Quantcast

Rear shock choice

Samslon

Chimp
Apr 23, 2002
Long Island City
Just blew my Manitou Swinger 6 way. I'll send it back to get it rebuilt but I want to get something else to ride while that's at the shop. I was thinking either a Roco WC or a DHX 5.0. Any thoughts?

Also, how does stroke length make a differnece? The shock on my bike is 9.5 eye to eye with I think either a 3.0 or 3.25 stroke - I have an 05 Devinci Ollie. Will the quarter inch make a difference? The spring says 400x3.0 but when I measured it, it looked like it was 3.25 to the end of the shock.

tonyl

Chimp
Oct 2, 2007
Teh reason why the coil measures longer is because of binding. The stroke is 3" but the coil is longer so when the shock is fully compress the coils of the spring don't touch each other and let you use ful travel.

If you change the overall Eye to Eye, Best case it will effect your geometry. a shorter shock will give you a slacker HT angle and lower BB. Worst case, the tire might hit the frame on compression or metal on metal.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Roco WC hands down. I have a Manitou 6-Way, DHX 5.0, and a Roco WC, and The Marzocchi is my favorite hands down.

I'd go with what the spring says, but check online at the Devince website to see the correct stroke and i2i of the shock, or call them since it is an older model.