Quantcast

random ufo sighting...

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
me likes geo.

but then again it would be that much better if it were scaled down so that it looked that way with 24" wheels, but i'm weird.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Good god. I've wanted one of those for years. I'm not sure what about them appeals to me, but I like it.
I think I need to go ride my trail bike....

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
sweet sweet set up, and a nice color combo.

I always thought that color looked bad, but the way you have it set up with the silver and all looks hot!@

a

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
thanks for the kudos. just got back from a quick n. shore rip; what a fun little bike! i wasn't sure what to expect from a short travel frame - all i've ridden in recent history are long-travel dh sleds & hardtails. the bike has decent bump-eating capabilities, with a nice firm, well-damped, non-squidgey feel to it. nimble, sprints well, relatively light & surprisingly plush. i like it.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
rear travel is adjustable between 3.5" - 4.5". i'm running it @ 4.5" with a 6" flick up front. the frame is more 4x oriented, but the adjustable shock mount allows for headangle tweaking for the longer fork. really fun & effective setup. i understand why people are starting to ditch their sleds in favor of shorter travel trailbikes.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
xy9ine said:
i understand why people are starting to ditch their sleds in favor of shorter travel trailbikes.
I hear ya. I've been riding my 4" travel Rail all winter. It isn't as capable as my big bike, but the pure fun factor is higher. I can't wait to take it down A-line

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
exactly. a couple buddies are in the process of building blur 4x's to compliment the big bikes. we're looking forward to doing a few small bike whistler days.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
there's no vancouver nicolai representation as far as i know. though it would be cool to see someone carry them locally. (thinks to self - what does it take to become a rep??). atrokz is the only canadian rep that i'm aware of. i bought the frame privately - it came from the us distributor originally. chris, you've got a nucleon, correct? love those techno-beasts. What are you doing out in Vic?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
xy9ine said:
there's no vancouver nicolai representation as far as i know. though it would be cool to see someone carry them locally. (thinks to self - what does it take to become a rep??). atrokz is the only canadian rep that i'm aware of. i bought the frame privately - it came from the us distributor originally. chris, you've got a nucleon, correct? love those techno-beasts. What are you doing out in Vic?
I don't think any LBS would dare to carry them...the retail cost on ANY of the Nic frames would be crazy. Yeah I have a Nucleon but she's a little sick, needs some good maintenance, just need a bit of free time to do it. I'm in Vic because I moved out here at the last minute and I had some contacts out here. Made everything easier. I'll be out in Vancouver whenever I get my act together and get into the VPD.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
yup, nicolai pricing is retarded. the nucleon tst frame is over $8k cdn retail. you in the process of applying to the vpd? a good buddy was in the preliminary application process, but just got accepted by the westvan dept. i know another guy who got into the vpd last year; seems to be having a good time (he's working eastvan - no shortage of action).

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
xy9ine said:
yup, nicolai pricing is retarded. the nucleon tst frame is over $8k cdn retail. you in the process of applying to the vpd? a good buddy was in the preliminary application process, but just got accepted by the westvan dept. i know another guy who got into the vpd last year; seems to be having a good time (he's working eastvan - no shortage of action).
Sounds like a good time...I get the big city yet I don't have to deal with crappy Montreal weather! I just hope the VPD don't mind that I'm in debt and broke! ;)

I think I remember hearing a buddy tell me the Nucleon DH (with massive swingarm) was $5000cdn retail. I guess that doesn't sound bad considering the Intense frames are expensive as well but with the Nucleon DH, you get the Rohloff hub. I have no idea about the Nucleon ST though. Can't wait to get to the mainland for some riding!

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
The ST was retailing for $5800 Cad last year.

The TST and TFR are considerably higher, but when you consider what you get in return, a full bike gets built for around 9k cad. Not bad considering my M-Pire fully built retails for 9k before taxes. And that M-Pire frame is about 3900 cad, which is what people are willing to pay for these bikes.

I can understand the expense though, as theres no cut corners or cheapened out designs. All top notch, so a top notch style price.

Chris, you ride Bro right? We should meet up one of these weekends.

Cheers,
a

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
atrokz said:
The ST was retailing for $5800 Cad last year.

The TST and TFR are considerably higher, but when you consider what you get in return, a full bike gets built for around 9k cad. Not bad considering my M-Pire fully built retails for 9k before taxes. And that M-Pire frame is about 3900 cad, which is what people are willing to pay for these bikes.

I can understand the expense though, as theres no cut corners or cheapened out designs. All top notch, so a top notch style price.

Chris, you ride Bro right? We should meet up one of these weekends.

Cheers,
a
For the ST, I figure subtract about $1200 for the rohloff and you're back into the Intense frame prices. But you're right, no corners are cut and I've looked closely since I've had issues with previous frames from other brands.

I'm not in Montreal anymore man, I'm on the westcoast now...in Victoria and hopefully in about 6-8 months in Vancouver.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
hmmm... if you convert the tst price from the nicolai website, the frameset comes to $9k cdn. i guess the north american distros arent making full pull margins. i agree that the st pricing doesnt seem that unreasonable when you factor in the rohloff & heaps of proprietary drivetrain hardware included. there's some spectacular engineering & manufacturing going on. a gearhead's dream for sure. i'm regretting not jumping on dw's old st when it came up for sale a few weeks back...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
xy9ine said:
i'm regretting not jumping on dw's old st when it came up for sale a few weeks back...
Ohhh yeahhh...I remember that one!! That went pretty cheap too. I paid way more for mine! Super nice too!

springfish

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Hood River, Oregon
xy9ine said:
you had a nucleon for a time as well, did you not? how's the transition to the much lighter (and sweet, i might add) dhr?
Yes, I purchased DW's old Nucleon ST. So far so good on the transition front. While I miss the reliability of the Rolholff, the weight of the bike more than makes up for it. The DHR is way quicker and flickable. But the Nucleon was a "plow-through" machine. She did what she did well.

Enough said.