Quantcast

Reccomend me a grill.....

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
binary visions said:
Ever bought meat at CostCo? They actually have some really good meat.
Oh, I agree - you don't need to spend $20 a pound at Lobels (www.lobels.com) to get good meat - my point was that you also don't need to spend $2500 on a Viking grill to cook meat on.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:
If you want the bling, though, go for a Vermont Castings :drool: :drool: :drool: - my dad bought one and it's so damn nice... The the thing is so solidly made that it looks like it would survive a nuclear explosion.
I looked at those online this morning and they look really nice. I have my eyes on one with a 602 cubic inch grilling surface and no side burners. :drool:

J

JRB

Anything that will fit in the fireplace. Nothing beats indoor grilling.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I Are Baboon said:
I looked at those online this morning and they look really nice. I have my eyes on one with a 602 cubic inch grilling surface and no side burners. :drool:
I've played with the Weber grills (never seen a Viking, though), and honestly, I've never seen one as solidly built as the VT Castings. The thing looks and feels like it was machined out of one solid hunk of metal.

No noise or rattles anywhere - slam the cover open, slam it closed, go nuts with the wire brush, kick it, set off a stick of dynamite in it, anything you want. No hot or cold spots when grilling, but any decent grill should provide that. The build quality is what you pay for.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
binary visions said:
:stupid:

I'm going to have to pick up some meat on the way home. Maybe some spicy Italian sausages...

Going out to dinner to celebrate Laura's birthday - I'm going to have to order something grilled for sure!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MMcG said:
Going out to dinner to celebrate Laura's birthday - I'm going to have to order something grilled for sure!
Awesome, wish her happy birthday from some random guy on the internet that she doesn't even know. You know, from me. :D

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So MBC and I were in Lowe's the other night looking at grills (Webers and Char-Broils). Apparently, we need to buy one of the higher-end models because I grill year round and the grill needs to be able to handle being used in New England winters.

:think:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
well, ask the sales guy what the means? ie, does a heavy-duty grill cover suffice?

pssst. check out the ducanes. :thumb:
Actually, we came to that conclusion by reading the literature they gave us. I guess the material in the frame and grate need to be be durable enough. I think we need stainless steel and procelain, respectively.

I'd like to check out Ducanes if I can ever find a dealer.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
Actually, we came to that conclusion by reading the literature they gave us. I guess the material in the frame and grate need to be be durable enough. I think we need stainless steel and procelain, respectively.

I'd like to check out Ducanes if I can ever find a dealer.
from MMcG's post:

There is! One in East Hartford and Wallingford, CT - they actually carry Ducane and Weber so you could go there and compare the two brands Babs

http://www.vinnysshowplace.com/gardencenter/grills.htm

what part of the grill needs to be stainless and/or porcelain? i call BS on that. i'd go w/ a stainless grilling surface, but for the body, cast aluminum (if heavy enough) should be fine.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
from MMcG's post:

There is! One in East Hartford and Wallingford, CT - they actually carry Ducane and Weber so you could go there and compare the two brands Babs

http://www.vinnysshowplace.com/gardencenter/grills.htm

what part of the grill needs to be stainless and/or porcelain? i call BS on that. i'd go w/ a stainless grilling surface, but for the body, cast aluminum (if heavy enough) should be fine.
Porcelain grilling surface, stainless body. Then again, this is information coming from LOWE'S, and I do not trust Lowe's.

I forgot about McG's post. Ducane's website will not load for me.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
you can clean the grilling surfaces via your oven's self-cleaning cycle. i should do that again, they are getting a bit grimy.

the stainless hood seems to be a big $$$ item though. i am 99% sure my grill is cast aluminum, and it has a lifetime warranty.

edit - weird, ducane's site isn't loading for me either, but it worked a week or so ago.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hey IAB, I think your sales guy is full of crap. A heavy duty grill cover will keep your grill safe, and if you're at all conciencious about wiping it off before you throw the cover back on, it'll be fine.

I've been buying $20 Char-Broil charcoal grills for years, which are not rust-proof by ANY stretch of the imagination, and the only time they actually rust is when I stop covering them when not in use. Most any grill's surfaces (excluding the interior) are painted unless they're brushed stainless or aluminum.

Steel doesn't rust because it's exposed to water. It rusts when it's exposed to water for long periods of time. Hell, steel MTBs see a ton of water exposure, right?

edit: incidentally, my $200 Fiesta has a lifetime warrenty on all of its castings, and a 5 year warrenty on everything else. I fail to see how they would offer that if the grills will suddenly self destruct due to using them in the winter.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
gotta go with the weber brand.. they last forever and they are gaurenteed. you cant go wrong WEBER!!!!!!!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
For everyone preaching about Webers, have you ever used anything else for comparison? Webers sure look nice and have a good reputation, but they are not the only decent grill manufacturer on the market.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
For everyone preaching about Webers, have you ever used anything else for comparison? Webers sure look nice and have a good reputation, but they are not the only decent grill manufacturer on the market.
it's like Brian carrying on about Hopes. :p

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
it's like Brian carrying on about Hopes. :p
Maybe someone will put BUY WEBERS in their sig. :p

By the way, as far as Webers being thought of as expensive, comparable Char-Broils were within $100 of the Weber prices.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I Are Baboon said:
Maybe someone will put BUY WEBERS in their sig. :p

By the way, as far as Webers being thought of as expensive, comparable Char-Broils were within $100 of the Weber prices.
Hmmm. :think:

When we were looking, it seemed that the comparable Weber (size-wise) was several hundred $$ more. :think: Maybe Char-Broil has upped their prices.

Or maybe the one at CostCo was really cheap.......

-S.S.-

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
I look at it this way. im not gonna spend $100 dollars on sumtin that will last 5 years. i would rather spend that $300-500 and get a grill that will last 20+ years

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
yonton228 said:
I look at it this way. im not gonna spend $100 dollars on sumtin that will last 5 years. i would rather spend that $300-500 and get a grill that will last 20+ years
I wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment. However, the implication is that one must spend many hundreds of dollars and buy a top notch product in order for it to last many years.

I had dinner cooked for me the other night on a cheap, bottom-of-the-line propane grill that's 15+ years old. It rattles like crazy, has a small cooking surface, and no features to speak of, but the guy replaces the grill once every several years and replaced the burners once (to the tune of $30).

Pay for quality, but don't be deluded into thinking that inexpensive products can't last for years and years.

Oh, and IAB, this grill has survived year-round grilling for this time in New Hampshire... a sure testiment to stainless steel being unnecessary if it's taken care of :D