Quantcast

Rebuilding Iraq: bidding on the jobs

looseunit

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
adelaide
Your choice of countries seems a tad mixed up. Yeah, Viet Nam was a mistake. A big mistake. Many people died and a country was laid waste. Definitely not one of our finer moments. And I'll concede Nicaraqua and most of the countries in Central and South America. We have been poking around in their affairs since Monroe gave us permission. And I agree with the tendency (they are our neighbors and important with regards to defense, economic issues, etc). But we only seem to get the meddling right some of the time. Nicaraqua is a perfect example of how badly we can do our job.

But I draw the line there. We had every good reason to go into Afghanistan. No apologies for that one. The Taliban deserved what they got. My problem is that we seem to believe we have won that one. It ain'tover yet. But it seems we are giving them time to re-group.

And where does Tibet come in? As of last night, it seems we had taken a hands off posture regarding Tibet. No strategic interests I guess in a nation of mountains and snow. Although, I imagine the SKI lobby would love to see us go in and turn the whole country into ASPEN WEST.

Regarding your assertion that America is hated throughout the World. That's not a news flash. We have worked hard for many years to garnish that hate. We are used to it. Our skins have grown thick. And from the many escapades we have participated in, one could conclude we want the rest of the World to hate us.

Hate us or love us, America has had an overall positive effect on World Affairs. Had there been no counter to Russian Imperialism, then posters of Nikita and Josef would be hanging in many parts of the globe. Had we not been around for WWll, well, figure that one out for yourself. Whine all you want about what we do, and who we do it too. But the bottom line is we will continue to meddle, it's our nature.

Blame for this latest round of "cultural Imperialism" is IMO, placed at the feet of Osama and his band of losers. Had they not upped the ante as they did on 911, I doubt very seriously there would be troops in Iraq. And maybe the real blame should be placed on the shoulders of all the moslem nations who allowed the cancer to grow and blossom. I hold all Moslems accountable for what is going on now. Keep your own house clean before critisizing someone else's.
At last count America has had military involvement in something like 48 countries since the WW2. As for Tibet American and Britain were both for years suppling arms to fight the Chinese. Tibet was a bad example, but there are so many so many others.

What after supporting the tailban for how many years, just to fight communism. The Vietnam is a similar example, support them during the WW2, dont help them when they want independence from the French and fight them when their is a communist threat and kill millions in the process and destroy a country in the process.

To me ever since the WW2 America has chosen it enemy wrongly, I could give you many examples. The same goes Iraqi, what WMD and Israeli has made them for the past how many years is it any wonder every Arab nation wants wmds. To remove a dictator that you help to put in place and help arm, because he a more stable than the Iran regime. So much for supporting democracy, free trade and free speech. To solve many problems in the middle east you should start by looking at Israeli.

Originally posted by looseunit
At last count America has had military involvement in something like 48 countries since the WW2. As for Tibet American and Britain were both for years suppling arms to fight the Chinese. Tibet was a bad example, but there are so many so many others.

We do get around don't we? And we will continue this tendency as long as we perceive threats to our way of life. It's not right. It's not wrong. It is the way it is. Every government has the right to defend itself. To that end, they will do what they think is necessary to survive.

What after supporting the tailban for how many years, just to fight communism. The Vietnam is a similar example, support them during the WW2, dont help them when they want independence from the French and fight them when their is a communist threat and kill millions in the process and destroy a country in the process.

You would think we would learn from the previous mistakes. But no, we forge ahead, backing losers only to change aour minds later. We could improve our foreign policy, that's for sure.

To solve many problems in the middle east you should start by looking at Israeli.

I'm not sure how to take that one. IMO, Israel has not done such a stellar job either. IMO, the Palestinians and the Iraelis deserve each other.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by DRB
After they overcharged the US 61 million for gasoline on a no bid contract, not me. Wonder if Cheney can continue to protect them and softball them work?
On a contract worth billions a contractor allegedly overcharging the government only $61M is not that bad (that's less than 1%).

Military aircraft manufactures rip off the government waaaaay-waaaay-way more than that.

