Quantcast

rapid modeling of firearms

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
this logic... :twitch:

"Wilson acknowledged in the interview with Forbes that his creation could be used by criminals, but suggested that demonstrating the freedom to create them is more important than trying to stop that from happening."

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
This is nothing more than a hi tech way to make a zip gun, which people have been doing forever.
Anyone (including criminals, teh crazies, etc.) could spend a little time refining a simple zip gun design to make it from non-metallic components and have the same net result.

[/devil's advocate]

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This is nothing more than a hi tech way to make a zip gun, which people have been doing forever.
Anyone (including criminals, teh crazies, etc.) could spend a little time refining a simple zip gun design to make it from non-metallic components and have the same net result.

[/devil's advocate]
But more importantly as per jonkranked's quote, it's a greater expression of freedom.

Where the term expression of freedom is anything that is the intellectual equivalent of beating your self in the face with a baseball bat while singing out of tune journey songs.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Its not about this one example of a ****ty home made gun.
This stands for what will be possible in the future with 3d printers in the homes of millions, printing out fully automatic weapons with high capacity mags.
This is a big thing and if the goverment doesnt find a way to control it, it could mean a whole world of trouble for everyone...

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
if the goverment doesnt find a way to control it,
Whilst I agree with the sentiment I suspect that this will be neigh on impossible to enforce in any practical way, short of banning 3D printers and the internet, which ain't going to happen.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I'll start worrying when I see a 3d printer actually capable of producing a real barrel and receiver.
Usable AR lowers are allready being printed.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/03/download-this-gun-3d-printed-semi-automatic-fires-over-600-rounds/

Just a matter of time before they can print barrels imo.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment I suspect that this will be neigh on impossible to enforce in any practical way, short of banning 3D printers and the internet, which ain't going to happen.
Exactly why people are worried about this.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
But more importantly as per jonkranked's quote, it's a greater expression of freedom.

Where the term expression of freedom is anything that is the intellectual equivalent of beating your self in the face with a baseball bat while singing out of tune journey songs.
must spread rep.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what gets me the most about this, is that it pretty my bypasses all regulations in place surrounding the manufacturing & distributions of firearms. and people are up in arms about it saying that they should be "free to make whatever they want". but those same people wouldn't have a thing to say about someone getting busted by the feds for say, manufacturing unregulated pharmaceuticals in their garage.

ah, i love the smell of cognitive dissonance in the morning.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This stands for what will be possible in the future with 3d printers in the homes of millions, printing out fully automatic weapons with high capacity mags.
This is a big thing and if the goverment doesnt find a way to control it, it could mean a whole world of trouble for everyone...
a bit of backstory - most, if not all, manufacturers of 3d printers are against this form of usage. the guy in the link i posted actually had numerous companies refuse to sell them the equipment (3d printers) once he told them the intended use. the company that did finally sell them one did so under the condition that they remain anonymous.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, the kind of person that would 3d print an automatic weapon with a 10" di... i mean, high capacity clip, isn't the kind of person who has enough of that thar book larnin' to operate a 3d printer. It's not as simple as "ctrl+P"

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
also, the kind of person that would 3d print an automatic weapon with a 10" di... i mean, high capacity clip, isn't the kind of person who has enough of that thar book larnin' to operate a 3d printer. It's not as simple as "ctrl+P"
Not yet maybe, but these are the very first models of a revolutionairy product.
It will get a lot easier and no doubt someday it will be as easy as ctrl+P.
Plus people will start printing and selling these babies to semi retards too...

It might be hard to obtain a 3d printer now, but what will happen in 10 years?
I remember it was a big deal to write your own cds at home and look what happend there.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not yet maybe, but these are the very first models of a revolutionairy product.
It will get a lot easier and no doubt someday it will be as easy as ctrl+P.
Plus people will start printing and selling these babies to semi retards too...

