Quantcast

Rebuilding a Manitou Firefly

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Hey monkies, just wondering if you guys could steer me in the right direction.

I'm looking at rebuilding a 2003/2004 Manitou Firefly and was wondering what kind of seals/parts I'm going to need to complete the task.

I searched online and found some parts available at Cambriabike, but I was hoping someone with more wrenching experience can confirm for me as well as give any helpful advice. I've swapped out the coils several times and replaced the oil, but that's the extent of my wrenching on the fork so far.... what should I be prepared for...

Thanks in advance.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I guess I am not sure exactly what you want to know. If there are broken parts (outside of the regular service parts), my guess is you are SOL as that fork is pretty old.

-You can still source seals, however, I spent a few $ at a commercial seal supplier on 4th ave south and replaced the extra crappy Manitou seals of that era on several models with real oil seals and wipers.
-The o-rings on the bottom of those forks usually were good for a single install cycle. It is a stock size that you can get any any hardware store.
-I use/used synth motor oil for the bath lube (mobile 1)
-the manual (or something essentially identical) is still avaiable at the manitou site

Assuming you have the TPC+, there is a bit of tuning you can do easily, and lots more that is possible if you want to play with aftermarket shims.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
^^^

Fairly simple fork to rebuild. At least my Sherman Flick was. Most of the o-rings can be sourced at a good hardware store. You MUST replace the o-ring on the bottom of the fork leg, those ones get shredded and trust me, they will leak enough oil to eventually empty your fork. Other than that the other o-rings were replace as necessary.

I also used motor oil for lubrication. Lucas brand 5W/40. There is a manual available, or at least there was, and I have a copy if you need it, but it is a very simple fork to take apart and put back together as I'm sure you know.

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Thanks for the info guys - that's exactly what I was looking for. I was able to dld a manual, and actually managed to dig up the one that came with it.

Davep - do you remember where you got the seals?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I dont remember the name as it has been a while. IIRC it was a place that Mcguire bearing pointed me toward. Small place near Lucille st I think. Check the yellow pages for 'hydraulic seals'...or call some of the bearing suppliers down there, they somtime stock some seals, or should be able to point you in the right direction.

I just took the lowers (or uppers for the Dorado) down there with the stock single piece seal/wiper that Manitou used. They were able to find a true oil seal that would sit where the foam ring was, and replace the Manitou wiper with a better unit with the clearance for the oil seal.
The oil seal mod is not necesary for your fork (although it is the correct way) but for the dorado, the stock seals leaked oil like a sieve...all over the wheel, brakes, etc. NOT cool!

NOK brand makes good stuff...if you have calipers at home and can measure the bore and depth, you could probabaly find seals through Mcmaster or similar.