Halliburton is only under a microscope because the demo's hate Pres Bush but the seem to hate Vice Pres Cheney even more...

looseunit

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
adelaide
QUOTE]Blame for this latest round of "cultural Imperialism" is IMO, placed at the feet of Osama and his band of losers. Had they not upped the ante as they did on 911, I doubt very seriously there would be troops in Iraq. And maybe the real blame should be placed on the shoulders of all the moslem nations who allowed the cancer to grow and blossom. I hold all Moslems accountable for what is going on now. Keep your own house clean before critisizing someone else's.[/QUOTE]

That comment is so broad and getting close to being racist. laying the blame on Muslims is a load of crap, there are how many Muslims in the world and how many moslims nations. Some of the terrist that have been involved with 911 were from the Philippines which is the worlds largest roman chathlic country. What about Malaysia and Indonesia which are the worlds two biggest Muslims countries, how many terrorist are from those countries, as a percentage of population it is very low. There have also been terrorist that have been arrested and from Singapore which is not a Muslims nation and is one of the safest citys/countries in the world. Hell you have even had terrorist attacks in America that have been done by Americans, yet it is easier to blame another race and religion.

Have you ever thought that may be America involvement in the middle east and support for Israeli might have something to do with there being Muslims terrorists. Also the vast majority of terrorist come from very poor back ground, highlighting the difference between the rich and the poor. Maybe the west has brought this on itself.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by N8
On a contract worth billions a contractor allegedly overcharging the government only $61M is not that bad (that's less than 1%).
C'mon guys make up your minds, either you care when your hard earned taxpayers money goes or you don't.

If you don't, I'll settle for $600,000 (that's less than 1% of Haliburton's less than 1% for the same amount of work, and I'll even send a thank you note).

Just send your bank account details and I'll do the rest..

looseunit

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
adelaide
We do get around don't we? And we will continue this tendency as long as we perceive threats to our way of life. It's not right. It's not wrong. It is the way it is. Every government has the right to defend itself. To that end, they will do what they think is necessary to survive.
Once appon a time the USA belived in have an isolation policy and not medaling with other countries affairs. I just wish it did now. But as a countries right to defend it self, that is so funny the USA must cover the whole world.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
QUOTE]Blame for this latest round of "cultural Imperialism" is IMO, placed at the feet of Osama and his band of losers. Had they not upped the ante as they did on 911, I doubt very seriously there would be troops in Iraq. And maybe the real blame should be placed on the shoulders of all the moslem nations who allowed the cancer to grow and blossom. I hold all Moslems accountable for what is going on now. Keep your own house clean before critisizing someone else's.

That comment is so broad and getting close to being racist. laying the blame on Muslims is a load of crap, there are how many Muslims in the world and how many moslims nations. Some of the terrist that have been involved with 911 were from the Philippines which is the worlds largest roman chathlic country. What about Malaysia and Indonesia which are the worlds two biggest Muslims countries, how many terrorist are from those countries, as a percentage of population it is very low. There have also been terrorist that have been arrested and from Singapore which is not a Muslims nation and is one of the safest citys/countries in the world. Hell you have even had terrorist attacks in America that have been done by Americans, yet it is easier to blame another race and religion.

Have you ever thought that may be America involvement in the middle east and support for Israeli might have something to do with there being Muslims terrorists. Also the vast majority of terrorist come from very poor back ground, highlighting the difference between the rich and the poor. Maybe the west has brought this on itself.
[/QUOTE]

You blame the Jews, he blames the Muslims. Both of you are part of the problem. Definately not part of the solution.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Once appon a time the USA belived in have an isolation policy and not medaling with other countries affairs. I just wish it did now. But as a countries right to defend it self, that is so funny the USA must cover the whole world.
And as a result the world got World War II with MILLIONS and MILLIONS of dead. Most of them innocent civillians. A policy of isolation does NOT work.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Originally posted by N8

Military aircraft manufactures rip off the government waaaaay-waaaay-way more than that.

Halliburton is only under a microscope because the demo's hate Pres Bush but the seem to hate Vice Pres Cheney even more...
So if it was Clinton's former company it would be okay as well to you?

Don't bother responding, we all know what the answer is.

