Quantcast

rc2x question

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
ok - so after much consideration I went for some 2007 66 rc2x (over boxxer teams).

I'm pretty sure I made the right call for the riding I do and how much I hate service costs... except for the fact I can't get full travel.

Sag is about right (30% or so)
No air in preload
no HSC
3 clicks LSC
3 clicks rebound

I'm about 75kg (er... that's 165lbs approx) and can't get more than about 165mm out of 180mm.

Too much oil in there? Is that the problem? If I took 5ml out of each leg do you monkeys think that'll make a difference?

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Too much oil is a good bet. Marzocchi is infamous for this. 5ml isn't enough, I'd start over and just replace it all the way, should only cost a few bucks.

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
Oil level sounds like the problem for sure as you have the correct sag and therefore the right springs. It's a very good idea to change the original oil and be sure to carefully measure and record what you add to each leg. Then ride the bike over terrain that will represent what you want the forks to handle during your normal riding. If you can just bottom the forks on your biggest (fastest) hits, then you can dial out the bottoming using the high speed compression adjuster.

I keep my rebound pretty quick and my low speed compression tuned to reduce bobbing and fork dive during braking. Use the high speed only as little as is needed to get full travel without harsh bottoming. Using too much hsc will cause hydrolic spiking on high speed square edged hits.

Hope this helps.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Took 20ml out of each leg and am getting closer to full travel. Probably could take a little more out but think I'll leave it for a bit.

Now would like to sort out the preload (reduce the spring preload so that I can use the air spring to adjust).