Quantcast

recomend me some knee/shin pads

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I would like something light, breathable and not super expensive.

it would be really cool if they stayed inplace while I rode as well.

open back seems to be a good idea, something that I don't have to take my shoes off to get around my legs.

Go!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
pnj said:
I would like something light, breathable and not super expensive.

it would be really cool if they stayed inplace while I rode as well.

open back seems to be a good idea, something that I don't have to take my shoes off to get around my legs.

Go!
I just bought a pair of the Rockgardn air force. Open back, light, you don't have to take your shoes off to put them on, and so far they stay in place pretty good.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I have the Race Face Rally FR pads. They breathe pretty well, excellent protection all the way down your shin. Open back with 3 calf straps and 2 knee straps, they don't move around much.

So far the best I've had, and I've had a lot of bad ones. (661 4x4, Dianesse, the old Qranc pads)

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'm less concerned w/ my shins then my knees. my knees are soft like a babys head, my shins are pretty much all scar tissue.

where did you get your pads? the few online places don't seem to have any of the ones mentioned.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
pnj said:
I'm less concerned w/ my shins then my knees. my knees are soft like a babys head, my shins are pretty much all scar tissue.

where did you get your pads? the few online places don't seem to have any of the ones mentioned.
I also have the new 2004 TLD pads...like em so far.

you can buy direct from TLD at www.troyleedesigns.com

have you also checked Jenson www.jensonusa.com and cambria www.cambriabike.com ?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I wear 661 Race knee/shin pads. I think they're great. They don't slide around at all and are not very hot. They have protectd my legs from many potential bruises. :)

I got them from Price Point last year.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I Are Baboon said:
I wear 661 Race knee/shin pads. I think they're great. They don't slide around at all and are not very hot. They have protectd my legs from many potential bruises. :)

I have those and they are pretty good, but if you don't get the straps absolutely perfectly straight, it feels like the velcro is trying to saw your leg off.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
pnj said:

I ordered mine from the DHZ, you can also go the the Rockgardn web site and order them there.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Tenchiro said:
I have those and they are pretty good, but if you don't get the straps absolutely perfectly straight, it feels like the velcro is trying to saw your leg off.
I have not had that problem. I strap them on nice and tight and have not felt any discomfort from the velcro. What year model are yours? Mine are 2003, which I believe are different than earlier year models.

I also have the matching arm pads but I would not recommend them. They cover from the wrist to the shoulder and slide down if you don't tighten them to the point of cutting off your arm circulation.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I Are Baboon said:
I have not had that problem. I strap them on nice and tight and have not felt any discomfort from the velcro. What year model are yours? Mine are 2003, which I believe are different than earlier year models.
They have the white platic instead of the new black ones PP is selling but I don't know exactly what year they are. I did get them sometime in '03 though from PP.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
I have the roach rally fr, and I like them a lot more than my rockgardns. My rockgardns slid around a lot and stretched eventually. The roach are a little hotter, but they fit way better. But I think rockgardn improved theirs for 2004.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i'm wearing the Dianese FR and they actually don't move bad if you strap them the right way, but they do cost an arm and a leg.
An important point in picking up knee/shin armor when you trail ride alot is avoiding straps that will chafe your skin after more than a 10 mile ride, like the 661's and Roach's. Race Face just bought out Roach and issued theirs and i used it once, the knee pad is open on the top allowing dirt and mud in to grind the F*** out of your knee's. Interested in the Troy Lee, Acadian always has good advice......

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Skookum said:
i'm wearing the Dianese FR and blah blah blah.....

yea, who had the good idea of making pads that you wear in dirt, white?

I know what your saying about dirt/crap getting inside pads and wearing a hole in your knee. that sucks.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
pnj said:
yea, who had the good idea of making pads that you wear in dirt, white?

I know what your saying about dirt/crap getting inside pads and wearing a hole in your knee. that sucks.
All's i know is that when i take off the Dainese my legs aren't caked in sweat like when i took off the 661's. And i trust the same Dainese pads for the rare times i do insane FR or DH.
You've seen my crash, you've seen my girth hit the Earth brotha.
You know....... :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:

It is funny - I have the same pads as IAB - just a model year older and I think they suck monkey balls. :dead: They never stay in place on my kees at all and they become annoying.

I have 661 wraparound ones and they stay in place better, but are hot, and they also are fabric inside that irritates my skin.

recently I've been rockin 661 Dirt Jumper knee pads since I'm pretty much riding clipless on all my rigs now.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MMcG said:
It is funny - I have the same pads as IAB - just a model year older and I think they suck monkey balls. :dead: They never stay in place on my kees at all and they become annoying.
y'know i bought those and sold them immediately as well. They were on sale for 30 bucks if i remember right. i in turn went and bought the Dainese that i have now and they also slid around, and my frustration mounted, but then i discovered that criss crossing the straps made them stay put! Maybe that's what IAB does to his to make his stay put......?........?.......