QUOTE]Blame for this latest round of "cultural Imperialism" is IMO, placed at the feet of Osama and his band of losers. Had they not upped the ante as they did on 911, I doubt very seriously there would be troops in Iraq. And maybe the real blame should be placed on the shoulders of all the moslem nations who allowed the cancer to grow and blossom. I hold all Moslems accountable for what is going on now. Keep your own house clean before critisizing someone else's.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it might be racist and I don't care. Any religion that tolerates any violence against another is evil IMO. Doesn't matter what religion. And throughout the ages, different religions have fostered violence in the name of their god. Christianity has no reason to hold it's head high either. But at this point in time, it is the Muslim faith that is generating the worst cases of violence against the rest of the World. And I hold them accountable. And to all the Muslims in the World, I say clean out the bozos in your ranks. Until you do, then I have nothing positive to say about your religion. But then, I don't have much to say in a positive way about most organized religions.

We can get into the cause and effect maddness if you want. Rich/poor, Black/White, men/Women - it doesn't matter to me. Any group that wraps itself in some kind of holy rapture and preaches the gospel, and then allows factions within it's ranks to do harm should be held up to scrutiny. And they should be put down hard if they are proven to have a hand in the violence.

As far as Israel goes, I think we should drop them like a bad habit. And that isn't anti Jew rethoric either. It's their stupid and hardheaded attitude towards the Palestinians. But then the Palestinians seem to ask for it. A no win situation IMO.

As to bringing it upon ourselves. Of course we did. That's what we do. But in the case of terroism, I have no problem with the USA challenging any country proven to be a conduit of terror money, supplies and personel. This is a war I feel we have to win. The problem I have now is IMO, we are not aiming true. We are in the wrong country. But we are there now, so we have to finish what we should have finished in Gulf War one.

looseunit

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
adelaide
You blame the Jews, he blames the Muslims. Both of you are part of the problem. Definately not part of the solution.
I don't blame the Jews, they have every right to have their holy land, but who I blame is America and its very one eyed support for Israeli. One country can get away with state back terrorism that is quite often ignored by America so much for human rights. One side has had nuclear weapons for years with the knogedge of the USA, there are some major inequalities in the middle east and to sponsor one side verses the other is stupid which is what I have been getting at and big difference to blaming all Muslims for terrorist attacks.

looseunit

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
adelaide
And as a result the world got World War II with MILLIONS and MILLIONS of dead. Most of them innocent civillians. A policy of isolation does NOT work
Could you have imagined 50 years ago many European nations agreeing to a single curency. Alot has changed in Europe in 50 years and i dont think that there could be another Hitler in Europe agian and the same goes for japan. Europe has moved on both poloitcaly and socialy, but has America.

Hey, I'm with you on that one. Doesn't make sense does it? But it might have something to do with the fact that we have our economic pinkies stuck in every corner of the globe. By necessity, we cannot be isolationist. And I think we feel the need to police the World because no one else will step up and do it. I just wish we were smarter about it.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by CRUM

Yeah, it might be racist and I don't care. Any religion that tolerates any violence against another is evil IMO. Doesn't matter what religion. And throughout the ages, different religions have fostered violence in the name of their god. Christianity has no reason to hold it's head high either. But at this point in time, it is the Muslim faith that is generating the worst cases of violence against the rest of the World. And I hold them accountable. And to all the Muslims in the World, I say clean out the bozos in your ranks. Until you do, then I have nothing positive to say about your religion. But then, I don't have much to say in a positive way about most organized religions.

We can get into the cause and effect maddness if you want. Rich/poor, Black/White, men/Women - it doesn't matter to me. Any group that wraps itself in some kind of holy rapture and preaches the gospel, and then allows factions within it's ranks to do harm should be held up to scrutiny. And they should be put down hard if they are proven to have a hand in the violence.

As far as Israel goes, I think we should drop them like a bad habit. And that isn't anti Jew rethoric either. It's their stupid and hardheaded attitude towards the Palestinians. But then the Palestinians seem to ask for it. A no win situation IMO.

As to bringing it upon ourselves. Of course we did. That's what we do. But in the case of terroism, I have no problem with the USA challenging any country proven to be a conduit of terror money, supplies and personel. This is a war I feel we have to win. The problem I have now is IMO, we are not aiming true. We are in the wrong country. But we are there now, so we have to finish what we should have finished in Gulf War one.
I'd say it was definitely a bigotted remark and the follow up doesn't really improve on it.

Check your figures and you'll see that Muslims have killed far fewer people than (nominally) Christian people. A few militant 'Islamic extremists' (they might perhaps see themselves as Arabic freedom fighters btw) are kill a few thousand 'Christians' and the 'Christian' state kills several more thousand in effective response. Of course, we have 'God on our side' eh? No side of this culture is occupying any moral high ground IMO.

