Quantcast

Recommend a product...

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I know I'll catch some flak, but I really dig the grip shifts for the rear. Fast shifts up and down on changing terrain.

I also think good armor has helped since it inspires more confidence in your riding.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Fox 36 TALAS fork damn thing laughs at stuff and you can pedal it all over the mountain.

X.0 rear mech/shifter combo - expensive as hell but no worries problem free shifting when it counts.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Easton Cully Pedals

5.10's

E13 Chain Guides

Lock-Ons

Air sprung DH Forks

Integrated Stems

I-beam Seats and Posts

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
DMR products - for relatively inexpensive components the quality is just great. They are well designed, work and don't cost an arm and a leg. Oh, they're usually light too.

Endless lifetime - Its geometry just works. I have it setup with a light fork and a selection of light but durable components, and use it as my dirt jumper and SS/XC rig. This kind of bikes (light DJs with a big enough cockpit to pedal) are just perfect as "ride-around" bikes. To and from the DJs, skatepark and mini-rides with your XC buddies after work. (Now the fanboy bit: After a few years riding it I can say that I will never sell this bike, I'm perfectly used to it by now, and still pretty much in love with how it rides.)

Raceface Rally FR kneepads - The best fit I have tried so far, although you might have to sew back a velcro strap or two after a while.

FSA Pig DH headset - for a DJ this very simple non-sealed headset is great. Cheap to buy and eventually to service. It's a headset, it works fine and it's cheap.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
odi lockons. addictive stuff although im siding with patineto on that the diameter is a tad too big.

nokon housing. ever tried a vbrake with those things on? no? then plz do.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Roach/Race Face knee/shin guards - so nice.

Sinister Splinter - does everything, does it well.

Hydro disc brakes - I like my Hayes Mags, other people don't like 'em. I'll stand by my opinion that disc brakes are the most significant advancement in biking over the past decade (yes, even more than good suspension, but it is close). The ability to stop when it is wet, scrub speed over long downhill runs, and not blow up rims or tires due to overheated braking surfaces (rim walls) open up so many lines that are otherwise not possible.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Lockons

Odyssey Linear Slic cables

Hydro discs

Air suspension that works, like Boxxers and 36s

Body armor

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Macneil pivotal stuff. Im surpised this stuff hasnt caught on in xc racing and the like.

My macniel SL seat and post weigh about the same as my short thompson post with a titanium railed SLR style seat. The macneil post and seat are overbuilt for bmx. They have a super big , beefy bolt going thru the seat, the post is butted and clearly overbuilt, and it is designed to be thrown, smashed into the ground, and landed upon. Ill let you guess how long the slr seat lasts if your feet blow off the pedals. once.

Yes, you do loose fore and aft adjustment, but you gain a super large range of tilt adjustment that a normal post cannot offer. The macneil will never slip, either. It rocks.

A macneil pivotal style post that was pared down so it wasnt as overbuilt, along with a longer, more xc oriented seat that had the pivotal attachment would be considerably lighter and more comfortable then a slr type seat, not to mention infinatley more durable.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
A.P said:
Macneil pivotal stuff. Im surpised this stuff hasnt caught on in xc racing and the like.

My macniel SL seat and post weigh about the same as my short thompson post with a titanium railed SLR style seat. The macneil post and seat are overbuilt for bmx. They have a super big , beefy bolt going thru the seat, the post is butted and clearly overbuilt, and it is designed to be thrown, smashed into the ground, and landed upon. Ill let you guess how long the slr seat lasts if your feet blow off the pedals. once.

Yes, you do loose fore and aft adjustment, but you gain a super large range of tilt adjustment that a normal post cannot offer. The macneil will never slip, either. It rocks.

A macneil pivotal style post that was pared down so it wasnt as overbuilt, along with a longer, more xc oriented seat that had the pivotal attachment would be considerably lighter and more comfortable then a slr type seat, not to mention infinatley more durable.

well, aside from the fore/aft adjustment being pretty important for xc people, theres also the issue with the pivotal system having to rely solely on seat cushion for chatter absorbtion, whereas the traditional system also has the flex in the rails and seat base to flex and provide a not negligible amount of vertical compliance.

i have to admit however that for its intended use, the concept is brilliant, i had never seen it before, so thanks for the heads up!

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Cool gizmo's I can think of are

*Headlock device to keep things tight
*GRC Levers, makes a world of difference on brake feel
*New grips never hurt (I like ODI Ruffian's), lock on only!
*QR Seat Clamp (cheap and every bike should have one)
*New tires........gotta get new ones every once in a while

Those are sorta the $75 and under deal. If you have to spend more than that then you're looking at serious upgrades, but any of those listed will make a difference right away. That's what counts the most isn' it?