Quantcast

Raw Eggs

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
As a teen I always would put a raw egg in my protein shakes. That was about 10 years ago. I've started using protein powder again but my wife says that raw eggs can be harmful or dangerous.

Did I miss something in the last 10 years or what's the real deal on raw eggs?

Jan 21, 2002
melbourne, Australia
what is your wife's concern?

yes you can get salmonella (sp?) poisoning if the eggs are off. and if you have high cholesterol reading then alot of eggs can be bad. but if you eggs are fresh and food hygenie is good, then i don't see the problem!

:confused:

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Salmonella is very rare in eggs, but if your worried buy pasturized eggs. If you don't want all the cholesterol, just use the whites.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I've gotten salmonella poisoning from raw eggs in shakes, it aint pretty: puking blood, violent cramping etc. I wouldn't recommend it.

gg

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by Acadian
Well believe it or not, but i used to eat one to two dozens of raw eggs a day...

What I would do to avoid salmonella is put super hot water (almost boiling) in a big pot, then dip the eggs in there for a few seconds. I hear it kills any bacteria or Salmonella...dunno if it's true or not, but I never got sick..
DIdn't one of your co-workers try your drink once and get sick though? ;) Not from Salmonella, but from the taste.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
OH... as long as we are on this "EGG" thing, I am SO happy it is the holiday season again b/c I can put Eggnog in my coffee again!! :thumb:

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
You would have to boil an an egg like 8 minutes to kill salmonella. The bacteria will die after 3-4 minutes at tempuratures about 140f or it will die instantly at 160f. That means the egg internally would have to reach that. That would cook it anyway.
Just dipping the egg in 160+ water would kill any bacteria on the shell, but your not going to eat that anyway.

G-Hoch

Chimp
Jan 27, 2003
I remember reading that the salmonella is on the shell and you contract it from handling the shell. Of course, cooking the egg will kill it, but if you have it on your hands you might get it anyway. You had better boil your hands as well.

Gary

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Boiling at 70 C for 2 minutes is apparently enough.

One site I googles says the albumen starts to denature at 67 C

If you want to get rid of the salmonella you are going to have to cook it.

I would avoid battery farmed eggs if I had to eat them raw.

The sell by date on eggs is for quality, people won't buy them if they are not fresh. tIf you sore them in the fridge they will last for months. They arn't going to get infected with salmonella in the fridge.

It's not something I would do personally but I hate eggs in any form so might as well remove the risk completly and cook them.

ROSSOred

Chimp
Nov 16, 2003
LEEDS, England
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
There is something like a 1 in 200,000 chance an egg will contain salmonella.

But eating raw eggs is just plain GROSS!
erm u will find the odds of contracting salmonella thesedays is a lot less than 200,000 to 1.....Due to battery farming! Also dependant on ur country too!

Also didnt know jews had a crew!...lol....