Quantcast

rebuilt recon 351...put oil in coil leg? help

Chimp
Sep 5, 2011
I changed out the oil and converted the Motion Control to make it adjustable at the crown instead of a bar mounted lever in my '08 recon 351 U-turn coil. The tech manual specs 30ml oil in the lower leg of the coil (left side) leg? I added the oil, but probably half of it drained out of the top of the stanchion....clearly I don't understand something...although I don't see how or why the coil leg needs oil...there really isnt even an upper or lower to that leg is there? Also, the fork when adjusted to 130mm BARELY sits there, whereas before, it sat about 5mm above the 130mm line...any ideas? thanks. Seems to operate fine, maybe i'm mental about thinking it sat 5mm higher before.

Chimp
Sep 5, 2011
Finally got around to riding regularly and remembered this post...anyone have any input?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
With respect to the ride height, I think that it isn't uncommon for u turns to be out a bit.

Oil draining out the stanchion? Was the slider in place and bolted on? Is the oil supposed to be injected into the bottom of the slider before the rod and foot bolt are done up? I have not had a u turn coil in a while, but my recollection was that they needed grease on the coil and oil in the slider to lubricate the bushings.

Chimp
Sep 5, 2011
Thanks for the reply...my only concern was that before I rebuilt it it sat 3-4mm higher, but I've since taken it back apart and there's nothing I can find to have caused it and the fork works fine so whatever. As to the oil in the coil leg, I believe the manual said to place the fork upside down with the slider inserted and pour in X amount of oil into the fork leg via the bolt hole, didn't make much sense to me because most of it seemed to run out right away. Like I said the fork operates fine, just thought maybe I missed something obvious.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
But the top cap is supposed to be in place which will contain the oil. If you lost a bunch of oil out the uncapped stanchion, you want to do it again. Or is the top cap leaking? I changed the open bath lubricating oil in two Fox forks last night. Same process. 30ml of 10 wt in an upside down fork through the holes in the slider where the inner rods go through. I am always surprised at how much better the fork moves after I do this.