As for terrorists, can you clearly define a terrorist?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Could you have imagined 50 years ago many European nations agreeing to a single curency. Alot has changed in Europe in 50 years and i dont think that there could be another Hitler in Europe agian and the same goes for japan. Europe has moved on both poloitcaly and socialy, but has America.
And people probably couldn't imagine another Napolean 80 years ago.

Europe will be a battlefield again, historically it has always been a case of war/peace/war/peace etc. We are in a stable period but it wouldn't take much to change that. In fact the admission of Eastern European states to the EU is going to provide a challenge to a stable Europe. Plenty of Western Europeans currently moan about asylum seekers, how are they going to react when thousands of Poles, Lithuanians, Estonians, Latvians etc come to Western Europe to work for half the wages of the locals?

The single currency is not that popular even in the states that have adopted it and some may yet drop out...

Originally posted by fluff
I'd say it was definitely a bigotted remark and the follow up doesn't really improve on it.
I had no intention of improving on it. Maybe just expanding it. Nor do I care how people take it. It is how I feel.

Check your figures and you'll see that Muslims have killed far fewer people than (nominally) Christian people. A few militant 'Islamic extremists' (they might perhaps see themselves as Arabic freedom fighters btw) are kill a few thousand 'Christians' and the 'Christian' state kills several more thousand in effective response. Of course, we have 'God on our side' eh? No side of this culture is occupying any moral high ground IMO.

A numbers game? Sure Christians have killed more people. What's your point? My point is the now, that means, currently, more people are being killed by a group using their faith as their support. And that group happens to be of the Muslim faith. Which has now resulted in a tit for tat, with a predominately Christian country going and killing Muslims. Really doesn't make sense does it? But to not respond to attacks designed to terrorize would be foolish. And talking does not work. And you are right about moral high ground. But morals and reality don't mix well.
And as to God being on our side. I don't think so. From what I have seen go on in this world, God's hand seems to be arbitrary at best. I think he/she/it set all this up and is now comfy in the ole heavenly barco-lounger viewing all our stupidity and silliness and laughing his/her/it's butt off.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Naive sentiment at best.

The US (at great effort) kept the Allied nations from pulling the same nonsense they did after World War I in punishing the Axis nations to the point that they recreate the same problems again. Europeans have a habit of carrying grudges much much longer than the US does.

Fluff makes good points in his post. While great strides have been made in cooperation, there is a great amount of discord that runs just below the surface and it is getting worse. I'm not sure I would go so far as to say it will be a military battlefield again but certainly an economic and political battleground. Those battles, especially the economic ones, can have impacts that are as devistating as military ones.

Why could there not be another Hitler? Because nations are not willing to hide their heads in the sand and allow it to happen. They would not hide behind their borders and say that is someone else's problem. If isolationism is such a good thing, I don't remember your complaints of NATO intervention in Kosovo and Bosnia. Or the UN's involvement in East Timor.

looseunit

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
adelaide
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by CRUM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for terrorists, can you clearly define a terrorist?

Cant agree more the vast majority of Muslims and Muslim nations are not extremists and are moderates. As for putting down any religion that encourage violence, you obliviously have very little understanding of any religion, or any other culture.

looseunit

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
adelaide
And people probably couldn't imagine another Napolean 80 years ago.

Europe will be a battlefield again, historically it has always been a case of war/peace/war/peace etc. We are in a stable period but it wouldn't take much to change that. In fact the admission of Eastern European states to the EU is going to provide a challenge to a stable Europe. Plenty of Western Europeans currently moan about asylum seekers, how are they going to react when thousands of Poles, Lithuanians, Estonians, Latvians etc come to Western Europe to work for half the wages of the locals?

The single currency is not that popular even in the states that have adopted it and some may yet drop out...
I think that Europe could well became a battle field in the future, but not like in the past the will be small scale in comparison. The reason I say this is the world is allot small than it was 50 years ago. Look 50 years ago and see how many countries in non eastern Europe have stable democratic governments. Compared to now Italy would be the main exemption to this now and many European countries now have left governments Germany, Britain and Sweden. A hundred years could you have imaged a tunnel between England and France, yet for both countries to fight along side in two world wars. Despite the British royal family being related to the Czar in WW1.