It might be hard to obtain a 3d printer now, but what will happen in 10 years?
I remember it was a big deal to write your own cds at home and look what happend there.
i agree with your point to a certain degree... but bear in mind that 3d printing isn't new technology. 3d printers with the kind of precision tolerance needed to make something like a firearm are no cheaper now than they were a decade ago (if anything they're more expensive). the "inexpensive" ones you see now (makerbot, etc) are cheap, because they are cheap. the tolerances on them are orders of magnitude off what big industrial ones are.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i agree with your point to a certain degree... but bear in mind that 3d printing isn't new technology. 3d printers with the kind of precision tolerance needed to make something like a firearm are no cheaper now than they were a decade ago (if anything they're more expensive). the "inexpensive" ones you see now (makerbot, etc) are cheap, because they are cheap. the tolerances on them are orders of magnitude off what big industrial ones are.
edit - my biggest concern is one that you pointed out - people smart enough to run them, then sell them to morans. but then they'd need to be a licensed firearms manufacturer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
at one of my previous jobs, i worked with a guy (old timer) who was big into making his own guns. then again, he was making them ye olde fashioned way, and he was making muzzle loaders.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

But 3d printing is new to home use, and the printer that printed that lower AR 15 receiver costs no more then 8000 usd.

From teh wiki;
Since the start of the twenty-first century there has been a large growth in the sales of these machines, and their price has dropped substantially
I just dont trust people enough for this kind of technology in a domestic situation.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
But 3d printing is new to home use, and the printer that printed that lower AR 15 receiver costs no more then 8000 usd.

From teh wiki;

I just dont trust people enough for this kind of technology in a domestic situation.

8000 USD printer for a single component. the printer used (in the link i posted) to make the complete gun (sans firing pin) was north of $20,000 USD. The printers with the tolerances and tooling to make functional mechanical devices out of material that has reasonable strength to be used for something like a gun is still cost prohibitive.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

From teh wiki;

Really? You already *can* make a fully-automatic weapon using normal household tools. A few crazy people are already doing it, and everyone else just shrugs and moves on. And it costs FAR less than the $8k for a printer and $3.5k+ (?) for the material.

And all for what, a brittle (note broken trigger in the photograph) "gun" that hasn't been tested and could go BOOM when you're testing it at the range? Big deal.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Super cheap, relatively easily produced fully automatic weapon that could be made by someone in their home?

Yeah, thank god that's never existed before....

edit: And if that's not quite clear enough on how to build it, click here (although you might end up on a government watch list... :tinfoil:).
I dont think you can compare this to the ease of a (future) 3d printer.
Not everyone has a small workshop at home and even less people would have the skill to actually use the tools needed to produce a gun that doesnt blow up in their hands.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Really? You already *can* make a fully-automatic weapon using normal household tools. A few crazy people are already doing it, and everyone else just shrugs and moves on. And it costs FAR less than the $8k for a printer and $3.5k+ (?) for the material.

And all for what, a brittle (note broken trigger in the photograph) "gun" that hasn't been tested and could go BOOM when you're testing it at the range? Big deal.

I really think the threshold is significantly lower if you can just hit "enter"...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not everyone has a small workshop at home and even less people would have the skill to actually use the tools needed to produce a gun that doesnt blow up in their hands.
Have you ever handled anything thats been 3d printed? Sh*ts fragile. The guns these guys are making are dispsosable.

You do realize that a 3d printer isn't the same as a CNC mill right?

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Maybe it's because I live in Detroit/Flint area where there was at one time a million and a half tool and die shops and automotive suppliers/fabricration shops, etc. But I can probably name off at least 10 guys I know who have lathe's, plasma cutters, drill presses, CNC Plasma cutting tables, bridgeports, welders (mig/tig), etc. There are a lot of guys that I know who could easily build their own guns if they wanted to, and probably wouldn't need to purchase very many additional tools to do so.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Hehe I realise that, and I know CNC mills are anything but simple to program and operate.
I just think 3d printers will be cheaper and easier to operate and therefore more accessable for producing fire arms. Even if they are disposable.
Im not an expert on this subject by any means, Im just judging from what Ive seen in other technological progress.

Time will tell I guess.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A friend of mine from college works at makerbot. They can only be simplified so much. Its not like there will ever be an i3Dprinter.

And the software to run them and design for them isn't cheap. They really are toys for nerds, and inexpensive prototyping equipment for small companies.