Quantcast

Rear Derailleur Poll - what to get?

Which rear derailleur

• Another XT (not bad price wise)

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • A lower level shimano (LX, Deore) (cheaper)

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • SRAM 9.0 with Grip shifters (on sale at Greenfish Sports)

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • SRAM X-9 or X-7 with Triggers (pricey - but worth it?)

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've always had luck with my XT drailleurs. Now that I am finally learning how to fine tune the limit adjustments, I'd hate to start fresh with a new brand.

All parts can break. Sram is not unbreakable.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
I've always had luck with my XT drailleurs. Now that I am finally learning how to fine tune the limit adjustments, I'd hate to start fresh with a new brand.

All parts can break. Sram is not unbreakable.
Have you ridden on SRAM to make a comparison BAbs?

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Originally posted by MMcG
Why Rip? Explain.
With the X.9/X.7, you can just use the thumb which allows for one finger braking, which gives an extra finger to have on the bars. Shifting performance is quicker, looks cleaner and you don't need to change the brake levers unlike with XT. Why go to LX; you've been running a higher level deraillieur on it, you could very well be disappointed by the performance with a LX.

Just got done converting my last bike to a Sram drivetrain. Been using it since they came out, I am yet to be dissapointed in the performance. I will never go back to shimano.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Take this with a grain of salt because I'm still so new to them... but I LOOOOVE my X9 Triggers. The X.O r/d is OK, but still not dialed in.

If you can get SRAM triggers and an XT r/d I think you'd be in good shape. I don't remember off the top of my head if SRAM makes triggers for shimano derailleurs.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by jacksonpt
Take this with a grain of salt because I'm still so new to them... but I LOOOOVE my X9 Triggers. The X.O r/d is OK, but still not dialed in.

If you can get SRAM triggers and an XT r/d I think you'd be in good shape. I don't remember off the top of my head if SRAM makes triggers for shimano derailleurs.
I already have ****mano triggers so if I get an ****mano rear derailleur I won't have the added cost of new shifters.

The Grip shifters are on sale - along with the 9.0 rear derailleur and shorty grips too.

What's the difference between 9.0 and say X-9 in terms of the derailleur itself?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Mark, I recommend the SRAM trigger setup, it kicks ass. One nice benefit to the SRAM derailleur is, you don't have the cable loop in the back.

But if you want a cheap quick fix solution, PM me your address and I'll send you an extra XT derailleur I have lying around. Use it as long as you need to, it you break it no big deal. I'll never use it anyway. Cover the shipping and it's yours.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by Rip
It's worth it for x.9/x.7
I agree. I went with the x.9, from Shimano XT, this year for my race bike and ended up buying two more sets for my other bikes. I love them. The 1:1 ratio is so fast, so quick. I will never go back to Shimano.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Echo
Mark, I recommend the SRAM trigger setup, it kicks ass. One nice benefit to the SRAM derailleur is, you don't have the cable loop in the back.

But if you want a cheap quick fix solution, PM me your address and I'll send you an extra XT derailleur I have lying around. Use it as long as you need to, it you break it no big deal. I'll never use it anyway. Cover the shipping and it's yours.
Thanks for that kind offer Echo!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by jacksonpt

Sram shiftters work well with a Shimano front derailleur, but you have to run a Sram rear.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
Originally posted by Echo

ill take you up on that offer if he doesnt want too.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I would at least try the sram triggers before switching. If you like them enough to warrent spending the extra cash for a shifter then go sram.

As a person who preferes gripshift and is a long term sram user I can't really say that sram is really that much better than shimano. The 1:1 ratio works a little better and you avoid the rear mech loop. Shimano tend to be a bit better for quality and longetivity.

Both systems work well enough that the only reason to pick one over the other is really personal preffrence.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Mark I think you got the 1 in 10 XT rear der that has problems. I run XT rear der because they are cheap and just work for the most part. I bash the crap out of mine and they hold up awesome. The chances of you breaking another one just like you did are slim to none....they usually break in other ways.....and they all break eventually. I have seem SRAM der's break just like ****mano. No drivetrain is immune to breaking! New SRAM stuff works awesome....but so does shimano if you take the time to setup and maintain them. If you do go with another XT buy it up quick because for whatever reason folks are buying up all the old shimano stuff?? .....jdcamb

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I'd go with the 9.0s. You can get both the shifter and derailleur for under a hundred bills and the work VERY well. Yeah, the more expensive stuff is nicer but I tend to go through at least one derailleur per bike per year. I run them on both bikes and just salvage the usable parts from my broken 9.0s and 9.0SLs and frankenstein them together to fight another day.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No reason to switch because of breakage. Any derailleur can and will break. If you whack a flimsy piece of metal on a rock, or run it through your spokes, it breaks. No matter what the logo on it is.

I'd definitly give twist shifters or SRAM a try before switching - I can't use them, they feel unnatural and I always keep my hands on the shifters, so I end up shifting when I pull the front end up. And SRAM triggers shift differently from Shimano so no matter what you want out of SRAM, try before you buy.

You can pick up XT rear derailleurs online for not much money, and then you don't have to change your shifters, or fool with housing/cable lengths. Unless you're unhappy with the Shimano setup, or really like a SRAM setup that you've tried, stick with the XT.