Quantcast

RC cars any one?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Hey, who here is into RC cars. It was my hobby before mnt biking, and im looking to sell my T max with .21 conversion. The motor is shot and i have no idea what it is worth, or what it would cost to get a new engine for it... I tried searching some RC car forums, but its kinda like deciphering miles of geek code. :monkey:

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Does Traxxas still do the engine trade in offer? You give them your thrashed out heap some nominal notage and get back a flash new goer. I think they also can do the size upgrade too, so go from .21 to .25 at the same time. Thats got my vote.

Don't sell it, you know you'll regret it later and what kind of market for thrashed rc gear is there? YOu might get token offers, reward for time spent organising the selling; nope.

Still trying to fid reasons not to buy the Savage with the .46 in it, now that will slaughter a T-Maxx :evil:

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
I was really into RC Cars up until I was about 14. I had a couple of shelves worth of trophies on my wall from racing just about every week. Back in the day I rocked a Team Associated RC-12 on the carpet tracks and some Yokomo 4wd thing on the dirt.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
DamienC said:
I was really into RC Cars up until I was about 14. I had a couple of shelves worth of trophies on my wall from racing just about every week. Back in the day I rocked a Team Associated RC-12 on the carpet tracks and some Yokomo 4wd thing on the dirt.
me, too. getting that permit and then license opened the real roads up and i never looked back. i'd rather buy some dot slicks for [insert fun car here in place of my SUV] and go autocrossing on the weekend than dump money into mini cars that may or may not run like the dickens

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Toshi said:
i'd rather buy some dot slicks for [insert fun car here in place of my SUV] and go autocrossing on the weekend than dump money into mini cars that may or may not run like the dickens
Ok maybe a point if you have access to heaps of cash.

In the local Dollars ie Australian Dunlop;
Spec-R tyres of suitable size for my legacy with 17inch rim, $800 each, so $3200 for tyres.

Plus the hard compound brake pads say Endless pads, 500 bucks.

Inevitable wear and tear, probably clutch first $1500 for OS single plate. Allowance for a days worth of Premium everytime I go track side. WRX cvs $1200. Sti LSD front and rear $3000.

Huge slug in the pocket when I do damage to car, also when insuance company finds out and quadruples my premium. :mumble:

Then on the other hand I have:

Tamiya Clodbuster $400
Thundertech Ripper conversion $500
Radio $500
Electronics $800
Set of Tyres $150

Crash hard cost maybe total of $200 if I really bust something. No insurance necessary. Doesn't use fuel, charge batteries from mains. :thumb:

Plus when I do crash I just pick it up and drive home! :D

Leave full size car play to people with lots of money to burn or GT4 where all it costs is a few hour of your life.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
JoeRay said:
Ok maybe a point if you have access to heaps of cash.

In the local Dollars ie Australian Dunlop;
Spec-R tyres of suitable size for my legacy with 17inch rim, $800 each, so $3200 for tyres.

Plus the hard compound brake pads say Endless pads, 500 bucks.

Inevitable wear and tear, probably clutch first $1500 for OS single plate. Allowance for a days worth of Premium everytime I go track side. WRX cvs $1200. Sti LSD front and rear $3000.

Huge slug in the pocket when I do damage to car, also when insuance company finds out and quadruples my premium. :mumble:

Then on the other hand I have:

Tamiya Clodbuster $400
Thundertech Ripper conversion $500
Radio $500
Electronics $800
Set of Tyres $150

Crash hard cost maybe total of $200 if I really bust something. No insurance necessary. Doesn't use fuel, charge batteries from mains. :thumb:

Plus when I do crash I just pick it up and drive home! :D

Leave full size car play to people with lots of money to burn or GT4 where all it costs is a few hour of your life.

