Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
Righto. I've got some things I'm looking for:

Full Susp. (obviously)
Very durable (so like, DH or FR?)
Gearing for uphill/flat/downhill.
19"/20" Frame size

Must be able to hold a 330lb rider with no major issues (if I have to replace the cranks that's fine with me -- I'm looking at getting Saint cranks anyways).

Things that would be nice but I don't require:
Plenty of (6+ inches) suspension travel
Hydraulic Brakes
Sub 40lbs

Looking at $1000 and less.

Will be used to commute, go off jumps, and ride trails. So pretty much an all-purpose bike.

Thanks.

jsm11

Chimp
Jun 17, 2008
How tall are you fool?
Leg inseam?

Look at standover, and top tube length to determine the right frame size....

http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-2354/?catid=searchresults&searchid=8809

http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-3242/?catid=searchresults&searchid=8809
http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-2979/
http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-2821/

1) BUY USED.******************

2) THROW A ROCK, There are tons of DH/Freeride rigs for sale right now for well under a GRAND..... The market is stagnant, and these bikes are literally beig given away.
3) You can swoop up bikes that were worth 4k+ for very little considering the bike you get.

I say find an older Big Hit... I have two that I bought used and they are bombproof. I have never and you will never see a broken one. My brother occassionally rides and he is nearer #300 lbs. every day.

Whatever you buy save yourself some cushion room and take it w/ a grain of salt there are likely to be something that needs to be tweaked....
----Or you will have to pay to have it put back together or adjusted from the LBS...

pinkbike
mtbr
ebay
bustedspoke

Go get a used one and ride it like you stole it............

Last edited:

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
I'm 6'1" and ride a 20" Giant Rincon right now... And the standover height on the Rincon is right up on my crotch at the lowest point. But it's comfortable to ride at that height. Hence 19"/20" frame.

I figured I would have to buy used. I'm in a bike shop every day now drooling over the Kona Stinky Deluxe that is inside (it belongs to one of the shop owners), but looking at the price tags for Stinkys and Dawgs next to it makes me cry. Even when I go to the other bike shop (the one I get my bike serviced at), the cheapest FS rig is a Giant Trance X1 for $1800.

BigHit... Something I hadn't stopped to remember. I know they're good bikes, One of my friends has one. I should really look into that.

Also, I don't have my inseam memorized but I know my leg length is 32".

jsm11

Chimp
Jun 17, 2008
Be patient, the deal will surface...
Stinky's are all over from well under a G considering the design has been relatively unchanged since earlier this decade.

You'll want much more standover on a dh/freeride rig....You will not want the tuptube near you crotch at all on these bikes they are drastically different machines. Look for top tube length to be very important...I prefer around 32 give or take.....Good baseline. My inseam is 32-34.

Save some money to get good brakes........they make all the difference.....the new Avid Codes are a super deal....

jsm11

Chimp
Jun 17, 2008
I got three Haro X6's from 2004...I went a little crazy that year...:)

Great all round frame that can pedal....
The X7 is even better....More travel + more fun on the way down.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
:spam:

I have a GT DHI for sale, size large. It sure as heck won't get you up much, but it will get you down just about anything!

:spam:
The dude is wanting to use this bike for commuting, and you are trying to sell a 330 pound dude a downhill bike for commuting.
Worst spammer ever.:rofl::rofl:

What's your next post going to be?

NAME BRAND SHOES!
NIKE PUMA FUBU
click here for price!

:biggrin:

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
You'll want much more standover on a dh/freeride rig....You will not want the tuptube near you crotch at all on these bikes they are drastically different machines. Look for top tube length to be very important...I prefer around 32 give or take.....Good baseline. My inseam is 32-34.

Save some money to get good brakes........they make all the difference.....the new Avid Codes are a super deal....
Why, specifically, will I want more standover on a fr/dh rig?

Standover on the 20" Rincon frame is 30.2 inches and touches my crotch.

I know about brakes. Part of the reason why I mentioned hydraulic brakes. My current bike has mechanical discs and the brake feel is close to rim brakes... whereas the time I rode a bike with hydraulic brakes it was ****ing phenominal.

I got three Haro X6's from 2004...I went a little crazy that year...:)

Great all round frame that can pedal....
The X7 is even better....More travel + more fun on the way down.
Haro X6 or X7 then, noted. Thanks.

The dude is wanting to use this bike for commuting, and you are trying to sell a 330 pound dude a downhill bike for commuting.
Worst spammer ever.:rofl::rofl:
No, I want a hella beefy bike that will never break that I will just happen to use for commuting too. The bike I have now is like an all-purpose-ish bike and as it's my only one, I use it for everything. Commuting to trail riding, etc.

My mom agreed to buy me a new, beefier bike, under the condition she gets my old one.

Truth be told, my dream bike right now is a Giant Glory DH... but it's MSRP is $4700 and there's no way I can muster that. Admittedly, though, I'd still be hella stoked if I got a Stinky, as they're ****ing sweet too.