Quantcast

Recommend me a digital camera

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm looking for something decent, not great... can't afford great. Perhaps 2-3 megapixel? I'm gonna try to get what y'all recommend on ebay, so it doesn't have to be a new model.

I want one that has expandable storage/cards... perhaps they all do? Dunno, never had one.

And I will be using mostly during biking and hiking, so I can't be fragile.

TIA for your suggestion!

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
My reccommendation is a canon, I haven't kept up to date with what they offer, however, I think I'd be looking at a A80 or similar. I've got a S40 and it's a nice camera, pretty heavy built, thus a little bulky, but I'd glady take well built over light and fragile. Pictures come out quite well, although Canon's software is average.
I'm not sure what their like, but the Sony P92 (5 megapixel) camera looks like a great deal.

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
I'd also recommend canon. I have a powershot a70 and its been nothing but perfect since I got it. 2 sets of rechargable batteries and I never run out of power. The camera has tons of features also, and the video it takes is really good!

dropkick

Chimp
Jul 3, 2004
Colorado
I'd say get a canon too. Check out dpreview.com for a ton of good reviews and sample photos.

I have an A80 and it has been great so far. Definitely recommended if you can find a good deal on one. I've heard good things about the A70 and A75 too.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I assume that the A60 is just as good with a lower resolution? Money's tight and it appears that the A70+ models on ebay go for ~$100 or more than the A60. So, would y'all recommend the A60?

Also, it appears the A60 comes wit 16Mb CF card. That sounds pretty low. How much memory would you recommend for weekend trips?

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
Opie, I have read good things about the A60 and right now Target has it on sale for 150. I think 64mb would be enough or maybe a 128. I was at one of the brands website and it said how many photos each size could hold, but I don't remember which one it was now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
LordOpie said:
I assume that the A60 is just as good with a lower resolution? Money's tight and it appears that the A70+ models on ebay go for ~$100 or more than the A60. So, would y'all recommend the A60?

Also, it appears the A60 comes wit 16Mb CF card. That sounds pretty low. How much memory would you recommend for weekend trips?
Get a 128mb card if you can, and yes, the A60 is the same quality as the A70 with a little lower resolution... Very nice little camera.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Canon all the way, but look in the Elph series (smaller) easier and lighter to carry while biking and hiking. Get also a 256mb 12x card minimum.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
LordOpie said:
How much memory would you recommend for weekend trips?
As much as freakin possible.

To give you an idea on storage, when the wife and I went to Europe in '02, I brought my 3.3 mp camera. We filled up 4 128 mb cards.

Edit: And I recommend Canon also. I have a G1 and an S500 and love them both.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i just got a Nikon coolpix 3200 with a 256 card i am real happy with it, i needed a quick point and shoot job, now for the SLR :evil:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thanks all! Good to know the A60 is almost as good as the A70... since I really shouldn't drop the money on the A60.

I've been annoyed with ebay buys lately and cnet.com lead me to buydig.com with the lowest price.

I think I'll buy the A60 + 256Mb card from them with S&H for $190. I'm sure I can save a few bucks with ebay, but the S&H says I should have it by next Friday for sure... and I'm going to Steamboat Springs for the weekend.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
LordOpie said:
Thanks all! Good to know the A60 is almost as good as the A70... since I really shouldn't drop the money on the A60.QUOTE]

We have 4 A60s at work with 128 MB cards. They are used extensively in the field (dusty, proly get dropped, damp NW weather, etc.). I have the bigger bro, the A70 w/128 MB card too. So far so good. Either way, you can't go wrong. If price is the issue, the A60 is plenty camera for the $$. All of the above is IMHO. Good luck, and post some photos!

Mike

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
I have a Sony DSC-S70 3.3 megapixel. It's a couple years old, but the image quality is excellent. The only thing that blows with this camera, and perhaps other digital cameras, is the 3 second delay I have from the time I press the button 'til the time the photo is actually taken. Do other digital cameras have this as well??? I'd like to know b/c for action shots while biking it's a pain in the ass. I have to time it just right otherwise I'll get a landing shot and not a mid-air shot. Does anyone have a digi that doesn't have this delay? Do they make one? thx

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
fuzzynutz said:
I have a Sony DSC-S70 3.3 megapixel. It's a couple years old, but the image quality is excellent. The only thing that blows with this camera, and perhaps other digital cameras, is the 3 second delay I have from the time I press the button 'til the time the photo is actually taken. Do other digital cameras have this as well??? I'd like to know b/c for action shots while biking it's a pain in the ass. I have to time it just right otherwise I'll get a landing shot and not a mid-air shot. Does anyone have a digi that doesn't have this delay? Do they make one? thx
Digicams are getting faster and faster. My G1 had a pretty slow startup time. My new S500 has a startup time that is about 1/4 the time. Shutdown time is faster, as is the time to it takes to focus.

When taking shots, do you pre-focus (push the button down halfway to set the focus) before you shoot?

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
no usually just hold down the button until it takes the photo, which is about 3 seconds.
will pre-focus cut the time down?

I should try some test photos....

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
There are Scandisk 256MB cf cards going very cheaply on ebay, which is the most storage for the money that I could find. I bought two for $27 each shipped.

However, this particular model is extremely slow when it comes to browsing through photos and transferring to pc. But no problem with write time, I can do 30 5MP shots in a row with quick shot mode and not run out of buffer.

I'm using a Canon S500. It's a nice little camera.