I have the Clodbuster(It's my favorite one of my bunch still) I also have the Tamiya Monster Beetle, my first good rc car, that poor thing has been through alot, but it keeps on ticking, had the original speed control go in it, sending it at full speed into a 40 cubic yard garbage compactor had to replace the body, the chassis survived. Had the remote go bad, accidently crushed my father's rc car with it, had the cervo blow in it causing a small fire(got it put out before any real damage was done.) With that cervo blow it shorted out the speed control, put a digital one in it. In all of the RC cars, the motors are aftermarket, uses racing bearings and one or two peices of the body has been cosmetically repaired. I have a T-maxx with the .21 conversion, I just like the clodbuster and monster beetle more than that. My road vehicle is a traxxis with a mercedes slk racing body on it, still building it though.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I have an Associated RC10T3 electric in the basement, I haven't used it in over a year though. I should sell that thing, it's gotta be worth enough to get a few nice bikey bits.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I still have all mine.. but the are all electric

rc-10
rc-10 truck
porsche 959 4wd
frog, hornet, ultima.. aaaa the memories
gonna charge up some batteries tonight

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I have a couple of cars from back in the 80's. A Tamiya Frog/Brat and a Big Bear. Wow... they are 20 years old now... but I haven't run them in years... I don't even know if the batteries will hold a charge any more... Everytime I get ready to fiddle with them to get htem running again, something side-tracks me...

I need to get TV again... I used to get so much more done when I could set up a project in my living room and play with the TV on... Most of my bikes were built that way... and it was fun... now wrenching on bikes is "work." :think:

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Damn True said:
I have an HPI Super-Nitro (bigger than a 1/10 smaller than a 1/8) but I haven't fooled with it in a while.
Ditto...I would like to sell mine since i never play with it, but since I won't get near what I put into it, it continues to sit.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I had a tamiya rock buster, back in 1990 it was the cheapest buggy you could get without buying something at Toy's R Us or Radio Shack. I beat the snot out of it and finally broke one of the shock towers, unfortunately the shock tower was a molded piece of the bathtub chassis so to repair it I would have needed a whole new chassis. I ended up getting a RC10 Championship Edition to replace it and that thing was much faster. I sold it along with the radio, a spare motor, charger and a box of parts for $120 after I graduated from highschool. I can't even remember what I did with the money, it seems like I bought an effects pedal for the guitar that has sat in the corner since I was 19.

About 2 years ago I graduated college and didn't have a job for about 3 months so I picked up a MicroSizer (AKA ZipZap) and raced that thing around the kitchen floor when I got frustrated with monster.com and hotjobs. It was fun, but I lost interest pretty quick because the range was only about 15 feet and there wasn't a whole lot I could do with it, I set up courses but the little thing was too fast to accurately steer. If I were to go back and get another real RC vehicle it would either be an electric stadium truck or buggy, I don't have much interest in fussing and fighting with nitro engines.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Where can i buy a new engine? What would be cheap and good. This .21 i got never worked properly any way...

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
mack said:
Where can i buy a new engine? What would be cheap and good. This .21 i got never worked properly any way...
Don't bother going other than traxxas;

for price get some info on the exchange, it will probably be cheapest. :thumb:

for fitment, will probably take the same mounts and your current pipe should be a goer too.:thumb: :thumb:

for performance per buck. Cause you'd be 'trading in' the engine you get some $ value for it so you can then get a better one for the same cash you were gonna blow on a cheap and krappy one. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Once you get it download or read the break in advice on their (www.traxxas.com) and follow it. It got mine hummin' sweet as a nut

I think they have a dealer finder too on the website.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
lovebunny said:
i got a team losi xxx nt. i blew up the engine so i think im just gonna buy a new one instead of gettin another engine
A new truck instead of an engine? :eek:

BTW Losi rawks :thumb: I have a XXTCR Graphite Plus, and an NTX(predecessor to you XXXNT_

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
my friend has a tmaxx and monster gt (i think thats the name). i was going to get one, but there are lots of small parts that cost alot of money.