Quantcast

Rat Pac

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Any one been up there reciently? I know stuff got torn up with the loging/construction but how much of the trail is ridable? Is it worth the drive from seattle? .....

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I heard they imported giant cyclops' to that region.:eek:

Seriously, I'm not sure what the deal is w/Ratpac. I've heard all kinds of rumors. I guess we'll find out soon enough. If/WHEN I get my rig completed, I think we're going to head out that-a-way to check it out. If it's gone, then we can still hit up Kachess Ridge.

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
I was up there about a month or so ago. The upper trail is untouched, but just after crossing the road onto the main trail it is all destroyed. We tried to make our way through the carnage for about an hour, but finally gave up and hiked out.

We ran into some local riders at the bottom. They said the lower half or so is still ridable, but the clearcutting is working its way down the ridge. I can't imagine the shape it is in now...

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
davep said:
Any one been up there reciently? I know stuff got torn up with the loging/construction but how much of the trail is ridable? Is it worth the drive from seattle? .....

Ok heres the scoop on Rat Pac, the upper portion has been untouched, but that as you know is a pretty short section. You will then hit the main portion in which the first 100 yards or so are ok, then you hit the logging and you will see where motos are trying to carve out a trail without much luck. You will quickly hit another road which cuts in from the west. Make a right and look closely for a culvert with a small stump below the pipe on the downside. You will probably see tracks going down. You will be back on RP through some of the nice single track, however about the time you get a smile on your face you will hit some big time logging again. If the motos work a trail though that you will hit another new logging road. I have gone though that mess twice. The last time I found a moto trail that went straight down for maybe 30 yards and was quite steep-interesting if your skilled enough. However you pick your way though the mess when you get to the next road swing left-east and go about a half a mile then look closely to your right on the shoulder. You will again hit the RP trail, in fact you will see a sign shortly after you get on it. It needs to be flagged because its impossible to find right now. From that spot to the bottom the RP remains the same as last year.
Main problem with the RP is that the "flow" has been destroyed. Out of the 1450 or so vertical descent maybe 200 feet have been taken out and about .75 mile of the ride. A couple of stunts disppeared, there is still the jump at the top and a ladder further down.

The "Rat Pac" a bunch of riders built it a few years ago and volunteers have maintained it since. It can be fixed but will take some time and effort. You should really check out Taneum Ridge if you come over. If your interested in RP send me a PM, or let me know I can flag a couple of the spots so you can find the trail.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
trailhacker said:
I thought motos weren't allowed up in that area?
Yes and no on the motos, if they are street legal they are ok on the ridge. US Timber and Plum Creek both own large tracts on the ridge. US Timber has been very agressive in taking out the moto trails leading into the Teanaway, some of these were used by bikers and hikers. Plum Creek has kept all their roads trails open-at least when the gates are open and ORV- ATV motos will hit those trails even though Plum Creek has posted the area.

Hey there all, Its your resident local highschool idiot

Well Now Y'all need not worry!

Me and about 7 other people have been working on the upper part all week as part of a community service project that we need to graduate from high school. I think that you all will like it very much. It should have some good flow and we are gonna have a lot more stunts. We're putting them in for several reasons, starting with the fact that it's kind of our style, because there needed, because we needed to, what ever. Anyways, we started it off of the top 100 feet of the trail, and are in the process of bringing it down to the main trail, and trying to keep it as long as before.

Well, thats the story, thought it might be nice to update you all on it, and easy some worries maybe. if you don't like it, then too bad, you can go out and spend your own time to cut a line down the mountain :)

Pictures soon?

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
Tim
keep us posted on that
i would really like to hit rat pac again if I could find my way through the destruction
was a nice trail
hope it sticks around

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Tim, I havent been up there for a few days, I know its going to take some work to get the trail in shape. It sounds like a great student project. I ran into a teacher from the High School once up there. He had a new Cannondale. I am going to ride up there tomorrow a couple of times and take a look around If your up there working I will bring some tools up and help out. I actually did a little clearing from the bottom but then realized it might be better to just cut a new trail. You guys are the Rat Pac of 2005!

spin

Chimp
Aug 4, 2004
Glad to see people willing to keep it alive. Question is...how much more logging will be done in that area and how will it affect other parts of the trail or the work that people are currently putting into it? Is the logging company done there, if so, how long til they're back for more? Seems to me, if the trail could be rebuilt in the areas that were logged, it would be many years before they were back.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
spin said:
Glad to see people willing to keep it alive. Question is...how much more logging will be done in that area and how will it affect other parts of the trail or the work that people are currently putting into it? Is the logging company done there, if so, how long til they're back for more? Seems to me, if the trail could be rebuilt in the areas that were logged, it would be many years before they were back.
I live in CE and last year they were logging on the ridge all summer in different places. The year before there wasnt any logging on the ridge. RP runs mostly through Plum Creek. So far PC for recreational purposes is pretty friendly. The knew of the RP trail and the stunts and allowed it to stay there. The logging was inevitable. You can pretty much figure if you see some big trees they will be logged. The long term problem isnt logging because the trail can be fixed. The main problem is if/when PC sells off its land to a private developer. The lowest part of RP is already in the hands of private developers. The Cascade Land Conservancy has worked to protect some of the land around here but right now the Ridge is low priority.

Cable_Guy

Chimp
Mar 12, 2003
Hey guys good news we're making good progress on the trail it should be almost complete either tomarrow or wednesday. It's looking great. Should be a little bit faster and extreme. We were trying to keep it as close to the same as possible but we had to go our own way with it once we hit the logged part. It should be a blast and i'm looking forward to riding it at the end of this week.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Kanter said:
Anyone from Cle Elm know?
Dont think so, more rumors of stuff over in Leavenworth. RP is probably enough, everything has been made to look pretty natural. Kids have built some of their own small trails and berm type jumps on the edge of town. The Taneum has a couple of fairly decent downhill type trails, Taneum Ridge and Gooseberry flats.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
i was thinking of heading out there this weekend but dont want to go unless its worth it....

any updates? tim?

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
seand said:
i was thinking of heading out there this weekend but dont want to go unless its worth it....

any updates? tim?
Tim and Cableguy have made pretty good progress on the first part of the trail and have built a bridge, a teeter totter-jump, and another jump. Thats the the good news. Bad news is that there is still some work left and you have to push your bike through some stuff. Also the gate is locked so if you plan on shuttling you will need to set up a shuttle from inside the gate. The only way this can be done is by going into Cle Elum and going up the hill past the LDS Church at the east end of town and then hitting the ridge and coming back west to RP. Unlike last year the gate will probably be locked for a while, I think the main reason will be to keep people from cutting firewood from all the piles. Tim, Cableguy, and company have done some nice work unfortunately the locking of the gate will probably put a crimp in getting the rest of the trail cleared. Riders have been hitting the trail pedaling up the hill one or two times.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
thanks for the update! 9/10 times we pedal up due to only having one vehicle and 3-4 riders...but RP is def worth the pedal up..not a bad ride up at all actually....

we did the shuttle thing last year by skirting the closed gate...we were all stealth like and quite a few other riders were not appreciating the fact that a group was shuttling and they were not because of a locked gate :)

ill give RP another month or so before heading out. definitely one of my favourite trails though..i cant wait to check it out!