Quantcast

Rec-Rac

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Kanter said:
THRILLSEEKA
If I lived closer to you, I would have ya make me a front and rear bumper, roll cage, and a bike rack for the back of my truck.
Move.

Besides, all those hills must get in the way of some pretty scenery... Like here! We can see for miles, and miles and miles...and......miles.............

I'll dig around, if I can find a Bronco that someone will let me "borrow" for a week, then we could be good.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
THRILLSEEKA said:
Couldn't give a crap less what "score" recommends! For one, rockcrawling isn't Score racing. In rockcrawling, cages are winch points, bumpers, highlift points, and anchors. Score drivers just need to survive a rollover, we have to survive a rollover 4 times a trip and look good on monday.
Second, "the minimum necessary" has NEVER been a mindset for me. Who cares what Score wants? These are cages for hobbyists! Weekend warriors. Ever seen a 1.50" cage in a fullsize rig? It's stupid looking. It would be like 22ga spokes in your DH rims, weenie and useless. Yeah, it'll survive the first bump, but the second? Third? Get my point?
Yeah Bro! ever see a truck flip it at over 80 mph in the whoops, bet it takes alot more beeting than a turtle roll.
I've done the off road for hope, mda runs and jeep safari's for several years as well as rock crawled before racing so I am a little informed as to what it takes Bro....
I've seen the jackhammer and drew did the rubicon, betcha between the both of us we havee been more places and put more miles under our rigs as well as been around if not doing the fab thing for quite awhile.
No offense just been doing the extreme thing for awhile! :D
Your work looks good, I'll give you Kudo's on the caddy style with the triple gussets.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Actually...I was in one when it flipped at 80. On the interstate. 1.75" holds.
Anyway, you felt the need to point out useless info,(not totally useless, just for the topic at hand) and I countered. Fugging Score regulations don't mean sh*t to anyone but Score drivers. If I was building a cage for a Score truck, that would matter to me. And for the record, I'm 33 and have been Hardcore wheeling since I got my drivers liscense at 14. Geez...here I am fighting over this junk again, this is why I ditched my rigs and fled the scene. Everyone thinks they know everything and nothing important gets said. Back to the bike world I go...say nothing more of tube, please.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
THRILLSEEKA said:
Actually...I was in one when it flipped at 80. On the interstate. 1.75" holds.
Anyway, you felt the need to point out useless info,(not totally useless, just for the topic at hand) and I countered. Fugging Score regulations don't mean sh*t to anyone but Score drivers. If I was building a cage for a Score truck, that would matter to me. And for the record, I'm 33 and have been Hardcore wheeling since I got my drivers liscense at 14. Geez...here I am fighting over this junk again, this is why I ditched my rigs and fled the scene. Everyone thinks they know everything and nothing important gets said. Back to the bike world I go...say nothing more of tube, please.
Great I turned 33 on Jan 30th so your wisdom isn't that much more as far as years of experience and score as a basis is designed with safety in mind pertaining to 5 point and crush zones that are made to break away or cause the cage to move in a certain direction should it break protecting the driver and passenger. I thought the whole issue was based on safety of a cage therefore it pertains to it directly.
As far as thinking I know best, by all account I don't but I did alot of research and asking at stuart raceworks and a variety of others before building mine.
I agrea that it seems feable to be arging in a biking forum over whos a better fabricator. I don't think that I am I was just giving a suggestion or a reference point and a place to look as far as viable information on cages and safety points that have years of exeprience behind the rules and why.
So anyhow we can squash the argument and move on!
Like I said I like your work it looks good and the trip. gus look sweet, you do one heck of a job.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Yeah, the "everyone knows everything comment..." wasn't necessarily directed at just jou, either, I can't just shut up and listen, it isn't my nature.
I would be safe saying your siggy would fit well at the bottom of my posts as well...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
What the hell are you doing up at 338am THRILLSEEKER? :)