Looking back a history after WW1 there are many thing that pinot the Germans and Italians being involved in some conflict again. Think about it now who would invade who or shoot who to start a major conflict in Europe.

As for immigrants looking for work in Europe for high paying jobs that could well be a bigger problem than it is now. In the past countries like Italy have had very large number of illegal immigrants, but now that problem is spread of the rest of Europe. Saying that some European countries have had far less problems with illegal immigrants, Sweden has had a different approach to dealing with them compared many most other European countries and seem to have far less problems. Problems with illegal immigrants seems to have allot to do with what government do with them.

As for many countries not supporting the Euro, Sweden, Switzerland, Britain are the biggest non supporters. With the price of the Euro rising against the price of the US dollar, I think more countries will wont to have the Euro. Saying that I am not living in Europe, but from freinds and family who have been living in Europe I have not heard of single complaint outside of the UK. I think I that is the case that the Euro will compete well with the US dollar and may some day be worth more, many economist believe this will happen n and so do I.

looseunit

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
adelaide
Why could there not be another Hitler? Because nations are not willing to hide their heads in the sand and allow it to happen. They would not hide behind their borders and say that is someone else's problem. If isolationism is such a good thing, I don't remember your complaints of NATO intervention in Kosovo and Bosnia. Or the UN's involvement in East Timor.
I don't think their will be another Hitler in Europe unless there are some major changes with the EU. As for Kosovo and Bosnia the EU wanted to take action, but could not decide what to do and the Americans wanted to take action and would not commit troops. All this went on while thousands of people died under a fairly useless air war. How many tank were and planes of the enemy were destryed. I think that there could be a next Hitler, but not from Europe, maybe south America or East Asia.

As for the UN involvement in East Timor was mainly bought about by Australia who for years has silently supported its independence from Indonesia. The vast majority of military involvement was Australian, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia and several other Asian countries. The American involvement was something like the use of 2 transport planes. All of this was brought about through the UN. The other reason Australia wanted to free east timor was timor straight which has an oil field, and the contract was resigned by Timor and Australia. As for the UN they are about to with draw from Timor, but Australia will ,more than likely have a military presence there for allot longer, just not under the heading of the UN.

American involvement in world affairs is important, but should be far less reactionary and have more thought put in to it. I think things have got far worse in this manner under Bush. Bush before being elected did not even no the name of the president of Pakistan leader of one of the most populous countries in the world that has been in tit for tat war with India for close to 50 years. How is the world meant to feel safe with a leader like that, not knowing about any other country apart from his own. He has also had somthing like only 12 press confrences since being elected, which is far lower than any president before him, who is he accountable for.

As for putting down any religion that encourage violence, you obliviously have very little understanding of any religion, or any other culture.

You can pass my comments off as those coming from someone who does not understand the realities of the World. I could care less. I hold in the same regard, your insistence on tolerance and understanding.

The time for understanding is over. Violence in the name of any idol is wrong, period. As long as that violence is aimed at me and mine, then my reaction is to give as good as I get. 20 years ago I was trying to understand. Now I do not care to. Now, I want the threat removed. And it would behoove the Muslim faith to begin a cleansing process from within. Things will only get uglier if they don't.

To allow so many Clerics and intellectuals the latitude to preach and foster Hate is tantamount to a stamp of approval. Surely, 95% of all Muslims hold us no violent ill-will. Yet, they seem ok with the messages of hate generated from many mosques in many places. Go ahead and tell me it is but an extension of the frustrations of poverty and neglect. Go ahead and tell me they have watched us take and not give back. So much BS. The manner in which their own societies are set up are the main reasons they have nothing. And rather than blame the root cause, a scapegoat is named, America.

That said, I believe we have made a delectable target. There is much to dislike about our interactions with others around the globe. But there is much to like also. We are willing to put our citizens in harm's way for others. We spread stupid amounts of money and aid throughout the globe. And all the while, knowing the recepients hate us. We lead with our chin.

You seem to indicate that what the fanatics in the Muslim faith are doing is somehow understandable based on the historical evil the Christian faith has been involved with. Well, both are guilty of using religion to further political aims. One of the reasons I no longer am affiliated with any church is because of this tendency. Organized religion IMO, has done more harm over the ages than good. Organized religion, by it's very nature, polarizes and seperates groups from one another. It's bad enough we have to have borders. Throw in religion and things can get ugly and repeatedly have.

