Quantcast

rear brake squeaking?

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
What is your brake's make and model? I have heard that rotor design can also play a role in this (the physics of those cooling holes makes for an interesting side conversation). You could try switching the rotor out with a freshly cleaned (isopropyl alcohol only) one and see if that helps.

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
This sounds crazy, but it worked for me after I exhausted every other possible solution and cause in the known universe.

Get a real small file and file a little bevel on the leading edge of the vents in the rotors, on the outboard side only. Don't ask me why it works, but it has worked on 2 different bikes for me.

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
Get a real small file and file a little bevel on the leading edge of the vents in the rotors, on the outboard side only. Don't ask me why it works, but it has worked on 2 different bikes for me.
That's the "physics" part I was referring to earlier. Definitely heard of this working before.

Ha! There are papers on it...http://www.mscsoftware.com/support/library/conf/wuc96/10b_hert.pdf.

Looks like all you need is some beefy mathematical modeling software and you can fine tune your brakes to be silent :thumb:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Those brakes are known squealers.

Usually it's pad contamination that causes such noise. You can't just clean those. Clean the rotors again and pop in fresh pads. If all else fails, zip tie a piece of a grip to the rotor. I did that to a crappy old cable hayes once and it shut up forever.

william4269

Chimp
Aug 16, 2009
canada
Those brakes are known squealers.

Usually it's pad contamination that causes such noise. You can't just clean those. Clean the rotors again and pop in fresh pads. If all else fails, zip tie a piece of a grip to the rotor. I did that to a crappy old cable hayes once and it shut up forever.
its not just that brake though. I've tried 3 other brakes and still the same noise

william4269

Chimp
Aug 16, 2009
canada
the brake mount maybe off buy a bit. magura makes a facing tool.
its an easy fix because all post style brakes you can adjust by undoing the mount bolts that attach the caliper to the adaptor. then squeez brake lever a few times, then lock up the brake and tighten the bolts back up.

also tried the zip tie method and still squeaks. i haven't had anytime to go out and get a set of pads.