Quantcast

Rant? Why is norba poopy.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I wanted to race Jr. X this year, but since the new 2 top 5 finish rule I can't until I get another top 5, is there any way around this? I have a 3rd and 6th . Another thing that sucks is now I have to buy a license at the 1st race and wait for it to come because I can't get a Jr. X license online. :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :redhot: :redhot: :mad: :mad: :help: :help: :mad: :hot: :nopity: :dead: :redhot: :mumble: :rolleyes:

If you have something mean to say, dont say it at all please.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
You actually tried to buy an JrX license and it told you no? If that actually is the case, don't worry about it. Just buy a sport license and enter Jrx. I used a sport license for an entire season and when I went to a Norba national, they punched my card for expert with no questions asked.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
DS Dom said:
You actually tried to buy an JrX license and it told you no? If that actually is the case, don't worry about it. Just buy a sport license and enter Jrx. I used a sport license for an entire season and when I went to a Norba national, they punched my card for expert with no questions asked.
It didn't give me the option to check off for an expert license. It had an application for an upgrade but They wouldn't take my 3rd and 6th. Kind of lame, I don't feel like a beginner and I certaintly am not one so I dont know, I guess I'll just have to get a sport license and upgrade when I get another top 5 which is tough enough with all the sandbagging. Kind of a bummer Mt. Snow nats is so early in the season this year because if I don't get another top 5 before that I'll be bummed....

Dan

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
You actually have to fill out an 'upgrade' to get a Expert Norba license now? Up until I guess last year, all you had to do was check the little box that said 'expert'. What norba races are you planning on racing on the east coast? You could easily enter JrX at Plattekill with a sport or beginner license.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
DS Dom said:
You actually have to fill out an 'upgrade' to get a Expert Norba license now? Up until I guess last year, all you had to do was check the little box that said 'expert'. What norba races are you planning on racing on the east coast? You could easily enter JrX at Plattekill with a sport or beginner license.
Yeah they said its a new rule for 06.

Im planning on doing these races:

U.S. Open
Iron Horse Mt. Snow series
Killington
Bolton Valley
Maybe some Domination or Plattekill
Mt. Snow Nats,

Just everything on the East Coast I can get too,

Dan

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Kinda related question:

From what it sounds like, I can get a sport DH/beg. XC license to race some XC now (I finish mid-pack in b eginner so it's not like I'm 'bagging at the XCs) and should get no hassles racing ex DH at big races?

In the past, we had a non-Norba XC series here so I raced beginner locally and expert at DH races. This year, the state went Norba and I wanna do two beg. XC races and don't wanna blow an extra $20 in one days if I can go ahead and get an annual.

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
thats lame. two years ago when i went to jr.x i just asked and they punched my card for expert. i guess there starting to get more strict about it.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
just go out and kill the JO sport class. Then the officials will have a ton of parents bitching since their billie got wasted by a sandbagger. All you have to do is say "I tried to race JR X but the mean people at norba wouldn't let me".

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
rockymt21 said:
I guess thats what I will have to do...

Dan
Dan I have been racing for the last couple years with an expert license. Last year I didn't even have one. Norba could really care less. Most of the volunteers won't even look at the class if they even look at it in the first place. Just do as I do and sweet talk the ladies at registration.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Ohh I have been riding as much as possible for the past month, if the weather is atleast above 15 degrees I'll go out and ride:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I thought your 3rd place was orginally a misprint and thats why they fixed it on the mount snow site? Eitherway, those are the rules, it sucks, but if your truely ready to hang in jrx you'll have no problem banging out a couple podium finishes in Sport class at the early season plattekill races...

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
thats wack. when i started racing a couple years ago i just went right into jr x i had never even raced before.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Banshee Rider said:
I thought your 3rd place was orginally a misprint and thats why they fixed it on the mount snow site? Eitherway, those are the rules, it sucks, but if your truely ready to hang in jrx you'll have no problem banging out a couple podium finishes in Sport class at the early season plattekill races...
Well for the 18 under open class I got 9th. But then when they sent the results to USA Cycling they split them up in to the age classes, probably since it was easier to just run us all at the same time.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Weird... I just got my expert license and I've never raced dh in the states.

DS Dom said:

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
rockymt21 said:
It didn't give me the option to check off for an expert license. It had an application for an upgrade but They wouldn't take my 3rd and 6th. Kind of lame, I don't feel like a beginner and I certaintly am not one so I dont know, I guess I'll just have to get a sport license and upgrade when I get another top 5 which is tough enough with all the sandbagging. Kind of a bummer Mt. Snow nats is so early in the season this year because if I don't get another top 5 before that I'll be bummed....

