Quantcast

Rear Floater on my AC

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
Just had my first ride with the brake therapy floater. What a great upgrade. It came with the Hadley hub all set up with the floater. It made a big difference on the AC which is notorious for the rear end stiffening under braking. Brian at therapy is great, the guy even answered one of my emails on easter , EASTER! man now thats customer support. All in all a great peice of equipment.

Attachments

vtrider

Monkey
Apr 11, 2005
vermont
wow almost exactly like my ac. only difference is i have a super t on front, and you have a different rear shock (is that a 5th?), and minor things like rims...
I was considering that brake therapy floater. how much did it set you back?
did you mount that e13 guide with icsg mounts?
sick ride.

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
The rear shock is the stratos el jefe. Not sure what the retail price of the floater was, but I remember it being cheaper if I bought the hub from therapy also. And I mounted the e-13 with the adapter that evil supplied. :evil:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nice build.

Does the shock fit when it's flipped upside-down so that the hose has to flex less?

Looks sweet, though!

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
The el jefe is great, I was happy with the difference in ride feel from the swinger I had before. The shock will fit upside down but the hose would be at an odd angle due to the angled rotatable banjo fitting.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
The Rose said:
Just had my first ride with the brake therapy floater. What a great upgrade. It came with the Hadley hub all set up with the floater. It made a big difference on the AC which is notorious for the rear end stiffening under braking. Brian at therapy is great, the guy even answered one of my emails on easter , EASTER! man now thats customer support. All in all a great peice of equipment.
could you do me a really quick favour? i need to know how much clearance you have between the rotor bolts and the brake mount on the floater, i'm running one on my DH Team and things haven't exactly been perfect so far (different hub though).

So if you could give me a rough idea of how much clearance you have it would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Mark

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
the measurement between the rotor bolt and the brake mount is .018 inches. I should have checked it in mm also but I didn't think to . Hopefully this helps you out.

stratguy1618

Monkey
Apr 18, 2004
AC's are great trail bikes, but are not good for DH/FR if your going to bitch at me for saying that they arent meant for that, trust me because had 2 aand loved them to death, but then came the day when I broke both of them one on the seattube, and one on the chainstays, then i kinda gave up on them. Although I am a heavy rider so it would prolly make a good FR rig for a smaller rider. Looks like a sick bike though!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yeah, I agree with Stratguy1618...not trying to down your ride but with all the extra cash you spent making the AC more dh oriented you could have bought a a bike designed to handle it....D

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
The Rose said:
the measurement between the rotor bolt and the brake mount is .018 inches. I should have checked it in mm also but I didn't think to . Hopefully this helps you out.
thanks for that! kinda puts my mind at rest, figured the gap should be really small but just had to make sure!

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
no problem man, any time. As to the AC nay sayers, This is my second AC. The first was stolen, so I replaced it with another. At first it was a all around bike , I used it for everything. But I made the change to just DH at the end of the 2003 season. The bike has held up fine, the pivots havn't even developed any slop yet ( although I do have a set on hand) .The head tube is still round, and there is'nt a crack to be found. The rear travel is somewhat limited but it does fine. I've had it off 8 footers and it doesn't bottom. And now with the floater it cuts through rocky sections like a champ. so If the bike breaks in half I'll just get another AC frame for about a third of the cost of a normal DH bike. I was pricing DH frames over the winter before I decided to put the money into the AC. I just wasn't ready to sink 1400 to 2000 dollars on a frame. And them spend the money on new parts. I like to make due with what I have. :devil:

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
The Rose said:
Thanks for the kind words. As for answering emails on Easter, you just got lucky, don't tell everyone about the times it took several days to email you back....

Hopefully the new web site will be done soon, with a pic of your bike on the customer page. If any other monkey with our stuff on want their bike on our new website, drop me a line at braketherapy@therapycomponents.com

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Rik said:
All that for an AC... I wouldn't be suprised if the floater tore the seattube out of the frame :dead:
Any seat tube has many, many, many times the strength needed to handle braking loads. It won't be a problem.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
scottishmark said:
could you do me a really quick favour? i need to know how much clearance you have between the rotor bolts and the brake mount on the floater, i'm running one on my DH Team and things haven't exactly been perfect so far (different hub though).

So if you could give me a rough idea of how much clearance you have it would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Mark
Mark,

design clearance is about .5 mm for the disc bolts, but big headed Hope bolts won't clear. You mention things haven't been perfect, anything we can help with? I prefer happy customers.

