Quantcast

Realistically, how good do you need to be to ski Silverton...

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
And not have the rest of the group hating you for the day?

If I can ski pretty much anything on the mountain at Copper, is that probably good enough?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
And not have the rest of the group hating you for the day?

If I can ski pretty much anything on the mountain at Copper, is that probably good enough?
Can you ski everything at Copper with style? :D

Have you ever been to Aspen Highlands? The terrain at Silverton is similar to Highland Bowl only there's a lot more of it. There's some seriously steep $hit at Silverton in places.

Sounds like you're planning on going guided? They break into groups of like ability in the morning. Just don't bull$hit them when you tell them how good you are. If you do then the group will likely get pi$$ed.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Can you ski everything at Copper with style? :D

Have you ever been to Aspen Highlands? The terrain at Silverton is similar to Highland Bowl only there's a lot more of it. There's some seriously steep $hit at Silverton in places.

Sounds like you're planning on going guided? They break into groups of like ability in the morning. Just don't bull$hit them when you tell them how good you are. If you do then the group will likely get pi$$ed.
Aside from falling over in the lift line? Yeah.

Guided is the plan for now, but unguided ticks are pretty cheap, so it might be worth trying for a day or two of that as well.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Aside from falling over in the lift line? Yeah.

Guided is the plan for now, but unguided ticks are pretty cheap, so it might be worth trying for a day or two of that as well.
They only offer unguided during specific early and late portions of the season - that might be a factor. Last time we went it was a complete clusterfvck - they'd gotten a bunch of snow and opened unguided skiing. Couple that with a bunch of local resorts closing and the lift lines were over an hour long. :dead:

I'm still on the fence with Silverton... it could be a great ski experience but they need to get their $hit together.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
They only offer unguided during specific early and late portions of the season - that might be a factor. Last time we went it was a complete clusterfvck - they'd gotten a bunch of snow and opened unguided skiing. Couple that with a bunch of local resorts closing and the lift lines were over an hour long. :dead:

I'm still on the fence with Silverton... it could be a great ski experience but they need to get their $hit together.
Seriously? I thought the whole idea was that they never have more than a hundred or so people on the mountain.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Seriously? I thought the whole idea was that they never have more than a hundred or so people on the mountain.
Nope. That only applies during guided-only season. Not sure what their upper limit is on unguided, but I think it's something like 400. Which is *WAY* too many people for their infrastructure.

Maybe early season unguided would be the way to go (before Jan 13th).

rky mtn srfr

Monkey
Nov 26, 2006
Boulder
Have you skied 'Taco @ Copper? if so, you'll prbly be ok. And comfy with blind roll-overs into the abyss? The other part is fitness, you'll do a lot of hiking at altitude. I've heard the fitness part is the biggest challenge from peeps I know who have skied there. Have also heard it's a blast.

Aug 20, 2007
denver co
i got the chance to ride silverton early season last year before it was guided and there is a good amount of terrain that is just plain old fun but once you start to hike over the next peak and around it there is some pretty burly stuff but nothin i found where you would be stuck on a cliff having to jump so if your comfterble in some of the best untouched powder and dont mind wide open turns at top speeds you will be fine but if you are worried about a group hating you go up before i think january 15th and its unguided thats what i did and it was well worth it also half the price have you been there for biking yet? or has anyone?

Edward-Oh

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
Yo,

You gotta be real EXTREME to even think of riding there. If you need any tips checkout grabyournuts.com. I only ski my snowblades when I rip there. They fit thru just about any couly and you can throw them around real easily. Don't let the fear overwhelm you, just GRIP IT AND RIP IT!