Dan
If you are worried about not being able to pull a top 5 in sport because of sandbagging how well do you expect to do in Jr.X? If that is a concern for you I would just stick it out another year in sport until you truly feel fast enough and capable enough that you need to race Jr.X.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
bballe336 said:
If you are worried about not being able to pull a top 5 in sport because of sandbagging how well do you expect to do in Jr.X? If that is a concern for you I would just stick it out another year in sport until you truly feel fast enough and capable enough that you need to race Jr.X.
I don't plan on doing particularly well in Jr. X my 1st year....

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
rockymt21 said:
I don't plan on doing particularly well in Jr. X my 1st year....
That is not what I am saying. I am saying that if you really are fast enough to race Jr.X then you should be significantly faster than anyone racing sport class.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Thats not true usually cause in this past seasons results, the top 5 kids in sport have good enough times to place mid pack in Jr. X....

I get what your saying but the way the system is set up is all screwed up...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Just quit bitching and ride sport, thats where you belong, just like me. At least you were fortunate enough to pull off a deal with Ironhorse and get a kickass bike, so now it's time to prove your worthiness of it and do well in sport, and move up from there, just like everyone else.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
It has nothing to do with being offended, I'm not offended at all. I'm just glad that I am fortunate enough to have a bike, a car to get to races, and people to ride with and race with. Also, I am thankful for everything that NORBA does as far as organizing race series, despite some things i may disagree with. What they are doing is allowing everyone to race, of all skill levels and backgrounds, and to put down the whole organization, just because YOU can't race in the class you want (and i believe don't deserve to race, just being honest, try not to take offense) is pretty lame and unconstituted.

It all boils down to what really matters to you.......riding/racing and having a good time in doing so, or worried about how you appear on a piece of paper or results listing.

I am concerned about the first.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
norco-freerider said:
It has nothing to do with being offended, I'm not offended at all. I'm just glad that I am fortunate enough to have a bike, a car to get to races, and people to ride with and race with. Also, I am thankful for everything that NORBA does as far as organizing race series, despite some things i may disagree with. What they are doing is allowing everyone to race, of all skill levels and backgrounds, and to put down the whole organization, just because YOU can't race in the class you want (and i believe don't deserve to race, just being honest, try not to take offense) is pretty lame and unconstituted.

It all boils down to what really matters to you.......riding/racing and having a good time in doing so, or worried about how you appear on a piece of paper or results listing.

I am concerned about the first.
The difference is, it isn't "like everyone else". As until this year, you could choose which category you could race in. Seniors can choose sports beginner or expert - why can't a junior?

That said, you can probably easily podium your first race if you below there...but you get stuck behind slower riders and have to pass 4 of them to get on the podum. It isn't always as simple as it seems due to the circumstances of racing in the slower categories.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Transcend said:
The difference is, it isn't "like everyone else". As until this year, you could choose which category you could race in. Seniors can choose sports beginner or expert - why can't a junior?

That said, you can probably easily podium your first race if you below there...but you get stuck behind slower riders and have to pass 4 of them to get on the podum. It isn't always as simple as it seems due to the circumstances of racing in the slower categories.
actually, I think that it is everyone this year, not just junior's. when I moved up I just checked the expert box and that was that.

still, I'm pretty sure that if you're in shape you can crush the Jr Sport riders at the first Platty race. that's usually everybody's first race, so they're out of shape. then apply for an upgrade.

also, don't measure expert vs sport times, as they're run on different courses. especially Mt Snow, they use two totally different courses on separate sides of the mtn.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
dante said:
also, don't measure expert vs sport times, as they're run on different courses. especially Mt Snow, they use two totally different courses on separate sides of the mtn.
Yeah, I was speaking of local races like the spy optic series or killington where everyone runs on the same course...

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Why doesn't he deserve to race Jr.X? You shouldn't have to be capable of getting top 10 to race the class. I didn't move up from sport to win, I moved up because the courses are cooler, you get more attention from the organizers, and the JrX racers tend to be cooler and way faster. My first few races I didn't do well at all, but after riding with faster guys and pushing myself harder I got much faster within a year. JrX can be a learning experience for people on the move up regardless of how much they "deserve" to be there.

And I think that's dumb that Norba won't let you move up. It seems like their standards aren't very constant if they're nitpicking with you about a 6th place and Sanjay can race pro with a expert license.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
black noise said:
Why doesn't he deserve to race Jr.X? You shouldn't have to be capable of getting top 10 to race the class. I didn't move up from sport to win, I moved up because the courses are cooler, you get more attention from the organizers, and the JrX racers tend to be cooler and way faster. My first few races I didn't do well at all, but after riding with faster guys and pushing myself harder I got much faster within a year. JrX can be a learning experience for people on the move up regardless of how much they "deserve" to be there.

