Quantcast

Rapidfire in hizzouse (Saint & XT)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
According to the new Bicycle Retailer, Shimano is releasing both XT and Saint Rapidfire shifters in addition to adding Saint exclusive STI's, more DH rear hub configurations and a front derailleur to boot. Very exciting news! Looks like Saint is becoming more compatible and best of all Shimano is still supporting Rapidfire. I hate to say it but I told some of you guys Shimano would make Rapidfire if the demand was there:p They also mentioned the Hone gruppo, they confirmed it will be an LX level freeride set built for strength and affordability. Yay Shimano!!!!!

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
don't the regular XT rapid fire shifter pods work fine with the saint rear der.?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Now Shimano just needs to give up on Rapid Rise and I'll be happy

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
Im afraid of change, rapid rise scared me. I think I could do dual control on an xc bike because Im pretty well accustomed to shimano sti road shifters.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by Castle
don't the regular XT rapid fire shifter pods work fine with the saint rear der.?
Yes, but currently Shimano only offers XT in a Dual Control format. all the XT rapidfire shifters out there are last years model and have been discontinued. So the good news is they will be releasing a newer version soon. This has been a hot topic lately, prompting many people to switch over to Sram. I can get used to Rapid Rise but I have had my doubts about Dual Control. Also even if the older XT pods and levers worked, I think it is nice to know that Saint is now a complete gruppo. There will be a Dual Control setup and a separate brake lever/ shifter pod available.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by punkassean
I like SS bikes but in California, it hardly makes sense...:rolleyes: It can be done but at what cost?
You're in Santa Cruz, ever done Sick and Twisted on an SS bike? That trail was MADE for SS.

What do you mean "at what cost"? SS bikes are cheap.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Yes, but currently Shimano only offers XT in a Dual Control format. all the XT rapidfire shifters out there are last years model and have been discontinued. So the good news is they will be releasing a newer version soon. This has been a hot topic lately, prompting many people to switch over to Sram. I can get used to Rapid Rise but I have had my doubts about Dual Control. Also even if the older XT pods and levers worked, I think it is nice to know that Saint is now a complete gruppo. There will be a Dual Control setup and a separate brake lever/ shifter pod available.
I wasn't aware they had been discontinued, I believe both quality and bti have them in stock...... integrated levers are not for me.....

I do have to say the new triggers are really sweet!!!! set up a set on a buddies bike and was really impressed good stuff!

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Acadian
ditto...

...having blown knees by time you're 40! :(
Not with some careful stretching and a little humility. I'm not too proud not to get off and walk some hills.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
You're in Santa Cruz, ever done Sick and Twisted on an SS bike? That trail was MADE for SS.

What do you mean "at what cost"? SS bikes are cheap.
I rode sick and twisted last evening. That is a very short trail and very doable on an SS, but I rode all over CA and I prefer backcountry rides with lots of steep climbs. Like Luc said, it can be hard on the knees. That is the implied cost, not the $. I think SS is killer for urban/DJ bikes etc. but gears make sense for XC/FR/DH. I run 9 speeds on my DH and 18 on my XC. I think 27 speeds are overkill but some gears just make sense. BTW sick and twisted is very fun!

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
I rode sick and twisted last evening. That is a very short trail and very doable on an SS, but I rode all over CA and I prefer backcountry rides with lots of steep climbs. Like Luc said, it can be hard on the knees. That is the implied cost, not the $. I think SS is killer for urban/DJ bikes etc. but gears make sense for XC/FR/DH. I run 9 speeds on my DH and 18 on my XC. I think 27 speeds are overkill but some gears just make sense. BTW sick and twisted is very fun!
I only ride SS now. I can get pretty much anything (shop EP) but I prefer SS. It's pretty tough the first year, but I really don't miss the shifters.

I used SRAM stuff since ESP came out, and I really liked the feel. The indicators on the new triggers really suck, but otherwise it's a great system. Easy to wrench.

Is a Saint front derailleur really needed? How many people trash -or even USE front mechs for FR?

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
I had a chance to ride a bike with Dual Control this weekend at the Trek Demo Day in Santa Rosa.

I got used to the shifting pretty quickly (suprisingly) and I actually liked it quite a bit. Until I had to brake. When I had to brake it felt "really loose" because of the integrated levers. I could see that being fine on flat terrain but if I was bombing down something gnarly, I dont know if I was comfortable with it.

That said, my buddy just got the new SRAM x9's with an X0 rear, and he loves it.

Im happy with my old XT's...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've got xtr dual control/rapid rise on my xc bike. If that stuff didn't cost me so much I would have trashed it long ago.

Rapid rise sucks if you like to downshift through more than one gear at a time.

Dual control sucks if you ride anything that requires body english, or you tend to jump with a finger or two on the brake levers, since you will probably end up shifting unintentionally.

If someone MUST make a dual control style shifter/brake lever, do it like campy, where there is a separate shift lever, so your entire brake lever doesn't wag.

Shimano rapid rise and dual control are stupid, like Chris King. :devil: :D

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Another thought about sick and twisted, it is a downhill (direction) only trail for the most part, so riding and SS on it is no biggie but it's how you get back up that matters. Climbing back up Pogonip is where you would feel it in the knees.