Quantcast

Rat Pac-The Stuff-Pictures

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
The pics were taken yesterday. It took a while to get the trail cleaned up last year, its unbelievable how thick the brush can be. The trail is excellent shape. This year for some reason there have been more riders in two weeks than there was all of last year. A couple of guys have apparent figured out its not that hard to set up a shuttle. You set the shuttle up from inside the gate. You have to drive to Columbia street in Cle Elum then drive to the ridge top and back down to the gate. Its about 7 miles each way of extra driving.

Heres a couple more. The bridge is at the bottom and if you fall its a long ways down. The Jump is near the top and its going to get rebuilt but judging by the tire tracks its getting some use. Its also a long ways down-about 8 feet. :)

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
holy sketch tastic batman!!!

I don't know about some of that stuff. twigs supporting my weight that are spaced way way too far apart for their own good? snappy snappy = ground say hello to your face really quick! Looks like fun, but needs some work.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Yeah that last one is getting rebuilt. Definitely looks like the end broke off. Kind of funny about all the stunts-most people ride around them. That jump though gets a pretty good work out and if your young enough and skilled enough all of them can be done. The bridge is ok but if you fall you might not be going to work for a while.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
iridebikes said:
holy sketch tastic batman!!!

I don't know about some of that stuff. twigs supporting my weight that are spaced way way too far apart for their own good? snappy snappy = ground say hello to your face really quick! Looks like fun, but needs some work.
I take it you've never ridden there?
I have plenty of weight (240+) and I've ridden all of those. They look like twigs but those rungs are plenty strong. I forget the type of wood, but I would think they are as strong as some of the wood we have over here (w. WA) that is twice as thick. Its that high desert pine or something.
About the spacing, I think some of the rungs have fallen off as for a while that trail was getting a lot of use, especially when the gate was open.
I think that trail has been there for ~5 years, maybe more. The fact that everything is still rideable is a tribute to the effort the builders put into making it.
I'd hit it...

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
dude that place looks just, so fun! i've never rode there but from what i can see it looks like...a place where nothings to big and but still hella fun, ya know just a hang out and have a good time type of place! how long of a drive do you guys think that is from, oh say puyallip(spelling?)?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
ryan/kona29 said:
dude that place looks just, so fun! i've never rode there but from what i can see it looks like...a place where nothings to big and but still hella fun, ya know just a hang out and have a good time type of place! how long of a drive do you guys think that is from, oh say puyallip(spelling?)?
Hour and a half, if you're doing the speed limit.

Oh yah, when it's showery on this side, it's usually dry and sunny over there....

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Well, today it was wet. We thought about riding over the ridge and hitting it and then riding back over but it started pouring about noon. Sunny coming back down the pass to the West side. But, got sunburnt over there yesterday. Good seeing you again Borrego. Sorry we missed you Saturday afternoon though.

I'll probably be heading back over for a couple runs next weekend.
Middle Fork can wait.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
We hit ratpac early yesterday (sunday) and it was sunny for most of the climb. the wind started up when we were preparing to head down...

the top bridge drop has a cracked stringer - i dont recomment anyone trying it unless you are a super lightweight. very unstable.

the trail was FAAAAAAST.

you reach a point where the trail dumps out on the road - not crosses it, but actually seems to end on it. head up the road about a quarter mile tops, and on your right you will see a stump with a can nailed to it. that is where the trail starts up again.

we got to the bottom at mach chicken speeds and as we reached the vehicle, it started to drizzle. we headed out, and by the time we hit the main road back to town, it was coming down pretty good.

gooch

Monkey
May 16, 2002
Outside Seattle
seand said:

you reach a point where the trail dumps out on the road - not crosses it, but actually seems to end on it. head up the road about a quarter mile tops, and on your right you will see a stump with a can nailed to it. that is where the trail starts up again.

How far down the trail is this at? It's not the same road you drive up is it?? We are going over next weekend..

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Gooch, it's about a 3rd of the way down. Where the old flatter old road section was before. It regains the trail just about the rock rollover option.

gooch

Monkey
May 16, 2002
Outside Seattle
Borneo said:
Gooch, it's about a 3rd of the way down. Where the old flatter old road section was before. It regains the trail just about the rock rollover option.

Is that kinda right after the first tall ladder bridge after you cross the main road if you ride the very top section I seem to remember a old flat road that went for a while before dropping back down. I guess it shouldn't be to hard to find our way.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
I miss the ratpac of yester-year; the rollercoaster section that is no more...*sigh*

The trail is still one of the most fun, ear-to-ear grin runs around though! Setting up a shuttle is amusing if the one driving has never been up to the ridge and back down.

"just keep going..."
"no, im not joking or lost..just keep going"

of course, once you drop back down to the gate, everything is forgotten and you now have many many laps ahead of you!

The top bridge drop could def use some love. That was one of my fave stunts up there. Now it just feels too sketch to trust.

Long live the ratpac! Thanks to Andy/Pip for showing me those goods many-a-moon ago :)

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
well, having been spoiled at the woodlot for all those years, first look at the stunts at ratpac had me hating it! The first lap down was in 90 degree temps after that long arse haul up. The 2nd lap though, was sooooper fun! I'm glad you guys forced me into a 2nd lap or I would never have discovered how much fun that place can be!

Have you wandered around the various trails? There is a right hand turn you take now, instead of heading on the "regular" trail that leads you to some fast windy ST and then you find yourself on some rock slabs that go for quite some time. Crazy fun!

Andy man, wait until you see some other stuff I am going to drag you to...woooo!