

sandyP1

Chimp
Nov 25, 2007
Fiskars made a badass shovel but i don't see it on their website anymore. It has a curved shaft and straight handle. It's real nice for scooping dirt and packing lips/landings.