So go ahead and tell me I don't understand. Maybe not. One thing I do understand is, America is a target. And as long as we are, the room I have for understanding and tolerance is diminished to the point of no return.
An afterword - This recent upsurge in Muslim fanaticism seems to be following a very predictable timeline within the history of their faith. It seems that around 1000 to 1200 years after a religion has been around, a wave of fanaticism hits. Zealots within the religion sense a softening of adherence and begin to take on more hardline approaches in their doctrine and interpretations. In the Christian religion, it was the Crusades at approximately 1100 years. Not a very bright chapter in the Christian faith. Apparently seeds for what is now a true hatred of Christianity were sown then. Fanatical teachings within the Muslim faith started to rear their ugly little heads sometime in the mid to late 19th century and have been gaining ground for over a hundred years. Hopefully, they have peaked and will now begin a historical dampening.

IAmerican involvement in world affairs is important, but should be far less reactionary and have more thought put in to it. I think things have got far worse in this manner under Bush. Bush before being elected did not even no the name of the president of Pakistan leader of one of the most populous countries in the world that has been in tit for tat war with India for close to 50 years. How is the world meant to feel safe with a leader like that, not knowing about any other country apart from his own. He has also had somthing like only 12 press confrences since being elected, which is far lower than any president before him, who is he accountable for.

Well, I guess there is one thing we can agree on. Bush has joined Lyndon Johnson and Ronald Reagan on my list of presidents in my life I have no use for.

looseunit

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
adelaide
An afterword - This recent upsurge in Muslim fanaticism seems to be following a very predictable timeline within the history of their faith. It seems that around 1000 to 1200 years after a religion has been around, a wave of fanaticism hits. Zealots within the religion sense a softening of adherence and begin to take on more hardline approaches in their doctrine and interpretations. In the Christian religion, it was the Crusades at approximately 1100 years. Not a very bright chapter in the Christian faith. Apparently seeds for what is now a true hatred of Christianity were sown then. Fanatical teachings within the Muslim faith started to rear their ugly little heads sometime in the mid to late 19th century and have been gaining ground for over a hundred years. Hopefully, they have peaked and will now begin a historical dampening.
I agree, but what about the Spanish inquisition there were still around only around several hundred years ago. As for fanatic you could also look at Christian missionaries in the same way converting pagans. Blind faith and fanatics are bad what ever way you look at it.

As for Fanatics in Asian is a different story, they come several different countries. The Philippians where there are Muslim groups that want independence from the Philippians. Jerma Islamia (sp) the main terrorist group in Asian and their aim is have an Muslim state in Asia. Allot of the suspected terrorists have been from the Philippines and there are more than one terrorists group based there all after an independent state. There is allot of government corruption, that is helping arm these supposed terrorist groups. I would not call all of them terrorist groups there main aim is freedom from the Philippines and it has been a gorilla war more than anything else.

As for Russian and the Chechens, they have been fighting each other for hundreds of years, and what the Chechnya are doing now is very similar to what Imam Shamil in the 1800s, taking hostages and fighting the Russians.

looseunit

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
adelaide
Well, I guess there is one thing we can agree on. Bush has joined Lyndon Johnson and Ronald Reagan on my list of presidents in my life I have no use for.
What do use live presidents for?:eek:

You must ask yourself how American would be if it had preferential voting system and the Westminster system of government similar to England, Australia and I think New Zealand. I think that I would be allot harder for someone like bush to be president/PM.

I agree, but what about the Spanish inquisition there were still around only around several hundred years ago. As for fanatic you could also look at Christian missionaries in the same way converting pagans.

The Inquisition was not a jhad. It was an instrument of internal controls. Not a foreign policy tool. The various missionaries were indeed used in a detrimental way. While they did not usually bring violence with them, it was never very far behind.

Blind faith and fanatics are bad what ever way you look at it.

I couldn't agree more. Whenever the fringe of any movement gains control, the controls placed upon them exist no more. Ugliness and death to those who oppose them are SOP. And that is my point regarding the various extreme elements within the Muslim faith. They have a stronger hold on doctrine than I feel is healthy. And the only way to purge them is from within the ranks of the faithful. They have to clean up their own church. We can bomb em til the cows come home, and if they are still allowed to preach their message of hate and discontent, the bombs will not work.

