Quantcast

Re tapping treads on Mavic UST Rims

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Does anyone know if Mavic supply a tap for cleaning the treads on Mavic Ust or road rims? were the nipple/spoke cup tread directly into the rim. Its an odd tread size and its also a left hand tread so not sure what to go looking for from a tooling supplier. It seams a bit of a waste to through a rim in the bin because of one seized spoke nipple.

Ive been googling it and cant find a definite answer on it, some people say it can be done but no idea were to go looking for the tool.

Cheers

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
i asked our local mavic agent but being in Ireland we dont have a propper Mavic service centre. So im waiting on them to find out

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well..... I will tell you a tap is the wrong tool to use........ On an application such as this a tap will weaken the threads and interface.....

The tool you want, is called a thread chaser. It WILL not cut the metal at all, it will clean the threads out, it will push threads back into shape without removing any metal..... All taps cut metal and remove metal even if your just cleaning a thread...... Thread chasers are designed to repair threads and clean threads....... On top of that, taps wont have threading all the way out, you also run the risk of further damaging the wheel by botting out befor ethe job is done, something else that the thread chasers also are above and beyond in this application, they have perfectly even threading.

I have a full set at work, and I have used them for this exact use with extremely great results...... Dont remember exactly which one it is being I have a couple hundred different thread chasers.....

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
cheers for the help. At the moment most of the old spoke nipple is stuck in there so ill have to get it out before i can chase the treads.

wachtourak

Chimp
Apr 26, 2008
Wellington, NZ
I just had one of these break on my 823's. Same deal as you, half the old insert thing was stuck in there. I very carefully cut two slots into the side of it with a dremel then got a flat blade screwdriver and wound the sucker out. Threads were fine, didn't need any re-tapping or chasing or anything which was my initial fear. So give that a go maybe. Mavic do make a tool, but it only seems local agents/distributors have it (I work at a shop, and was told that only the NZ mavic distributor have said tool).

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
its not so much broken more the spoke broke and the nipple is siezed in the rim and when i put the spoke key on it the part were the spoke key went on the nipple just sheered off.