I really need a bike rack like the scbikerack. The problem with my pickup is that I have a F150 supercrew and the bed is 5'5" and I cant shut the tailgate. I need a rack where I can load them in at an angle and still close the tailgate.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
THRILLSEEKA said:
Yeah, the "everyone knows everything comment..." wasn't necessarily directed at just jou, either, I can't just shut up and listen, it isn't my nature.
I would be safe saying your siggy would fit well at the bottom of my posts as well...
Thats cool, I get that way also.
I have kids so getting all defensive or directive is a direct result from the little monsters. :D
Nah they are great, they just do what kids do.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Here is a little pic of my old Blue Bronco flexin a little. This was before the 2" body lift and fiberglass hood scoop.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Kanter said:
I really need a bike rack like the scbikerack. The problem with my pickup is that I have a F150 supercrew and the bed is 5'5" and I cant shut the tailgate. I need a rack where I can load them in at an angle and still close the tailgate.
You need one of my hitch-mounted racks, lol. I can't see having them available for about six months though, unfortunately.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
1000-Oaks said:
You need one of my hitch-mounted racks, lol. I can't see having them available for about six months though, unfortunately.

Ive got a T2, I just need something for the bed of my pickup.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Well dude, that's easy enough! Just need a rack that mounts the bikes in backwards by ONLY the rear wheel, then you can simply turn the bars. Only clearance issues would be the pedlas and downtubes.
I just scored a great deal on 3 Yakima Lockjaw mounts and trays($70 shipped!). I'm going to build a rack that uses the stake holes in my bedsides(until I go fiberglass, anyway)and stick the bikes up above the bed. That would leave room for toolboxes, tools, gear, wood, etc.

And since everyone's posting pics of NOT bikes, I found these while looking for samples for Kanter! Ahhh....the memories...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
THRILLSEEKA said:
Well dude, that's easy enough! Just need a rack that mounts the bikes in backwards by ONLY the rear wheel, then you can simply turn the bars. Only clearance issues would be the pedlas and downtubes.
I just scored a great deal on 3 Yakima Lockjaw mounts and trays($70 shipped!). I'm going to build a rack that uses the stake holes in my bedsides(until I go fiberglass, anyway)and stick the bikes up above the bed. That would leave room for toolboxes, tools, gear, wood, etc.

And since everyone's posting pics of NOT bikes, I found these while looking for samples for Kanter! Ahhh....the memories...

We do the faster tuff truck style stuff. Did you see the vids in the other thread?

This is my bike hauler with 2" lift and 33s. 6" lift and 35s soon.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Just turn the bike upside down on the handlebar and seat. Slide it up against the back of the cab and you can get an assload of bikes in by alternating them.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I don't think he needs an assload, just one or to, and the seat/bar trick isn't a quick, secure way to carry anything, goes the same for the "why not just use tie downs" response.
I'll go get a pic of the one in my Yota... hang on...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I need to be able to haul 4 bikes in the bed. Maybe, Ill just spring for the SCBIKERACKS rack.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Why not use the rear wheel clamped idea I offered? Similar to this(see pic), only it needs to more securely clap the rear wheel, so the front can do what it needs to. Actually, I kinda like that idea, if I decide to keep mine in-bed, I may look into that further. The OTHER option would be to make a simple mount for the front wheels that mount up on the bedrails. Then you can alternate them back and forth and probably keep half your bed open.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I can't say that this works for any rig as my Toyota bed is exactly the same length as my bike! And actually, I had to move the front mount back an inch after putting the drop crowns on because it shortened my WB a bit.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Well, then there you go! A street corner style rack to hold four rigs in the back of your rig. Just need a rack that will TIGHTLY clamp the rear wheel, and release easily. So, something similar to the SCBikes thing, but for $100 instead of $700. Ooh! Or perhaps a swing-down style arm that will press DOWN on the tires, with slots for them to exit up through. Maybe a large twist knob to tighten the whole works down. Wouldn't work well with 24" wheels, though....

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
So a 12"x60" base plate with 2" tubing bent at 90 degrees bolted to the plate and a huge QR at the top of the tubing. Sorta like the scbikeracks rack. That would be super easy to build.