Quantcast

Read Something, Drink Too Much, Argue About It

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I propose A.B. Guthrie's "The Big Sky". Entertaining historical novel. I think it can help explain a lot of modern American culture and attitudes.
old sureshot....

the first cd is still in the car....not sure what I did with the rest....will have to order again....

when they are fighting over the rifle and the guy is squeezing the kids eyeball out of its socket with his thumb.....

yeah...I want to puke a little....

also....what the fuck is sidemeat....

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
‘Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind’ is a good read, occasionally reaching and a fair bit of projection but not where it really matters. Generally an excellent breakdown of how we got where we are. Especially great regarding shared myths that keep everything working. Also he clearly personally wishes we never stopped being hunter gatherers.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
‘Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind’ is a good read, occasionally reaching and a fair bit of projection but not where it really matters. Generally an excellent breakdown of how we got where we are. Especially great regarding shared myths that keep everything working. Also he clearly personally wishes we never stopped being hunter gatherers.
That is one of about 6 books on my "to read" pile that doesn't shrink.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
That is one of about 6 books on my "to read" pile that doesn't shrink.
It has been on mine for a while too, I have a hard time starting ‘non-fiction’ sometimes but I am glad I got into this. It’s not perfect, (the Wikipedia criticism section about the book is accurate) but the book is relatively short and a fairly engaging read and the broad strokes are really good. He strength is he really ties ideas together well and is capable of zooming out to a useful degree.