And I think that's dumb that Norba won't let you move up. It seems like their standards aren't very constant if they're nitpicking with you about a 6th place and Sanjay can race pro with a expert license.
A big reason is safety. If a junior rider can not get into the top 5 in the Junior Olympic (sport) class, they can not handle the Pro/Expert course or will be a rolling hazard at a National level race. A kid on our team dominated the J.O. class when he was in it. However, when he moved up to JrX, he got his a$$ handed to him. Can a Junior rider out of the top 5 ride the Yardsale at Mount Snow? Can they ride off Perfect 10 at Pkill with their heart rate at 190+?

Another reason, who in the expert class enjoyed rolling up to the "Wild Thing Zone" at Snowshoe to see 100+ people stopped waiting and "scoping" it out?

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
black noise said:

i have different opinion than you do on this issue. jrx should be the fastest juniors and them only. there is a reason why they have sport class. its for less speedy children to learn to go fast enough so eventually they can move up. I myself am a jrxer and hate nothing more to be bogged down in practice and manytimes the race its self by slower racers who are clearly not skilled enough to be ther in the first place. I know many people on here who have caught other people in practice or races. many less-expirenced racers dont know that when you hear someone coming up, that it means to move. this is very agitating. I believe it should be a privledge. And that privledge comes when you have proven that you are no longer an honest competitor in sport. ie. 2 top 5s. hey i dont like norba either but they are there for a reason.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
ChrisKring said:
A big reason is safety. If a junior rider can not get into the top 5 in the Junior Olympic (sport) class, they can not handle the Pro/Expert course or will be a rolling hazard at a National level race. A kid on our team dominated the J.O. class when he was in it. However, when he moved up to JrX, he got his a$$ handed to him. Can a Junior rider out of the top 5 ride the Yardsale at Mount Snow? Can they ride off Perfect 10 at Pkill with their heart rate at 190+?
I agree with you chris, that was the main point I was trying to make with my initial post without being as blunt. It's just my honest opinion that he is not a jrx level rider, nor ready for jrx level compition and courses. This is all just constructive critisism and should be taken lightly, but evaluate how you did this past season in junior and sport at nationals. You were nervous, had some bad runs, ect. Now imagine double the pressure and nerves on a significantly harder course, far stiffer competition, and much higher speeds. If you crumble under pressure in a sport race on a tame course, whats going to happen in jrx?
There seem to be alot of kids trying to push their way into jrx this season. A few of them will make it and probably do well, but a think a number of them are going to be quite overwelmed. I know I sure was. I think konahucker is on par with some of his points as well. I think you should see norba as less of a burden holding you back from jrx bragging rights, and instead probably doing you a favor in the long run. Your young, you got plenty of time to ride your bike, its a big jump from beginner to jrx if you arent yet up to their level, trust me. Just spend another year in sport, if your good enough you'll kick ass, meet the requirements, and be racing jrx by the end of the season.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
So you guys don't think im ready for jrx?

I see your points sparky and they are pretty good. Just don't want to look like a prick in sport...

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
Just do sport your first race. If you podium pretty easily then get your upgrade. It's alot better than this guy I talked to at sugar last year that said he was an expert rider but didnt feel like buying the annual license to race it so he just entered sport.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
rockymt21 said:

I see your points sparky and they are pretty good. Just don't want to look like a prick in sport...
You won't. I have seen faster guys than you riding sport and if you do win then you can get the Jr.X license. And in the end I think it would be better to spend a year in sport and then do moderatly well in Jr.X then to just jump into the juniors and do poorly.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
rockymt21 said:

Compare your sport times to the JrX results (provided sport and jrX was on the same course). If you're about mid-pack you'd probably be ok moving up. Just know that ex/pro courses can be way tougher and the top JrX riders are FAST. If you compare times and find yourself 30 seconds slower than many riders, it means you'll get run over and you might not want to move up.

If you're unsure you could always race sport and move up halfway through the season if you improve a lot.

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
Transcend said:
but you get stuck behind slower riders and have to pass 4 of them to get on the podum. It isn't always as simple as it seems due to the circumstances of racing in the slower categories.
I remember my first race like 4 years ago in jr. beguiner where us guys in the top three were passing like eight people. It is the lamist thing ever and totaly messes with your race run. Jr.x is not so bad, i think ive only had to do it a few times and only like 1 person so its really lame that they wont let you move up because it sounds like you would be able to do ok in x.