Quantcast

rear shock selection thoughts

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
Got a similar prob.

Ditching my DHX Air off my Lapierre Froggy (2.3:1 LR - 180mm) and looking for a coil replacement. I do aggressive all mountain, light freeride and some local DH tracks (nothing too huge!).

First choice was the Elka but I've now heard a lot about the noise they make, is this still the case? Being tuend for your ride is a benefit and good CS.

The X-fusion seems alright on the surface, but no real reviews out there yet. It could be worth a try (good weight). Not tuned for your ride but some reviews saying better than the RC4.

CCDB is also a contender as it is so adjustable and comes with a couple of good reviews from other Lapierre owners. Comes tuned. Its just so darn expensive.

The RC4 is also in the running but.....I reckon 1 of the three above could be a better option....just gut feeling!

Any recommendations!!!!!!
Welcome to RM. I used a ccdb on my spicy and it was a match made in heaven. Definitely worth sourcing one if you can stretch to the cost.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Anyone have pertinent dimensions for making reducers to work with the CCDB's spherical bearings? I might need to make them before I have the shock in hand.
Just wondering, would running spherical bearings in the shock increase the service life of the seals?

If your frame is flexing all that movement goes straight to the shock, surely having a shock that can accomodate slight angles under compression would reduce mid stroke stiction and put a lot less load on the shaft seal.

Any ideas?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Just wondering, would running spherical bearings in the shock increase the service life of the seals?

If your frame is flexing all that movement goes straight to the shock, surely having a shock that can accomodate slight angles under compression would reduce mid stroke stiction and put a lot less load on the shaft seal.

Any ideas?
Well, I think that's the idea. How well it works/ how much it matters, I don't really know.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

Any ideas?
Not so much the seals as the bushing that the shaft bears on, it means you get less load on that which in turn means less friction. CCDBs in my experience seem equally prone (ie not very) to having the main seal leak/blow as any other shock out there.