Quantcast

Rangel wants to bring back the draft...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Another Democrat shoots himself in the political foot It will be interesting to see how this breaks down...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061119/pl_nm/usa_politics_draft_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An influential Democratic lawmaker on Sunday called for reinstatement of the draft as a way to boost U.S. troop levels and draw a broader section of the population into the military or public service.

U.S. Rep. Charles Rangel (news, bio, voting record), the incoming chairman of the House of Representatives' tax-writing committee, said he would introduce legislation to reinstate the draft as soon as the new, Democratic-controlled Congress convenes in January.

Asked on CBS' "Face the Nation" if he was still serious about the proposal for a universal draft he raised a couple of years ago, he said, "You bet your life. Underscore serious."

"If we're going to challenge Iran and challenge North Korea and then, as some people have asked, to send more troops to Iraq, we can't do that without a draft," he said.

Rangel, who opposed the 2003 invasion of Iraq, also said he did not think the United States would have invaded Iraq if the children of members of Congress were sent to fight. He has said the U.S. fighting force is comprised disproportionately of people from low-income families and minorities.

"I don't see how anyone can support the war and not support the draft. I think to do so is hypocritical," he said.

The New York Democrat had introduced legislation to reinstate the draft in January 2003 before the Iraq invasion. The Pentagon has said the all-volunteer army is working well and there is no need for a draft, and the idea had no traction in the Republican-led Congress.

Democrats gained control of both the House and Senate for the first time in 12 years in the November 7 election, and a wholesale change in the leadership of Congress is to be made in January. Rangel is to head the House Ways and Means Committee, which is charged with U.S. tax and trade legislation.

The draft was in place from 1948 to 1973, when the United States converted to an all-volunteer army. But almost all men living in the United States - including most male noncitizens - are required to register with the Selective Service upon reaching 18, and federal benefits, including financial aid for college studies, are contingent on registration.

Rangel said his legislation on the draft would also offer the alternative of a couple of years of public service with educational benefits.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
But I doubt you will participate.
probably not in a violent riot, but if it is reinstated i will protest. riot was probably too strong of a word. there most certainly will be massive protests though, and a riot or two may stem from them.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The draft would suck, but the military can't afford to keep paying out these huge bonuses just to get the crap enlistments they get now. He says:

"If we're going to challenge Iran and challenge North Korea and then, as some people have asked, to send more troops to Iraq, we can't do that without a draft,"
I would have to agree with this statment. We don't have the forces and we don't have the equipment. If the military increases the bonuses any higher, they won't be able to afford to fix the crap equipment they have.

How else would you support 4 fronts without a draft?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
There is no chance that the draft will be reinstated. Rangel brought this up a while back as a way to draw attention to the state of the military, not to actually get the draft passed.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There is no chance that the draft will be reinstated. Rangel brought this up a while back as a way to draw attention to the state of the military, not to actually get the draft passed.
That was sort of my point. The military needs to either scale back opperations, or star a draft to support all the various actions they are signed up for.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I think its very simple. If a war is so unpopular that a draft is necessary, then we should not be fighting that war. When our homes and families are directly threatened, then we will have something to fight about and there will be plenty of volunteers.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Jimmy, you got a bonus? My career field is "critically undermanned" yet I get no bonus...:rant: :rant: :disgust: :disgust: :banghead: :banghead:
No sir, I did not. In nearly 10 years of service, I got no bonus. Hell, I didn't even get the full GI Bill I was told I would get.

I know that in the guard unit I was with, they give out $2000 for any referal that ships to boot camp, the re-up bonus for 11B is like $8000 for 2 years and $12k for 3 I think. I also know my mail man got $30k to re-up and go to drone pilot school (not sure what they call it).

Also, most of the guys I know who have gone to Iraq were able to either extend or re-up for a heafty tax free bonus as well.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
You could get tons of kids to sign up, just offer a free Playstation 3 and a years supply of video games and we'll have droves of soldiers. They'll all be fat and stupid, but still...

Bikebro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
I've always thought that we need some type of military/civil services draft. I think it would help most people to spend 2 years before college or a ****ty job teaching inner city kids, doing trail work in a NP, guarding the boarder, or creating terrorist in Iraq. Its not like you know what you want to do at 18 besides get laid and drink.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Its not like you know what you want to do at 18 besides get laid and drink.
Some of us do. Some of us also know military duty is a waste of time. 10 years ago I was declared desertor in France when I fail to show up for my 10 months of services. It took a while to clear up the mess but they finally gave up. I sure as hell was not gonna listen to some looser giving me orders for almost a year of my life.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Rangel did support some type of civil service for 2 years. I support that, but being a career military type, I really dont think transcripts (Who really dont want to be here...) will help the situation. We have enough problems motivating the guys who came in under their own free will!

lugnuts

Monkey
May 2, 2002
maine
No sir, I did not. In nearly 10 years of service, I got no bonus. Hell, I didn't even get the full GI Bill I was told I would get.

I know that in the guard unit I was with, they give out $2000 for any referal that ships to boot camp, the re-up bonus for 11B is like $8000 for 2 years and $12k for 3 I think. I also know my mail man got $30k to re-up and go to drone pilot school (not sure what they call it).

Also, most of the guys I know who have gone to Iraq were able to either extend or re-up for a heafty tax free bonus as well.
An E5 in my unit just re-upped for 6yrs to the tune of $15K. I didn't get crap when I initially joined, and I still have another year or two before my window opens. I wasn't planning on stasying in, but if the bonus trends continue the way they are (especially for MP's) I may be forced to reconsider. EXPECIALLY if I'm down range when it comes time to raise my right hand.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If they just passed funding for stem-cell research then we can learn to successfully clone people.

If the USA had 200,000 Boba Fett's, we'd fvcking rule the planet.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I'm fine with using this as a political tool. The republicans wrote a check they couldn't cash. Force them to find the funds, and if they can't make them suck it up and cancel the check.

Gosh, they did the same thing with the budget. It's almost like a pattern.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'm fine with using this as a political tool. The republicans wrote a check they couldn't cash. Force them to find the funds, and if they can't make them suck it up and cancel the check.

Gosh, they did the same thing with the budget. It's almost like a pattern.
They are still trying to write more checks. Look at the guys from the AEI, urging us to bomb Iran ASAP. Taking advice from those guys is like taking advice on sobriety from Courtney Love...