Quantcast

Recommend me some good Ska Tunes/Bands Please!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Oh boy...where shall I start...let's break this into trad-styled and ska-punk styled...

Toasters
Slackers
Allstonians
Skavoovie & the Epitones
Isaac Green & the Skalars
Radiation Kings

Metro Stylee
Pilfers
Spring Heeled Jack
Dance Hall Crashers (though they don't like being called ska)
Edna's Goldfish
Pietasters
Animal Chin
Siren 6!
Mephiskapheles

Many of these bands above are defunct but almost all of them have myspace pages where you can sample some of their music. Many of the albums will be out of print or hard to find, especially since Moon Ska went under.

Feel free to ask away as I had a close connection w/ the late 90's/early 00's ska scene and still have a soft spot in my heart for the music. I have seen almost all of those bands on multiple occassions and probably own most of each bands' releases.

-ska todd

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Oh boy...where shall I start...let's break this into trad-styled and ska-punk styled...

Toasters
Slackers
Allstonians

Skavoovie & the Epitones
Radiation Kings

Metro Stylee
Pilfers
Spring Heeled Jack
Edna's Goldfish
Pietasters
Animal Chin
Siren 6!
Mephiskapheles

Many of these bands above are defunct but almost all of them have myspace pages where you can sample some of their music. Many of the albums will be out of print or hard to find, especially since Moon Ska went under.

Feel free to ask away as I had a close connection w/ the late 90's/early 00's ska scene and still have a soft spot in my heart for the music. I have seen almost all of those bands on multiple occassions and probably own most of each bands' releases.

-ska todd
no mention of Bim Skala Bim?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson

Toasters
Slackers
Allstonians
Skavoovie & the Epitones
Radiation Kings

Metro Stylee
Pilfers
Spring Heeled Jack
Edna's Goldfish
Pietasters
Animal Chin
Siren 6!
Mephiskapheles

-ska todd
Awesome...time to hit Pandora. Thanks! Nothing like ska to pump up a monday afternoon :thumb:

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
God Bless Satan by the Mephiskapheles is fun.
Yeah, that whole album is a lot of fun. My favorites off the album are Doomsday, Saba, Shotgun, and of course the Bumblebee Tuna jingle.

Some other favs include Mr Cranky and Los Miserables Brass Band.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
No mention of Long Island's own Scofflaws?
I could never get into the Scofflaws personally. Always too bar room shtick for me. "William Shatner" was a fun sing along though. I lump em along w/ Spider Nick. Scofflaws, Spider Nick, One Groovy Coconut, and Blue Beats are essentially all the same band (original Scofflaws) w/ revolving line-ups. Out of the Long Island bands of the period I prefer the more energetic, all ages targeted bands like Edna's Goldfish & Step Lively. Deja 1 shows anyone?

When I want bar style drunkards I personally opt for the Pietasters.

-ska todd

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I could never get into the Scofflaws personally. Always too bar room shtick for me. "William Shatner" was a fun sing along though.
Ahah. Yes, I recall the 'Enterprise under attack, stumble from one side of the room to the other' breakdown the couple of times I saw them.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The Toasters
Less Than Jake

Thoes are 2 newer bands but I like them.

Old bands of course would have to be The Skatelites.

Get a ska compilation like skamageddon or something from the old Moon Ska record label.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Get a ska compilation like skamageddon or something from the old Moon Ska record label.
Skarmageddon comps were ok for discovering new bands but generally filled w/ crap. Two of my favorite 90's ska comps were "Girls Go Ska" and "Welcome to Skannecticut". The Moon Ska promo samplers were usually decent too.

-ska todd

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
God Bless Satan by the Mephiskapheles is fun.
That's a very awesome CD. I don't know why I think they're similar, but if you like Mephiskapheles, there is a good chance you'll like the Blue Meanies, too. Definatly not in the same vein, but good music none the less.

I think ska-todd already recommended The Slackers. I can not urge you to check them out enough. They are awesome.

Also, if you're into that internet thing, try and check out the new Big D and The Kids Table album, Strictly Rude. They're known for playing lots of ska-punk, but this new album has loads of more traditional songs on it. Not to mention, a few of the dub tracks on there are good, too.

The Planet Smashers are always good for a listen. Check into them. The Cat Empire is a Australian band that does a lot of fun stuff. Not all of it is ska, but most take advantage of their jazzy-ska-bigband sound. The Hub City Stompers are fun, as well.

And if you want ska-punk, defiantly check out the Arrogant Sons Of Bitches, ASOB. The Sonic Boom Six, is fun, too. Someone already mentioned Streetlight Manifesto, but they are nearly life-changing.

There are too many good ska bands to recommend!

PS: Bikegeek, that's probably the best avatar ever. Were you one of the cool kids with a tattoo?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Skarmageddon comps were ok for discovering new bands but generally filled w/ crap. Two of my favorite 90's ska comps were "Girls Go Ska" and "Welcome to Skannecticut". The Moon Ska promo samplers were usually decent too.

-ska todd
of course, there's always the definitive ska compilation (i wonder if i still have my old copy):

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
for PUNK ROCK SKA, I am suprised to not see mention (unless I missed it) of Operation Ivy (one of my all time favs.) I saw them when I was like 15... they pulled up in this old 70's station wagon with a metal box welded to the roof, they proced to pull their equipment out, including little 10 watt practice amps that could have been the main contributing factor in their skanky sound! They were really a fun band!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Fuggin cool thread. The Allstonians played on my roof on Allston St. We tried to recreate the U2 video where the cops came and made them stop playing. Nobody called the cops though. Fun times....

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Bikegeek, that's probably the best avatar ever. Were you one of the cool kids with a tattoo?
Heh, nope, but I thought about getting one. Probably best that I didn't since I got into them late and probably didn't see enough shows to have broken even on the ink. I did see them at least 6 or 7 times though, including an awesome set at the Simple Machines Records "funeral" in DC and a gig in San Diego where I snuck out of a dinner with the company CEO to attend the show.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra
And that reminds me of a GREAT Japanese ska band named Kemuri. I saw them twice, once at "Ska Against Racism" in 97 or so and another time opening for Mustard Plug(?). SO much energy and just totally tight.

Big D and The Kids Table
& Arrogant Sons Of Bitches, ASOB.
I saw Big D open for Metro Stylee back around 98 and thought nothing of them really. Low and behold they stuck it out and have become one of the acts holding the scene together. Kudos to them for that. Same for ASOB, them and little Long Island bands like Sprout, Seven to One, and tons of others used to always open the local shows here. You'd never have thunk they'd develop into something "big" of sorts in the scene.

Fuggin cool thread. The Allstonians played on my roof on Allston St.
And an Allstonian owns a bike shop in Somerville :thumb:

-ska todd