Brian

stratguy1618

Monkey
Apr 18, 2004
shock said:
Any seat tube has many, many, many times the strength needed to handle braking loads. It won't be a problem.
Except my old one I broke...But I didnt have a floater, I dont even know how it broke...I basically went up a curb and snapppp

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
stratguy1618 said:
Except my old one I broke...But I didnt have a floater, I dont even know how it broke...I basically went up a curb and snapppp
Well that just looks like a crappy weld where the tube joins the spud to the bottom bracket. Looks like it was caused by the downward load on the pedals/bottom bracket area, opposed by the upward force on the rocker pivot. which is a completely different load path than the floating brake clamp would introduce.

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
shouldn't need a floater on a four-bar linkage, especially with so little travel. Unless, its just to keep your flexy frame from breaking. Buy a Transition, they're not expensive, way burlier, with a similar suspension design.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
kicknitLivE said:
shouldn't need a floater on a four-bar linkage, especially with so little travel. Unless, its just to keep your flexy frame from breaking. Buy a Transition, they're not expensive, way burlier, with a similar suspension design.
MIT called. Your honorary engineering PhD is ready...

MD

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
MikeD said:
MIT called. Your honorary engineering PhD is ready...

MD
Word.

Hey, guy, the AC, like the Transition, is a linkage actuated single pivot. There's no Horst link or anything else. The bike basically benefits as much from a floater as an Orange FS bike would. And there's enough travel on that bike for it to make a difference.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
kicknitLivE said:
Oh, man. I'm.. just.. not even sure what to say about this.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:
Oh, man. I'm.. just.. not even sure what to say about this.
Tell him he's just been admitted to CalTech. We can riff on a theme.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MikeD said:
Tell him he's just been admitted to CalTech. We can riff on a theme.
Good idea.
kicknitLivE said:
CalTech called. They said you're an idiot.

Wait. I don't think that quite worked with the theme :think:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:
Good idea.

Nah, you did OK.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
kicknitLivE said:
Making us Western WA MTBrs proud I see.

:rolleyes:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
binary visions said:
Good idea.

DeVry called, they have an opening on the janitorial crew.

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
Considering my bike doesn't need a floater, nor would it recieve any benefit to it's performance, I must be imagining the fact that the rear end remains active even under braking. Befroe the floater, I could have sworn that I was getting tossed all over the trail every time I applied the rear brake. :eviltongu :evil: :stupid: :cool:

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
The Rose said:
Considering my bike doesn't need a floater, nor would it recieve any benefit to it's performance, I must be imagining the fact that the rear end remains active even under braking. Befroe the floater, I could have sworn that I was getting tossed all over the trail every time I applied the rear brake. :eviltongu :evil: :stupid: :cool:
Thanks for the good word, Rose. Like I said earlier, I like happy customers. You guys are my best advertising, and hearing/reading the enthusiastic comments is cool. Almost makes me think we're making good stuff here.

Brian/Therapy Components

braketherapy@therapycomponents.com

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
Hmmm my banshee never had any brake related jack or lock up in the rear. Wonder why you don't see any bikes of this design with a floating brake option. My ME degree is on schedule, actually.

EL-Jefe

Chimp
Nov 16, 2004
Hilltop
I agree that the AC is more of a trail bike than FR or DH, but they take alot more abuse than one would think. I rode a 2002 AC for about two years and loved it. I took it off many drops and jumps. Only after two years i cracked the top tube. they sent me a 2004 ac1 as a repacement. which i have done numerous drops upwards of 15- 20 ft, and it did just fine. As long as the landings are smooth it can handle it. Not alot of room for error. It jumps great since it is so light and can easily be whiped around in the air. The only problems ive had is bearings getting thrashed, but ill give up a little bit of burl for a super light hucker. I think the tension screws on the rear shock rocker plates make them weak and i run the 2002 ones that are solid, since i have bent the new ones. As far as the rear being unstable I havent noticed it much, Its probably because of the light rear end that it bounces around on rough terrain. I have pushed this bike about as far as anyone could and it has held up. I still have the original front rim and recently replaced the rear one after four years of riding it. Enjoy your bike If it works for you more power to you.

Attachments

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
kicknitLivE said:
Hmmm my banshee never had any brake related jack or lock up in the rear. Wonder why you don't see any bikes of this design with a floating brake option. My ME degree is on schedule, actually.
Your banshee, as well as this frame, Konas, Transitions, and many other frames are nothing more than single pivots with a linkage to actuate the shock. Technically, they're 4-bars, but they will react exactly like single pivots when braking.

You don't see many bikes at all with a floating brake option, except for DH race bikes.

I'm afraid your ME degree has been put on hold since you appear to have no knowledge of the subject matter... There's nothing wrong with not knowing about a topic, but don't try and discuss that topic with any authority :rolleyes:.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
kicknitLivE said:
You mean like this?