What do use live presidents for?:eek:

Well, some folks want to use Ronnie for the new head on the dime.

You must ask yourself how American would be if it had preferential voting system and the Westminster system of government similar to England, Australia and I think New Zealand. I think that I would be allot harder for someone like bush to be president/PM. [/B]
Regarding the presidential election, what we have is hardly democratic. By use of the Electoral College, we are but playing lip service to the idea of democracy with each vote we cast.

It would be a lot harder for someone like Bush to be instated if we didn't have such an apathetic population. We deserve what we got.

looseunit

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
adelaide
Regarding the presidential election, what we have is hardly democratic. By use of the Electoral College, we are but playing lip service to the idea of democracy with each vote we cast.

It would be a lot harder for someone like Bush to be instated if we didn't have such an apathetic population. We deserve what we got.
That is true, but most people definition of democracy comes from the Greeks, which was not a true democracy either you had to be male and a land owner. So there has always been flawed thinking of what democracy is.

My opinion if you were to use Westminster system of government having two house of parliament and preferential voting system all of your votes count not just one. The last American election result would have been a hung parliament with no majority of either party there would have been less chance of going to Iraqi. Many other bills of government would not be pasted in to reality, because it has to go pasted more than one house of parliament two lots of voting. So in that respect I think apathetic population george bush would find it alot harder to do what he has done. In my opinion any way.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
That is true, but most people definition of democracy comes from the Greeks, which was not a true democracy either you had to be male and a land owner. So there has always been flawed thinking of what democracy is.

My opinion if you were to use Westminster system of government having two house of parliament and preferential voting system all of your votes count not just one. The last American election result would have been a hung parliament with no majority of either party there would have been less chance of going to Iraqi. Many other bills of government would not be pasted in to reality, because it has to go pasted more than one house of parliament two lots of voting. So in that respect I think apathetic population george bush would find it alot harder to do what he has done. In my opinion any way.
So how the heck does anything get done??? Especially items that are nessessary but not politically popular?

Sounds like a mess to me.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002

Your prediction is absolutely rediculous as a different form of government would have radically changed the circumstances surrounding an election and an outcome would be impossible to determine. The first and most important of which is that it is doubtful that either house of Congress would have an even number of members which allowed the tie that existed at the time of the election.

looseunit

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
adelaide
So how the heck does anything get done??? Especially items that are nessessary but not politically unpopular?
Just because something is political unpopular does not means it gets done. Depending on the government majority, a bill might not get passed until it gets changed what usual happens. It may be passed by one house of parliament but not the other. With this system everybody who is in parliament votes and represents the concerns of there voters. If a bill is repeatedly not passed a government can call an election. Funding of political parties is also done as a percentage of the vote, so in this way sponsorship does not effect the outcome of an election as much.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Just because something is political unpopular does not means it gets done. Depending on the government majority, a bill might not get passed until it gets changed what usual happens. It may be passed by one house of parliament but not the other. With this system everybody who is in parliament votes and represents the concerns of there voters. If a bill is repeatedly not passed a government can call an election. Funding of political parties is also done as a percentage of the vote, so in this way sponsorship does not effect the outcome of an election as much.
I think historical record show the US version of a democratic republic works best for our country. Sure there are a lot of flaws but over all it has allowed us to become the world's only superpower we are today in a tad over 200 years. No other country that can claim that. And it has a lot to do with the economic freedoms we have like the quote says, "the business of America is Business."

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
This is not exceptionally different from what the US has today. Legislation has to be passed by the two houses of Congress. The Congress is made up of folks that are directly elected by the people. If it can't, it is modified until it does or it dies. The difference is that the President then has to sign the legislation into law.

Elections happen every two years for the House of Representatives so there is no real need to "call" for an election as it is about to happen most of the time.

The only problem you have with the form of US government is who is in charge. If we had a better president, in your mind, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Originally posted by N8
So how the heck does anything get done??? Especially items that are nessessary but not politically popular?

Sounds like a mess to me.
And what we have is a smooth, well oiled machine? Our esteemed legislators have a million and one ways to avoid the "items that are necessary but not politically popular". Our system is as screwed up as anyone else's. Hell, they spend over half their time and well over half the salary I participate in paying to get re-elected.