Quantcast

rear wheel. how much flex is too much?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
when I hold the bike and use force on the rear wheel I can make it flex to the sides a bit
How do I know if it's all right or is it too much?

Hope you understand my question...

Thanks

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
My intense SS flexes alot. I had no idea it did until a lifty at highland "demonstrated" how flexy it was to me. I told him, I wish he hadn't shown me that, but I've never really noticed it while riding.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Well
It's not the frame. (already checked that)
It's the wheel.
The tire is 2.35 minion (can't do anything about that flex, can I?)
The rim is wtb dual duty fr.
I'm afraid to tighten the spokes too much...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I'm afraid to tighten the spokes too much...
As you should be, since too much tension can snap spokes and nipples or deform rims. If there is much friction in the threads you can round nipples or twist spokes while tensioning. Knowing how much spoke tension a wheel can take comes from experience building lots of wheels with different spokes, nipples, and rims. Your rims can take a lot of tension, do you have brass nipples and 14g spokes? If so you can run the max possible tension, but knowing what that is by feel takes experience. There is a measurement for this and a tensiometer tool but I haven't used those in years and go by feel now.

You definitely want those spokes as tight as possible for a stiff wheel so I recommend you show the wheel to an experienced mechanic and ask if it can be tighter. Once he says it's fully tight squeeze a pair of spokes that run parallel to each other on the same side (not ones that cross each other) and remember how that tension feels for future reference.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I have a friend who works in a bike shop
he have the tensiometer tool.
I'll go there and check
how much should it be?

I know it should be stiffer on the disk side.

Thanks

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
There is a card in the box with the tensiometer that lists max tension for 14g spokes. The shorter side (left in front, right in rear usually) should be this max tension with the longer side suitably softer to dish the wheel.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I ride a WTB Dual duty FR on the front of my hardtail. It's not majorly flexy but no way would I attempt to run one on the back of a DH bike. If you are managing to run one for DH then yeah, take it to your local wheelbuilder friend and get it re-tensioned. don't forget the biscuits ;)

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I run Dual Duty FR rims on my DH bike and beat the living piss out of them. Any rim/wheel will have flex if it isn't built properly.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
As long as you dont feel it is ok but as you do - go with the previously mentioned advice - visit a wheelbuilder.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Have just check the wheel today at the bike shop
It seems that it is stiffer than other (new) wheels on new bikes in the shop
So I was just paranoid :eek: