Quantcast

re greasing the DW DHR bearings

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
hi guys
did any of you re greased his bearings on the new DW DHR ?
should I just push in new grease with a grease gun?
the old grease will get out?

Thanks

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Yeah, do what kidwoo posted and DO NOT avoid the bearings on the driveside. Take the time to remove the crankarm and chainguide and repack those bearings too.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'd go with taking the caps off as well, a friend of mind tried pumping them with grease and the seals popped out of the other side and he couldn't pop them back in without pulling the linkage apart. I'd suggest doing it slowly if you're using the gun.

I'm sure he'll chime in here soon - that's what you get for maintaining your bike jt - should stick to lubing bearings with the pressure washer like me!

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
the pressure washers around my town all have some wax mixed in so it's not all that bad. :weee:

vincent

Monkey
Aug 22, 2004
Bromont, Quebec
I did regrease my bearings a couple times this summer with the caps removed and all went well, it's a great system if you have a proper grease gun and go slowly.

Unfortunately, I may have neglected them a bit this fall and while I dissassembled the bike later everything was looking great except for the upper driveside swingarm bearing which was totally toasted. I tried to punch it with a socket like I did for the others but it just exploded in multiple pieces leaving half the exterior race (broke around it's perimeter) pressed into the swingarm.

photo.JPG

I can't think of a dremel disk that could do that job without damaging the frame and heating the frame will most likely do bad things to the frame's finish.

Anybody has dealt with something like this?

Sorry to derail the thread but I guess it's somehow related.

Carcinogen

Chimp
May 5, 2011
Seattle
I did that on my bighit last week. Ended up using a hacksaw blade to try and cut it but that didn't really work... hit it with a screw driver a few times after soaking it in PB blaster to get it out. Just make sure to hit it evenly around the edge so it doesn't wedge in. But someone will surely chime in with the right way to do it.

Oh and don't be a dumbass like me and miss the bearing race and gouge the aluminum...

vincent

Monkey
Aug 22, 2004
Bromont, Quebec
I know the picture isn't really clear but the bearing is "blind" so it is not possible to hit it to get it out as it is fully seated in there.
Thanks anyway!

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
Santa Cruz's bearing removal tool can get out the outside races if they are left in the hole. Angular contact bearings can do this sometimes...
Check out the tool here: http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/catalog/bearing-removal-tool-butcher-nickel-p-529.html
The two little "sharp" surfaces that are on the left get spread out and grab the groove that the seal sits in that is cut into the race.
You don't mean the hole is blind, right? There's a through hole and a counterbore is what it looks like. This tool will get your sorted out IF the bearings are 28mm OD (6902, 7902 and some others).
I could mail you one to use if you return it when you're done if times are tough...

vincent

Monkey
Aug 22, 2004
Bromont, Quebec
Santa Cruz's bearing removal tool can get out the outside races if they are left in the hole. Angular contact bearings can do this sometimes...
Check out the tool here: http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/catalog/bearing-removal-tool-butcher-nickel-p-529.html
The two little "sharp" surfaces that are on the left get spread out and grab the groove that the seal sits in that is cut into the race.
You don't mean the hole is blind, right? There's a through hole and a counterbore is what it looks like. This tool will get your sorted out IF the bearings are 28mm OD (6902, 7902 and some others).
I could mail you one to use if you return it when you're done if times are tough...

Wow thanks for the help!

My bearing is 28mm OD but has no seals so no grooves in the race... I don't think that this tool can help me unless I didn't understand what you meant. The hole is a through hole and a counterbore like you said, sorry about the confusion, english is my second language.

Here's a picture of one of my bearing and the other half of the stuck race, I can't imagine how ****ed up that bearing was since all the others are still running smootly.
photo-1.JPG

Carcinogen, thanks for the link, I might look into that puller but it's hard to tell that it's gonna work for sure without seeing it.

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Wow thanks for the help!

My bearing is 28mm OD but has no seals so no grooves in the race... I don't think that this tool can help me unless I didn't understand what you meant. The hole is a through hole and a counterbore like you said, sorry about the confusion, english is my second language.

Here's a picture of one of my bearing and the other half of the stuck race, I can't imagine how ****ed up that bearing was since all the others are still running smootly.
View attachment 110436

Carcinogen, thanks for the link, I might look into that puller but it's hard to tell that it's gonna work for sure without seeing it.
You could quite easily cut a rough groove into the race with a dremel/die grinder though, without risking damage to anything else. Then you'd be able to use the bearing puller without any problems.